There are 256 users in the forums

Offensive innovation?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know were trying tn simplify things under sing and be a power running team but if that doesnt work then maybe we need to try something new next year? im not talking the wco or anything like that but something that hasnt been done before in the nfl. we were known for offensive innovation or whatever in the 80s bc the wco was something new. maybe we need to find the next big offensn again?
we could run the louisiana bobcat
How about all pass and no run and go for every fourth down? I hope our offense does okay this year
The dink an dunk
Sing never said we are going to be a run heavy team. He said he want's to be able to run at will. Raye's offense will look very similar to Norv's which is a good thing cause most of our O wont be learning a new system. Everyone worries about Raye's age. Tom Moore was old as is Dick LeBeau and thier doing just fine. Raye's OC abilities aren't in question IMO. I actually can't wait to see our O in our first preseason game.
Originally posted by tohara3:
How about all pass and no run and go for every fourth down? I hope our offense does okay this year

that isnt even close to what im meaning dude. im just saying that if this offense flops maybe we need to try something new, thats all.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

that isnt even close to what im meaning dude. im just saying that if this offense flops maybe we need to try something new, thats all.

For the love of god can we please try running the same offense two years in a row?

We've had six straight years of change already.
Thats true but thats also why its nice to have a hc with an offensive background. dont get me wrong i like sing and raye and i hope we do well and win or atleast score points im just saying IF it doesnt happen maybe we need to stop trying to make old schemes work and find the next big thing.
I believe in Gore + anything to be a dominant part of our Offense this year. He has had no help and has done OK. Imagine what he'll do with Norris/Coffee/Sheets/Robinson etc.??
You're right, if you look back in history when new schemes were first introduced, they've been successful at first but then defenses slowly adapted. Here's a list:

1. Coryell
2. WCO
3. Martz

And the newest trend is the Wildcat.

The same argument goes with innovative defensive schemes was well: 46, Tampa 2 etc. Offenses have learned to exploit the weak points there as well.

Point being imo, innovation is short lived in football. You need to be continually changing. But then this is not practical because you can't expect to keep studying new schemes from season to season. It becomes a detriment.

-9fA

Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
I believe in Gore + anything to be a dominant part of our Offense this year. He has had no help and has done OK. Imagine what he'll do with Norris/Coffee/Sheets/Robinson etc.??

oh i think hell be good and an important part of our offense no matter what system we run.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

oh i think hell be good and an important part of our offense no matter what system we run.

i just hope our pass offense is effective. so much talent at WR corp

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
You're right, if you look back in history when new schemes were first introduced, they've been successful at first but then defenses slowly adapted. Here's a list: 1. Coryell 2. WCO 3. Martz And the newest trend is the Wildcat. The same argument goes with innovative defensive schemes was well: 46, Tampa 2 etc. Offenses have learned to exploit the weak points there as well. Point being imo, innovation is short lived in football. You need to be continually changing. But then this is not practical because you can't expect to keep studying new schemes from season to season. It becomes a detriment. -9fA

yeah, thats my point that the game evolves. even bill walsh was upset when he visited a 9ers practice when mooch was the coach because he hadnt changed anything. its not practical obviously to change something every single thing but itd be nice to come out with an offense people havent adapted to yet and really knock their socks off and score a lot of points again. we got the talemt at wr, rb, and our ol has even improved a lot. idk what innovative scheme we can use though. maybe if our conventional o doesnt work this year well go more toward some spread o type of stuff. i dunno.

sounds like my madden offense lol. Gore is a receiver out of the backfield and he gets a touch here and there lol
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
You're right, if you look back in history when new schemes were first introduced, they've been successful at first but then defenses slowly adapted. Here's a list: 1. Coryell 2. WCO 3. Martz And the newest trend is the Wildcat. The same argument goes with innovative defensive schemes was well: 46, Tampa 2 etc. Offenses have learned to exploit the weak points there as well. Point being imo, innovation is short lived in football. You need to be continually changing. But then this is not practical because you can't expect to keep studying new schemes from season to season. It becomes a detriment. -9fA

yeah, thats my point that the game evolves. even bill walsh was upset when he visited a 9ers practice when mooch was the coach because he hadnt changed anything. its not practical obviously to change something every single thing but itd be nice to come out with an offense people havent adapted to yet and really knock their socks off and score a lot of points again. we got the talemt at wr, rb, and our ol has even improved a lot. idk what innovative scheme we can use though. maybe if our conventional o doesnt work this year well go more toward some spread o type of stuff. i dunno.

yeah and you're right. It's not necessary to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch each time, however it is a good idea to add in wrinkles here and there.

The hard part is actually coming up with the ideas. Even so, there's a chance of failure just as there is a chance of success.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone