There are 174 users in the forums

When will Michael Crabtree be signed?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

When will Michael Crabtree be signed?

Originally posted by philmo:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Here is another evil guy in history: Barry Sanders.

In 1989, Barry Sanders signed his contract three days before the start of the regular season, in a prolonged salary dispute, and through his agent was able to get a 5 year, $6.1 million contract. The player drafted in front of him, Tony Manderich, signed a 4 year deal for $4.4 million. Quick math. Who got more?

"But, MadDog, I am so confused. I thought my entire life that Barry Sanders was a good guy. Maybe I was wrong all along. He didn't sign until just before the draft, so he must be evil and greedy. He's just a bad guy."

Sanders donates more than $200,000 dollars directly after signing to help build Paradise Baptist Church in his home town. I guess that doesn't count.

"We must obey the slot system. Otherwise, it will be the fall of western civilization."

Sanders, the number three pick, signs for substantially more than Tony Manderich, the number two.

Just example #45867 in my crushing of the two moronic throughts of the day from people all around the country that have no idea what they are talking about: 1) that players who do not sign and report to camp on time are evil, greedy, divas, heartless, baby-killers; and 2) that the slotting system is followed religiously, without exception, without excuses.

Someone else's turn to make an excuse. Ready, set, go.

Comparing the two is just idiotic. I don't think people think he is bad just because he is holding out, it is because he is a diva who has always cared more about himself than his team. And look at what you wrote Sanders signed for one year longer and instead of 1.1 million a year he got 1.2 million a year. Diva doesn't want 10% more than the pick ahead of him, he wants top 5 money which is 250% percent per year more than his slot. Lets see 10% and 250% yeah thats a great comparison.

Oh and back to my original point Sanders was a good guy, so him holding out wasn't something people got down on him for, but Crabtree is and always has been an as#hole, this is just another incident of him caring about himself more than the team.

Top 5 money is a leverage tool. We negotiate the same way in every day life. I don't know why people have a hard time understanding this, since they barter this way all the time.

For instance, you see a vendor selling t-shirts at a fair, and he marks them at $10. You want to buy at $7. Do you intially offer them $7? No. They have established their starting number, and you better establish you starting number lower than $7. In the end, you work your way to the middle.

In the example of Crabtree, if Crabtree initially demands DHB money, and the Niners start at the basic slot money for a number 10, where is the negotiation going to end? It is not going to end at DHB money. It will go for substantially less.

So, if it is true that Parker is asking for Top 5 money (which is speculation as well, since Parker has never given a number), it is a starting negotiation number.
Originally posted by 49erFan:
Originally posted by backontop:
I'm just glad that the rumor of Parker threatening to have him hold out the whole year has been denied. That would have been beyond silly...

I think MadDog49er is correct when he says, Crabs is not evil because his agent is trying to get him the most money possible. It's business. Crabtree plays football and hired a business man to take care of the business side.

I still do believe however, that the 49ers need to be tough in this negotiation. They are going to have to give a little, but they don't have to bend over and take it dry either...

The agent is saying that he is not pushing his client to hold out and re-enter the draft. Again it is Crabtree's cousin saying this based on what Crabtree has told his cousin.

I understand. The last I had heard earlier today, was that it was Parker himself...

I'm not nearly as concerned with a he said/she said report of the cousin saying what Crabs "supposedly" said.

Perhaps he did indeed say that. I don't really know. If he does hold out and re-enter the draft, that would be an extremely poor decision, and I really don't think his agent would be acting for his clients best interests, if he were to allow that to happen.

At this point I'm not willing to throw the kid under the bus.

no agent works for the best interest of their client. They work for the best interest of their wallet. The more money the player gets the more kickback the agent gets.

I agree that agents are certainly looking to line their own pockets with as much green as possible. That's part of the game...

The difference of course, is if he signs Crabs to a bigger deal than the 10 "slot" should get, they both get more money. If Crabs were to holdout for the year and re-enter the draft, they would both lose alot of money.

I doubt that he would be Crabtrees agent next year if he were to hold out and re-enter the draft. All another top agent would have to do is say "unlike that other loser I will get you a contract" and bam new agent.
I doubt that he would be Crabtrees agent next year if he were to hold out and re-enter the draft. All another top agent would have to do is say "unlike that other loser I will get you a contract" and bam new agent.

I agree. If he were to lose the year and re-enter the draft he would have a new agent.
I'm just glad that the rumor of Parker threatening to have him hold out the whole year has been denied. That would have been beyond silly...

I think MadDog49er is correct when he says, Crabs is not evil because his agent is trying to get him the most money possible. It's business. Crabtree plays football and hired a business man to take care of the business side.

I still do believe however, that the 49ers need to be tough in this negotiation. They are going to have to give a little, but they don't have to bend over and take it dry either...

