LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

49ers vs Broncos blacked out in bay area on nfl-network??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I called directv because even though I could watch NFL-Network HD I couldn't record the programming. Turns out it's a nationwide problem that they are working to fix(might have been fixed by now).

While I was on the phone with the rep he mentioned that NFL network decided that when games don't sellout they will blackout the tv market of the home team AND the visiting team (not that it had anything to do with my issue, just chatting while my receiver was re-booted).

He mentioned that the 49ers vs Broncos game was going to blacked out in both teams home market. He also mentioned the game would be shown on a local denver channel (not nfl network) but he wasn't sure about the 49ers.
[ Edited by nflguy49 on Aug 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM ]
it should show locally. its not like its nfl network analysis doing the playcalling. just like the jets rams game is a cbs game.
Does NFL network usually broadcast games that are also available on a local channel (cbs, fox etc)? I know they show re-peats of the games but I don't recall them showing a live broadcast that was on other channels as well.
[ Edited by nflguy49 on Aug 14, 2009 at 5:24 PM ]
our games are never blacked out
if your local, just watch KPIX (Channel 5)....

I wish NFL Network would hurry up and go HD in Canada
Originally posted by King49er:

pfff... Canadia...

Originally posted by Rikimaru03:

pfff... Canadia...

Watching NFL games in non HD is soooo 2007
I would imagine the reason it is blacked out in both home team markets is because of local television coverage

Thats standard practice in other leagues

lol

• zero
  • Veteran
watch it here in an hour, I also posted the link in the "2008 guide to watching niner games on the internet" thread

http://orkutcric.blogspot.com/
Having the same problem here in LA. I can see the game, but can't record it on my Directv DVR. It's a copyright issue. The program is being blocked via Digital Copyrights Management. You can't record the HD broadcast, but you can record the SD version.

[ Edited by Rojo49 on Aug 14, 2009 at 6:03 PM ]
The broadcast flag concept was developed by Fox Broadcasting in 2001 and was supported by the MPAA and the FCC. A ruling in May 2005 by a US Court of Appeals held that the FCC lacked authority to impose it on the TV industry in the US. It required that all HDTVs obey a stream specification determining whether or not a stream can be recorded. This could block instances of fair use, such as time-shifting.[citation needed] It achieved more success elsewhere when it was adopted by the Digital Video Broadcasting Project (DVB), a consortium of about 250 broadcasters, manufactures, network operators, software developers, and regulatory bodies from about 35 countries involved in attempting to develop new digital TV standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_flag
Originally posted by Rojo49:
Having the same problem here in LA. I can see the game, but can't record it on my Directv DVR. It's a copyright issue. The program is being blocked via Digital Copyrights Management. You can't record the HD broadcast, but you can record the SD version.

does it tell you this when you set your DVR? I set mine to record the HD Brodcast and had no issue... I tried it on both the local station and NFL network
Im in texas, the game is still gonna come on right? On the network, please dont ruin my evening!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone