LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 223 users in the forums

49ers caused Mora's "Playoffs?!?" rant

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Something I learned tonight, which many 49er fans probably already know about.

The San Francisco 49ers were the team that whooped Jim Mora's Colts 40-21 in 2001... and were directly responsible for the coach's post-game "Playoffs?!?!" rant.

49ERS 40, COLTS 21

T.O. had 100 yards, Hearst had 100 yards, and Garcia threw for 179. Peyton Manning threw 4 INT'S.

Only current Niner still on the team back then? Jeff Ulbrich.

I am 8 years late to this party, but I didn't know until tonight that SF was the team responsible for the ass kicking. Figured I'd share for the others who may have missed it.
If i remember right we are also responsible for his blow up with the saints as well
yup sure did but I believe alot of people (including Niner fans) dont know.
It would be nice if we could cause a couple more rants like that this year. It's been too long since we have really embarrased a "good" team. We got spoiled by doing it on a fairly regular basis in the 80's and 90's.
If I'm not mistaken, haven't they beaten our asses every time since?
Yeah, were you watching "Top Ten Meltdowns" on NFL Network? I had forgotten about this.

What I don't get is, how can the Oilers losing to the Bills after being so far ahead not be in the top ten melt downs?

Unless they're coming up with Top Ten Chokes.

Anyway, the Niners were responsible for a lot of teams demises in the glory years.
Originally posted by King49er:

We have only played them one time since and they beat us in 2005 with Alex Smith playing his first game I believe (the following week he would make his first start against Washington). Anyways Colts dominated the game like 28-3.

Yeah, I think we only played them once since then; in 2005, and if I remember correctly, they beat the hell out of Alex Smith that day in his first start. It was ugly.
Originally posted by nazniner:

Yeah, I think we only played them once since then; in 2005, and if I remember correctly, they beat the hell out of Alex Smith that day in his first start. It was ugly.

He got beat up bad that game, he left hurt, I remember that game
  • SS2K8
  • Veteran
well when your team throws 7000 interceptions at home it'll make ya do that. What an awesome game and day that was =)

Originally posted by SS2K8:
well when your team throws 7000 interceptions at home it'll make ya do that. What an awesome game and day that was =)

7000? I thought it was on 4 that day
  • SS2K8
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SS2K8:

7000? I thought it was on 4 that day

Well it sure seemed like a million to my deliriously excited azz at the time
Jimmy Mora jr. was the Niners DC back then, I wouldn't have wanted to be at christmas dinner with the Mora family that year!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Jimmy Mora jr. was the Niners DC back then, I wouldn't have wanted to be at christmas dinner with the Mora family that year!

bet it didn't change a thing...
Originally posted by highwayone:
Yeah, were you watching "Top Ten Meltdowns" on NFL Network? I had forgotten about this.

Yes, yes I was.
Share 49ersWebzone