LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

When will Michael Crabtree be signed?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

When will Michael Crabtree be signed?

• wolfpack219
  • Info N/A
This is just getting ridiculous! I know he wants his money but maybe we keep the guaranteed money down on the contract and add tons of incentives if he actually plays up to the standards he thinks he is.
don't expect him to sign until before the arizona game, possibly a little after i say.
im gonna post "tomorrow" everyday until im right
Crabtree makes me sad
This is really starting to piss me off.
Man I thought something would be happening this week but there isn't even a peep about him signing or even negiotations getting better. Dam
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Man I thought something would be happening this week but there isn't even a peep about him signing or even negiotations getting better. Dam

That's because Niners have too much to lose if they deviate 3 slots from this slotting system.

What's even better is that Crabtree has too much to lose if he sits.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Craptree = greedy douche bag.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I don't know if it's arrogance, ignorance or both that has Crabtree and his agent not trying to defuse or abate the increasing fan negativity about his holdout. Business or not, fans are getting pi$$ed and rightfully so. If he and his agent cared anything about the people that ultimately support him (by buying tickets, jerseys, autographs, the products he endorses, etc), Crabtree would be doing some type of damage control to his image.
The current "strategy", if there is one, is backfiring and he's going to have to have a monster 1st year to overcome the backlash that ensues. Why couldn't he just make some kind of vanilla statement acknowledging the fans' impatience, his own desire to get on the field, etc., without necessarily acquiescing to management's proposals? Seems like a good PR move to me, and unless he's willing to sit out the season (Dumb!), you know he's going to ultimately have to take less than what he wants anyway. It just seems badly mismanaged to me. JMHO

Good questions raised.

First, Parker has never been a person to discuss contract situations with the general public, since it is a losing battle. Nobody ever supports labor over management. So, this would only stoke outrage, and distract him from working with his client.

Second, Parker honestly doesn't care about public sentiment. He is not a politician who needs to gain public support. There are no elections, he cannot be booted off an island. He is a sports agent, who is focused on his client. Public support, or lack of support, is meaningless.

Third, once Crabtree signs, all will be well. All the negative emotions that fans insert into contract negotiations evaporate. The fans welcome the player back as a hero (from chanting F#*^ Crabtree to buying his jersey), and everybody moves on.

Parker has been through these protracted contract negotiations many times, most recently with Steven Jackson and Jason Peters. Jackson was able to gain a huge contract last season. Peters eventually reported to camp, but demanded a trade once the season was finished. He got what he wished for. With his trade to the Eagles, Parker persuaded the Eagles to tear up the old contract, and offer a gigantic new one. The guy is really good at what he does.

One of the classic delayed signings was Barry Sanders, who ended up gaining a larger contract than the player drafted above him, Tony Manderich. Sanders signed just three days before the season began, the fans welcomed him, and the rest is history. Nobody but astute NFL fans even remember Sanders' delayed contract signing.

P.S. The delay in signing shows that both sides are going to have to move toward the middle to get this done. Neither side is going to get all they want, and neither side is going to cave completely to the opposition's wishes. Once the two sides can create a unique contract that satisfies both parties, it will get done.

If Crabs starts missing regular season games doesn't his guaranteed money start to drop considering he wouldn't be getting game checks?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I don't know if it's arrogance, ignorance or both that has Crabtree and his agent not trying to defuse or abate the increasing fan negativity about his holdout. Business or not, fans are getting pi$$ed and rightfully so. If he and his agent cared anything about the people that ultimately support him (by buying tickets, jerseys, autographs, the products he endorses, etc), Crabtree would be doing some type of damage control to his image.
The current "strategy", if there is one, is backfiring and he's going to have to have a monster 1st year to overcome the backlash that ensues. Why couldn't he just make some kind of vanilla statement acknowledging the fans' impatience, his own desire to get on the field, etc., without necessarily acquiescing to management's proposals? Seems like a good PR move to me, and unless he's willing to sit out the season (Dumb!), you know he's going to ultimately have to take less than what he wants anyway. It just seems badly mismanaged to me. JMHO

Good questions raised.

First, Parker has never been a person to discuss contract situations with the general public, since it is a losing battle. Nobody ever supports labor over management. So, this would only stoke outrage, and distract him from working with his client.

Second, Parker honestly doesn't care about public sentiment. He is not a politician who needs to gain public support. There are no elections, he cannot be booted off an island. He is a sports agent, who is focused on his client. Public support, or lack of support, is meaningless.

Third, once Crabtree signs, all will be well. All the negative emotions that fans insert into contract negotiations evaporate. The fans welcome the player back as a hero (from chanting F#*^ Crabtree to buying his jersey), and everybody moves on.

Parker has been through these protracted contract negotiations many times, most recently with Steven Jackson and Jason Peters. Jackson was able to gain a huge contract last season. Peters eventually reported to camp, but demanded a trade once the season was finished. He got what he wished for. With his trade to the Eagles, Parker persuaded the Eagles to tear up the old contract, and offer a gigantic new one. The guy is really good at what he does.

One of the classic delayed signings was Barry Sanders, who ended up gaining a larger contract than the player drafted above him, Tony Manderich. Sanders signed just three days before the season began, the fans welcomed him, and the rest is history. Nobody but astute NFL fans even remember Sanders' delayed contract signing.

P.S. The delay in signing shows that both sides are going to have to move toward the middle to get this done. Neither side is going to get all they want, and neither side is going to cave completely to the opposition's wishes. Once the two sides can create a unique contract that satisfies both parties, it will get done.

As always, very logical points. I'm just suggesting that a few non-committal words from Crabtree (not Parker) would go a long way, right now, to helping defuse negative fan emotions. Of course, once signed and he delivers on his promise, all will be forgiven, but RIGHT NOW, many of us are po'd and are starting to, if not already, believe that all the Diva, attitude problem talk was true. We could use a little reassurance, now, not later, that Crabs is a regular guy and actually cares about the fans enough to address the growing negativity he must, by now, bw aware of. Pollyannaish? Yeah, probably, but as you know, emotions run strong in sports, and especially Ninerland! Emotions have no business in negotiations, yes, but knowing that doesn't really help with each day that goes by with no word. Excuse me while I take a Valium.

Every agent has their style. He's surely not a Drew Rosenhaus, isn't he?
Parker will slowly, methodically, quietly work with the Niners to create a nice contract for Crabtree. He is one of the best.

Meanwhile, I think the Niners are also taking a low key approach, as well. No outward emotion on either side. Only the fans are worked up at this point.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 18, 2009 at 12:05 PM ]

whistle the jeopardy song as we wait

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Funny. I'll say "Day after tomorrow."

actully on NFL network last night said that , the two sides are not talking it's kind of take it or leave it offer from the 49ers we are not paying you like the 7th overall !
Originally posted by cNiner:

actully on NFL network last night said that , the two sides are not talking it's kind of take it or leave it offer from the 49ers we are not paying you like the 7th overall !

wow, this sucks. While I think the 9ers are doing the right thing by not giving him what he wants, I was kindda hoping they would budge a bit and meet at a happy medium. Guess not.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Funny. I'll say "Day after tomorrow."

we'll all be right!!!
Share 49ersWebzone