LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

NFL.com says 49ers are one of the most dangerous 2008 non-playoff teams in 2009

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by global_nomad:
In the words of one Mike Singletary, "Don't Tell Me, Show Me"

I doesn't matter what the hype is going into the season, what matters is how you preform.

The Dolphins and Falcons were ranked in the 2 last spots in the preseason Power Rankings before pre-season in 2008. As you all know both those teams made the playoffs.
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Vick is a playmaker, end of story. Regardless of what you feel about his off field conduct, you have to admit, he will make plays, first downs, and score touchdowns for whatever team that he lands on.

What you and many others need to understand is Michael Vick only made plays BECAUSE he had the option to throw (which he didn't do well). When he was scrambling around, defenses had to stay in coverage because if they left coverage to stop him he'd have a wide open target. So they remained in coverage, which led to Vick winding up on the highlight reel every week. That's exactly why the lame ass wildcat formation is effective. If you put Vick in at RB, WR, KR, PR or any position other than QB, he WILL NOT be effective with his feet. He needs the defense to worry about the receivers being left alone in order for him to do any damage on the ground. Basically, Vick would be useless outside of the wildcat. And if you think the wildcat formation will be around much longer, you're crazy. Defenses will find a way to defend it, offenses will abandon it and we'll never see it again.

By the way, when I said I want a QB, I meant I want a GOOD QB.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/put-up-your-dukes/

"San Francisco 49ers -– Quarterback remains the biggest weakness for this team. Shaun Hill is a good custodian of the offense, but the 49ers need a real playmaker at the position to help take some of the pressure off RB Frank Gore. Too bad Eddie DeBartolo isn’t still with the organization because he would have the guts to sign Michael Vick once he is reinstated. The defense will be good, and while the offense will not be spectacular, it should be consistent."

Along with us are the Raiders, Seahawks, and Bengals. oh well...

playoffs baby.

He got 2 outta the 4 teams rite, the Raiders and Bengals don't have a legit shot at the playoffs.

I dunno... I'm not an avid Raider hater like some 49er fans, and I feel they really do have factors that can take you on a run to the playoffs:

1) A weak division. The Chiefs and Broncos are s**t teams with bad defenses and not much better offenses. The Chargers are the Chargers, and I feel they will be the only legitimate threat to the Raiders within the division.
2) An incredible running game. Although their O-Line isn't fantastic, it blocks well enough to give Justin Fargas, Darren McFadden, and Michael Bush time to see holes and run through them. Watching their 3-headed beast of a rushing attack was actually interesting considering how effective it was. Also, toward the end of the season, JaMarcus Russell began to let the pressure slide off his shoulders through the ability of his rushing game. This opened up PA and dump-offs that gave him confidence. Also, the chemistry with Zach Miller increased as he became Russell's #1 target. The whole team improved over the last couple of games.
3) Their defense. While it may not be a top-10 defense, when you can sweep division rivals and put on a challenge for the best team in your division, you always have a chance. They have the speed in the secondary to catch anyone and make up for a mistake in coverage. Asomugha is great, and Chris Johnson showed marked improvement at the end of the year as well. Also, their linebackers in Howard and Morrison cover well and attack the QB.

I believe they will be able to make a run at the AFC West crown. However, the Al Davis curse still lays within the team so who knows?

Woah there is no way in hell they get past the Chargers
, SD could go to the Super Bowl, Oakland is in the 20's in terms of best teams, the other 2 in the division yeah sure they can get past sucky KC and Josh McMoron's team, but the Chargers come on now.

