LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

I see the post but not the poll. Pay him?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

I see the post but not the poll. Pay him?

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
it would be stupid to pay him top 3 money, i dont care if scoty thought he was top 3 talent, he wasnt picked top 3, he was picked 10th, and should be paid 10 pick money, if we give in, and give him more than DHB got than we are idiots.

No way he should get more than 18M guaranteed IMO. And 18m is a great bonus to get, and he hasnt done anything to prove to me he is worth even that kind of money, boy do i wish we had a rookie scale, ala the NBA.

But, you know he is not going to get the regular, 10th overall pick contract.

Brady Quinn's contract, and Josh Freeman's contract far surpasses those around them, and Crabtree will sign a contract that will surpass both Monroe and Raji. And, I think the total possible compensation, with all incentives met, will be higher than DHB's. The base salary won't.

thats fine, if we give him a boat load of incentives, but dont reward the guy more than what DHB got, right away. He should have to earn that money.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Pay him for being like the number 10 pick that he is. Nothing more nothing less.
Originally posted by rob28:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Originally posted by Genius1310:
We all know the story. We've all heard the details. What's your opinion? Do we pay Crabs? I say Hell No.
i agree he aint worth the money. we shouldve drafted orakpo. orakpo = a pass rush crabtree = b. jones
Oh please. Lets not go overboard here. Everyone and their momma knows Crabtree is 3 times the receiver Jones is.
he hasnt played a down yet so we dont know. rashaun woods was better than b.jones coming out of college. you saw how that worked out.

Did Rashaun Woods Ever have the college career Crabtree had???
i dont think so
bad comparison bro!!!!!
Crabtree is on a whole notha level

• Lifer
  • Veteran
The money's not the issue. We have the cap room. What's fair is not the issue. Fairness has nothing to do with NFL player salaries. The real problem is perception. Every sports agent in the business knows that the 49ers overpay. We overpaid for Clements, we overpaid for Justin Smith, and we overpaid for Alex smith... twice. I believe that Eugene Parker is driving a hard bargain, at least in part, because he believes he can push the 49ers around. He thinks they'll blink first. The best reason to hold the line with Crabtree is to change the perception that the 49ers are pushovers at the bargaining table. It's like a schoolyard bully: if you don't stand up to him, he'll just keep coming back. The 9ers need to draw a line in the sand here. Otherwise, they'll find themselves in the same position next year, and the year after that. They should make Crabtree a reasonable offer, even a generous one. But they should say "that's as high as we go and we won't go any higher. If you want to throw away a year of football, that's up to you." It's nothing personal and I've got nothing against Crabtree. But business is business.

[ Edited by Lifer on Aug 2, 2009 at 16:12:45 ]
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Originally posted by Genius1310:
We all know the story. We've all heard the details. What's your opinion? Do we pay Crabs? I say Hell No.
i agree he aint worth the money. we shouldve drafted orakpo. orakpo = a pass rush crabtree = b. jones
Oh please. Lets not go overboard here. Everyone and their momma knows Crabtree is 3 times the receiver Jones is.
he hasnt played a down yet so we dont know. rashaun woods was better than b.jones coming out of college. you saw how that worked out.

Did Rashaun Woods Ever have the college career Crabtree had???
i dont think so
bad comparison bro!!!!!
Crabtree is on a whole notha level

Actually Woods had a brilliant college career. You better go look up the numbers.
Originally posted by Envy:
Pay him for being like the number 10 pick that he is. Nothing more nothing less.
it doesn't matter if he's better than every player in this draft he was drafted 10th.
rjf was projected 3rd rounder and was drafted 7th he didn't hold out.

let him sit out----if you give in you kill the rest of the league,you'd be setting a bad pressident
Originally posted by HessianDud:

That would be $17.8 million in guarantees over 5 years.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erjoe:
it doesn't matter if he's better than every player in this draft he was drafted 10th.
rjf was projected 3rd rounder and was drafted 7th he didn't hold out.

let him sit out----if you give in you kill the rest of the league,you'd be setting a bad pressident

You'd be setting a Bush.
  • dugo
  • Veteran
I say let him sit. He wants big money ,,,let him first prove he's worth it at an NFL level.Besides whatever he ends up with it'll be far more then what he was making last year!!!!

I am surprised to see that BobS and SoCal9er are the only ones that made such comments about "teammates" and what consequences he could be causing. If a lot of you havent noticed yet, the 49ers are a very close group of teammates that have one goal. Apparently, MC doesnt see it that way. He is only going to screw his own future up. (Does anyone remember how messed up Jamarcus Russell' s career is? Remember he sat out most of the year because he demanded a certain contract?) I tend to believe that JR has suffered because hes all for himself.

Let Crabtree sit at home on Sundays and watch Morgan put up points for us. And he will watch. Then he may just grow up and realize this is screwing up our team: Just think if we do give him a crazy contract after GIVING IN, then what do you all think about next years first rounders? They'll hold out until we break. And AB83rules, help me out--isnt there a certain amount of maximum money allocated for the rookies anyway? Say we can only give Crabs about 1.2m this year anyway, then the huge amounts roll over, right? Compound that with two 1st rounders next year and we'll never have enough money to extend our main priorities, like Willis!

I loved the pick, but I dont like his personna at all. So let him rot until he starts believing in "team".

[ Edited by SFL49ER on Aug 2, 2009 at 16:08:02 ]
  • Chico
  • Veteran

Ditto! Prove yourself rookie!
Originally posted by HessianDud:
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by NinersSF:
It's hard to decide. I said make him sit, because we shouldn't overpay for a player who may or may not be worth the money. The WR position has a high bust rate. He hasn't done s**t in the NFL.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I am surprised to see that BobS and SoCal9er are the only ones that made such comments about "teammates" and what consequences he could be causing. If a lot of you havent noticed yet, the 49ers are a very close group of teammates that have one goal. Apparently, MC doesnt see it that way. He is only going to screw his own future up. (Does anyone remember how messed up Jamarcus Russell' s career is? Remember he sat out most of the year because he demanded a certain contract?) I tend to believe that JR has suffered because hes all for himself.

Let Crabtree sit at home on Sundays and watch Morgan put up points for us. And he will watch. Then he may just grow up and realize this is screwing up our team: Just think if we do give him a crazy contract after GIVING IN, then what do you all think about next years first rounders? They'll hold out until we break. And AB83rules, help me out--isnt there a certain amount of maximum money allocated for the rookies anyway? Say we can only give Crabs about 1.2m this year anyway, then the huge amounts roll over, right? Compound that with two 1st rounders next year and we'll never have enough money to extend our main priorities, like Willis!

I loved the pick, but I dont like his personna at all. So let him rot until he starts believing in "team".

yeah, we can spend no more than like 1.8m on crabtree in yr 1, due to the rookie pool being used up on our draftees and udfa's.

as for future, we have a projected 42m for next yr if theres a cap, and we will have enough money to extend Willis and possibly Gore if we decide to, plus we can afford 2 1st's next yr no problem.
Share 49ersWebzone