The agent is saying that he is not pushing his client to hold out and re-enter the draft. Again it is Crabtree's cousin saying this based on what Crabtree has told his cousin.

I understand. The last I had heard earlier today, was that it was Parker himself...

I'm not nearly as concerned with a he said/she said report of the cousin saying what Crabs "supposedly" said.

Perhaps he did indeed say that. I don't really know. If he does hold out and re-enter the draft, that would be an extremely poor decision, and I really don't think his agent would be acting for his clients best interests, if he were to allow that to happen.

Come on. You need to become emotional, mindless. Get with it.

Who needs facts, history, an understanding that nobody clearly can tell what it happening behind the scenes, what is being "demanded".

Furthermore, Parker is a bad guy, Crabtree is a bad guy, the NFL slotting system always fits into the specific order, with no exceptions.

Cheers.

P.S. Get more emotional and make irrational judgments and statements.

Who needs facts, history, an understanding that nobody clearly can tell what it happening behind the scenes, what is being "demanded".

Furthermore, Parker is a bad guy, Crabtree is a bad guy, the NFL slotting system always fits into the specific order, with no exceptions.

Cheers.

or you can just ignore the real situation and throw so called facts that don't relate to the situation and claim that you are being level headed and know more than everyone else on the forum.

Cheers.

Hahaha... I'm not drunk enough yet!

Cheers to you as well!
Right now this is just business and yes it is just about the money. I can't see getting so upset with Crabtree or his agent ...... the NFL needs to fix this process. Yeah if he actually sat out the entire year I could see being so angry if the NINER'S got nothing for their pick.

A deal gets done and most of this is forgotten if he turns out to be productive for the team.

[ Edited by 49ERGUY on Aug 6, 2009 at 19:15:15 ]
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
Right now this is just business and yes it is just about the money. I can't see getting so upset with Crabtree or his agent ...... the NFL needs to fix this process. Yeah if he actually sat out the entire year I could see being so angry if the NINER'S got nothing for their pick.

A deal gets done and most of this is forgotten if he turns out to be productive for the team.

I think the reason everyone is so upset is because we all wanted to believe that the reports of him being a diva and not caring about anyone but himself weren't true. But the season hasn't even started yet and he is already proving that is exactly what he is. If he was just saying well I just want a little more money than the 8 or 9 pick. But no he is saying I want as much money as the top 3 picks in the draft. Oh and by the way if I don't get it I will just sit out the year and re-enter the draft.
This thread is epic.... How many of us were calling Crabtree the steal of the draft? I know that very few people thought Crabtree would even be available at 10. When all of the "experts" were grading our drafts and giving us As no one had a problem with the Crabtree pick.

Now that he isn't signed all I hear about is how Crabs was a waste of a pick (big change from 4 months ago) and how the 49ers don't need him (yeah right we wouldn't have taken him if that was the case)

Good luck guys with your temper tantrums... it isn't even your money. They guy is better than 10, people get paid higher than when they are drafted all the f**king time. So quit being all righteous. I swear some of you whine more than a four year old girl that had their favorite dolly stolen.

how hasent anybody got that Crabtree never said I will sit out the season it was his cousin

Originally posted by DANADA:
how hasent anybody got that Crabtree never said I will sit out the season it was his cousin

seriously.

I think the reason everyone is so upset is because we all wanted to believe that the reports of him being a diva and not caring about anyone but himself weren't true. But the season hasn't even started yet and he is already proving that is exactly what he is. If he was just saying well I just want a little more money than the 8 or 9 pick. But no he is saying I want as much money as the top 3 picks in the draft. Oh and by the way if I don't get it I will just sit out the year and re-enter the draft.

Did I miss something,I never heard he was wanting #3 money?I haven't heard any official numbers made public yet.There is no way the kid doesn't sign though,it hurts him much more than the niners.He wouldn't be able to work out for another team until after next years draft.We own him already,his agent is just trying to get as much cheese as he can so he can get more clients.It is in the best interests of everyone involved to get the kid into camp asap.
Originally posted by momoney925:

seriously.

your ok momoney925

[ Edited by DANADA on Aug 6, 2009 at 19:23:26 ]

You need to get upset, and then live in a fantasy world of speculation. There is no room to sit back and not make a snap judgment.

He wants top 3 money because.....nobody said so. But I feel that he wants it, and since I want to believe it, it must be true. And he wants top 5 money because...nobody said so. But I know he demands it, and that makes him evil.

Now, wait a minute, was he demanding top 3 money, or top 5 money, or was it simply more than DHB? Oh, the truth doesn't matter. Just pick one and begin to feel angry.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by momoney925:

seriously.

your ok momoney925

His cousin that said it is his advisor, so he may have and may have not said it. Time will tell.
Share 49ersWebzone