I'm not so sure. Their pass defense finished 31st last year, they lost C Jeremy Newberry, and there are still question marks about Merriman being the same player as he was before the ACL tear. They also lost Igor Olshansky, who although wasn't dominant -- he was solid for their team. They drafted Larry English, who many experts felt was a reach, and the depth at both LB and DL is pretty slim. I DO believe, tho, that barring injury, the Chargers will be a 10-6 to 11-5 team and win the division. LT is also injury prone and is questioned in his decline at running back. Chris Chambers has been relatively uneffective after coming over from the Dolphins.
Now, I don't dispute that they are the elite of that division at ALL, but I'm just making the case that if the Raiders can steal a home game against them and do well in inter-divisional games, there is a CHANCE that they can be a playoff team. The title of the post is "most dangerous" and I feel that they could be if they split the series with San Diego. It just all depends on if their running game can be consistent and effective and if J.Russell can manage the game. And they have a good QB in Jeff Garcia waiting in the helm if they don't. Last time I checked JG has played very solid in the past few years.

Cesaire is a solid guy to replace Igor, Phil found a way to get the passing yards and passing game going every game, and as of now the Chargers and LT own Oakland. LT went for 1000 yds last year and if he's healthy this year he'll be fine. English was taken cuz all he can do is get to the QB so him and the defense was that bad last year cuz they couldn't run their system, Lights Out being back along with English along with Cromartie being healthy will get the defense back to normal, and by the time Garcia if and when comes into the fold the Raiders will be like 2-7, they may be 2nd, but since it's the AFC West it won't matter.

I agree that if they are healthy they will do well, definately. But I feel like they are GREAT on paper and just okay on the field. If Rivers is as good as last year, tho, I feel they will run away with the division. But by week 8 the Raiders will have played 5 of their 6 divisional games and twice against San Diego. By then we will see if this prediction of them being one of the more dangerous teams in 2009/10 that didn't make the playoffs in 2008/9 is true or not. On week 1 we will see SD vs. OAK on ESPN also, so this is their chance to make a point within the division (it's at home, which is a plus for Oakland). Let the fun begin!

And do you remember the last time those 2 teams played Week 1 on MNF, 27 points in Oakland and a shut out, the Chargers are even better now then they were then , I wouldn't be surprised if that happened again.

I just don't agree that they are a better team. Maybe the same. But you have to factor in that the Raiders are better also. And Larry English hasn't played a snap, Jamaal Williams is like 33 years old and Merriman is coming off an injury. I just see the Raiders grinding it out against the Chargers. This is just for the sake of argument, I agree 100% that the Chargers are a better team, but I'm just looking at the other side of the argument for the "what if" part of the National Fake-out League. You just never know what can happen on Sundays/Mondays... s**t, and now Thursdays

And Saturdays, the team is better, just not the coaching staff, especially the offense, the running game is still great, the WRs are much better, the secondary is younger and quicker (watch for Cason, maybe to even jump over Jammer this year), J-Will can still play he's not as good, but he's still good, the Raiders are better yes, but they still have a front 7 is too small, but the D is improving and Ellis will help (still pissed off he signed wit em), ok maybe 24-6 San Diego.

just for fun I'll take a 24-20 Raiders shocker

Wow.

I don't hate the raiders, but you're giving them way too much credit. Just like you're giving Vick way too much credit.

I don't make use of the smilies nearly as much as others on this site, but in this case, the smilie I'm about to use is really how I feel when I read your take on the raiders and their chances:

[ Edited by 49erRider on Jul 26, 2009 at 20:26:21 ]
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Why on earth would a team with two first rounders next year want to hassle with trying to rehabilitate Michael Vick? Come on.

cuz we wanna win...
If the 49ers were to sign Vick, this season ticket holder would become a former season ticket holder. JUST SAY NO!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Jamie Dukes is one of the stupidest people sucking oxygen on the planet, so I wouldn't get too excited.

How does this guy have a job? Nobody else is better qualified, more intelligent, more insightful?

Haven't we already filled the quota for loud-mouthed, brash-talking, brain-damaged former NFL players for the next millenia?

If these networks want to raise the bar, they need to find more Robert Smiths (the smartest guy to put on a helmet), and dump the morons/meatheads (E. Smith, Dukes, etc.). Anybody who thinks Michael Vick is ready to play QB in the NFL surely has taken way too many blows to the head.

