LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 148 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS vs. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS GAMEDAY THREAD (Game 2 [Home Opener])

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't think vernon davis is a "secret" anything. People know about him and he is very good. Just to give you an idea about curry's athletic abilities here are some of his numbers from the combine versus those of the top TE in each category for this last draft plus VDs numbers when he went thru the combine.

40 yard dash
Curry- 4.56 seconds TE- 4.5 seconds VD- 4.38 seconds
Bench
Curry- 25 reps TE- 28 reps VD- 33 reps
Vertical leap
Curry- 37" TE- 41" VD- 42"
Broad jump
Curry- 10'4" TE- 10'3" VD- 10' 8"

Curry is listed as 6'2", 254lbs. VD is listed as 6'3", 250lbs.

Curry was right in there numbers wise with the top TEs in this years draft. VD had better numbers but they are both strong physical guys. I dont know that curry will be the only guy to draw the VD assignment this week, but when he does I think it will be worth paying attention to.

Here is the link to Curry's combine profile if anybody cares.

Curry
Curry is BAD ASS!!! Nice pickup!
Our defensive front seven can be just as good as any in the league. Even better our corners are very solid now that we have the flexibility and depth to put Dre Bly as our nickel corner. We gave Warner fits all day.

Now with that said, Warner is nowhere near as mobile as Hasselbeck is. Meaning we can't expect to get to Hasselback in the same amount of time as we did with Warner. We have to get there faster and make sure we wrap him up. Hasselbeck is a great passer on the run.
As far as offense goes, do the Seahawks really think Gore will only have 30 yards rushing like he did last week. Not with our stubborn Offensive Coordinator. He kept running even though we were getting stuffed all day.

Being able to run on Seattle will all the difference in the world. I'm not sold on Herring giving you the same production Hill does. Our run game will slow down Seattle's pass rush. I know Kearney is a beast on the edge and Snyder our RT did not look good. So we have to run way more effectively.
Betterdayz9ers - I would have been very worried about going against good corners in every of the past three years, but I honestly think we have a receiving corps that can handle virtually ANY challenge. Our TE, John Carlson, seems unstoppable; I think he now warrants extra coverage, and that will just open up Houshmandzadeh/Burleson more. Burleson has always been a YAC threat when he gets the ball while healthy, he has just had problems staying healthy thus far. Houshmandzadeh...well, he speaks for himself. Leading receiver in the entire NFL for the last four years in total number of catches; that tells you, point-blank, he is hard to cover. Also, Carlson is a huge TE; He's 6'5", 251lbs. Larry Fitzgerald, for instance, is 6'3" and 217lbs. It's going to be hard for one person to cover Carlson consistently without drawing penalties.

To address your question about Gore; no, nobody really thinks we're going to hold Gore to 30 yards. If we do, half of that will be because your offensive coordinator is being a stubborn old fart :) I'm amazed what Gore was held to last week...
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
As far as offense goes, do the Seahawks really think Gore will only have 30 yards rushing like he did last week. Not with our stubborn Offensive Coordinator. He kept running even though we were getting stuffed all day.

Being able to run on Seattle will all the difference in the world. I'm not sold on Herring giving you the same production Hill does. Our run game will slow down Seattle's pass rush. I know Kearney is a beast on the edge and Snyder our RT did not look good. So we have to run way more effectively.

Kerney switched sides and will end up spending most of his time matching up against your LT. Cory Redding is on the left side now. That dude is a monster too. He is a big 294lb DE. I guess they plan to line him up at DT for some plays as well though.
oh gawd here comes the trolls.
I sure hope Jimmy Raye has a better game plan to get the offense going early . We need to get our crowd into the game so we can try to disrupt the Seahawks & cause some 3 & outs or turnovers.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
oh gawd here comes the trolls.

I don't see any Seahawks trolls...who are you referring to?
Originally posted by tohara3:
I sure hope Jimmy Raye has a better game plan to get the offense going early . We need to get our crowd into the game so we can try to disrupt the Seahawks & cause some 3 & outs or turnovers.

good team to do it is on the seahags lol, remember frank gore had his best game against the seahags with 212 rushing yards, we can run on the seahags all day long.

man I can't wait for sunday
Originally posted by RolandDeschain:
Betterdayz9ers - I would have been very worried about going against good corners in every of the past three years, but I honestly think we have a receiving corps that can handle virtually ANY challenge. Our TE, John Carlson, seems unstoppable; I think he now warrants extra coverage, and that will just open up Houshmandzadeh/Burleson more. Burleson has always been a YAC threat when he gets the ball while healthy, he has just had problems staying healthy thus far. Houshmandzadeh...well, he speaks for himself. Leading receiver in the entire NFL for the last four years in total number of catches; that tells you, point-blank, he is hard to cover. Also, Carlson is a huge TE; He's 6'5", 251lbs. Larry Fitzgerald, for instance, is 6'3" and 217lbs. It's going to be hard for one person to cover Carlson consistently without drawing penalties.

To address your question about Gore; no, nobody really thinks we're going to hold Gore to 30 yards. If we do, half of that will be because your offensive coordinator is being a stubborn old fart :) I'm amazed what Gore was held to last week...

We can't start comparing Carlson to Fitzgerald. Besides corners will not cover Carlson. That task will be up to our LB's. Willis, enough said about his abilities. The key is Manny Lawson. This guy freakishly athletic. He has enough speed to cover most TE's. He goes against Vernon Davis everyday in practice. Davis has to be the fastest TE in the league. Lawson has done well in coverage when asked to.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
man I can't wait for sunday

still trying to figure out if i should sport my crabtree jersey or not lol , i might just go with my nate clements one haha, dang i really need a pwilly home jersey though. well be 4hrs early as usual throwing the pig skin around till game day haha.
good team to do it is on the seahags lol, remember frank gore had his best game against the seahags with 212 rushing yards, we can run on the seahags all day long.
Without a doubt gore is one of the reasons the hawks made an effort to improve on run defense this year. We brought in cory redding and colin cole to help with this. We have redding at LE and he is weighing in at about 294lbs. Mebane is playing the 3 technique and he has actually cut weight to get down to 301. Cole is a massive 330lb nose tackle. At RE we have a kerney who is about 274lbs and (knock on wood) is healthy so far. Plus we brought in curry to the LB core which is supposed to be a huge thing for us. Tatupu is always solid. Sucks that hill is out, but we are going to have to deal with that and move on. Then a more well know fact is the new coaching regime. Defensive minded guys that want to make us more aggressive and tough on defense. We gave steven jackson the business last week and I am looking forward to seeing how we handle gore. Like a lot of people have said on here, this game will be a good measuring stick for our teams.
Originally posted by Hawksfan81:
Without a doubt gore is one of the reasons the hawks made an effort to improve on run defense this year. We brought in cory redding and colin cole to help with this. We have redding at LE and he is weighing in at about 294lbs. Mebane is playing the 3 technique and he has actually cut weight to get down to 301. Cole is a massive 330lb nose tackle. At RE we have a kerney who is about 274lbs and (knock on wood) is healthy so far. Plus we brought in curry to the LB core which is supposed to be a huge thing for us. Tatupu is always solid. Sucks that hill is out, but we are going to have to deal with that and move on. Then a more well know fact is the new coaching regime. Defensive minded guys that want to make us more aggressive and tough on defense. We gave steven jackson the business last week and I am looking forward to seeing how we handle gore. Like a lot of people have said on here, this game will be a good measuring stick for our teams.
I think a lot of teams, especially in our division will notice how more physical we are now. This is not Martz having JT Sullivan sitting back waiting for receivers to get open.

You're right this is good measuring stick for our teams. If it's new blood in the NFC West then let it be. I just know we are long overdue. We want it bad. A lot pundits think Arizona can still contend for the division. I say SB hangover, plus both coordinators left, too much to overcome. St.Louis better hope they can at least be competitive in games. If not Spags will looking real hard at McCoy, Bradford or Tebow.
Share 49ersWebzone