P.S. Somehow, I can't get that ringing vibration out of my head, when Dukes said that "Michael Vick made...a mistake". Dear Mr. Dukes, a mistake is when you hit a tennis ball over the fence, and it strikes a nun, or Mormon riding a bike; or, when you've had far too much to drink and decide to hit on the hottest babe in the bar...who also has a 6'6", 275 boyfriend. Systematically raising dogs to maul each other for sport, including some of your own pets, stringing up "less performing dogs" and shooting them while laughing, lying to the Commisioner, lying to the American people, lying your team owner about your non-involvement.....WHICH ONE WAS THE "MISTAKE".

Genius, Mr. Dupes.

Mad Dog, I love your PS....Last week I turned on Nfl Network, and Rich Eison (does that guy ever sleep) had a show with Michael Irvin and Deon Sanders. The only thing I took away from the 5 minutes before I changed the channel was that both Irrvin and Sanders loved themselves, and it was a shame they could marry themselves.

I know the network only started several years ago but it is pretty sickening to watch some of the crap. Charles Robinson (not sure if that is his last name) seemed to loved every draft pick during the combines and after the draft, but then changed his mind when questioned.

I like Woodson, Marshall Falk and a few other ex-jocks, but some of these guys are just plain dumb or too egotistical to watch.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Jamie Dukes is one of the stupidest people sucking oxygen on the planet, so I wouldn't get too excited.

How does this guy have a job? Nobody else is better qualified, more intelligent, more insightful?

Haven't we already filled the quota for loud-mouthed, brash-talking, brain-damaged former NFL players for the next millenia?

If these networks want to raise the bar, they need to find more Robert Smiths (the smartest guy to put on a helmet), and dump the morons/meatheads (E. Smith, Dukes, etc.). Anybody who thinks Michael Vick is ready to play QB in the NFL surely has taken way too many blows to the head.

P.S. Somehow, I can't get that ringing vibration out of my head, when Dukes said that "Michael Vick made...a mistake". Dear Mr. Dukes, a mistake is when you hit a tennis ball over the fence, and it strikes a nun, or Mormon riding a bike; or, when you've had far too much to drink and decide to hit on the hottest babe in the bar...who also has a 6'6", 275 boyfriend. Systematically raising dogs to maul each other for sport, including some of your own pets, stringing up "less performing dogs" and shooting them while laughing, lying to the Commisioner, lying to the American people, lying your team owner about your non-involvement.....WHICH ONE WAS THE "MISTAKE".

Genius, Mr. Dupes.

Mad Dog, I love your PS....Last week I turned on Nfl Network, and Rich Eison (does that guy ever sleep) had a show with Michael Irvin and Deon Sanders. The only thing I took away from the 5 minutes before I changed the channel was that both Irrvin and Sanders loved themselves, and it was a shame they could marry themselves.

I know the network only started several years ago but it is pretty sickening to watch some of the crap. Charles Robinson (not sure if that is his last name) seemed to loved every draft pick during the combines and after the draft, but then changed his mind when questioned.

I like Woodson, Marshall Falk and a few other ex-jocks, but some of these guys are just plain dumb or too egotistical to watch.

Woodson and Faulk are the only ones worth listening to on the NFL Network.
Originally posted by 9er_84:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Why on earth would a team with two first rounders next year want to hassle with trying to rehabilitate Michael Vick? Come on.

cuz we wanna win...

And Vick is going to bring all that playoff win & Superbowl experience here...oh, wait...I had him mixed up with a good quarterback I was thinking about.

The dude has a lot of baggage, and is not such a good quarterback. Interesting how Atlanta did better with a rookie QB.

[ Edited by djfullshred on Jul 27, 2009 at 16:40:10 ]
Originally posted by rapid4:
If the 49ers were to sign Vick, this season ticket holder would become a former season ticket holder. JUST SAY NO!

Can I buy yours at a discount then?
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Hopefully he's better than his pops. His dad was a penny pinching douche.

It's all about penny pinching! lol

I don't mind penny pinching at the grocery store or at the shopping center, but from what I recall, Debartolo didn't mind spending money signing key players that led us to the promise land.

Eddie was his UNCLE, not his dad lol

Share 49ersWebzone