There are 171 users in the forums

Isaac Bruce in Raye's offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So Bruce is not the open talkative 'big brother' type WR that we all thought he would be but regardless, he still flourished under Martz and made a valuable on field contribution last year.

The question is, in Raye's offense, will he be able to reproduce similar results? He's not really known for his blocking skills nor does he have that burner speed. But what he does have is knowledge and experience. Will it be enough to keep away someone else from taking the starting role over him?

-9fA
He will play well but will not have a huge role in the offense. im thinking 5-8 TD's
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
So Bruce is not the open talkative 'big brother' type WR that we all thought he would be but regardless, he still flourished under Martz and made a valuable on field contribution last year.

The question is, in Raye's offense, will he be able to reproduce similar results? He's not really known for his blocking skills nor does he have that burner speed. But what he does have is knowledge and experience. Will it be enough to keep away someone else from taking the starting role over him?

-9fA

Issac bruce is a sure handed and well round vet. I don't believe he will have any troubles in this system. Martz's system is way more complex then reyes. So I don't believe there should be much of a problem. In martz's o the routes are predetermined by the d front and what the d is showing. In this system the offense is more basic in that aspect. So bruce will have no problems I don't believe. I think he will do much better then last yr to be honest. We will be more balanced in the fact gore will be running more. And we won't be so one dimensional. Lol who knows I could be wrong lol
While I have tremendous respect for Isaac Bruce and his accomplishments to date, I think he is going to have to work to earn a starting role this season.

There are simply too many talented, young, hungry receivers on the team this year and I have the impression Singletary is going to let the whole group compete and the best 2 or 3 are going to start.

No-one, not even potential Hall-of-Famer Isaac Bruce, is guaranteed a starting spot at this point. If he earns it in training camp and pre-season games, great...my hat's off to him.

But if Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Battle, Ziegler and Jones outplay him, then it'll be time for Isaac to reconsider his future, because Singletary and McCloughan will let him go.
Bruce was our number 1 last season. So until he gets beaten out by Morgan, Crabs or the other guys, OR REALLY has a drop in production, he will continue to play a big role to our offense.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

As far as your last question; Let's hope not. I'm glad Bruce is on the roster, but I hope more than one of the youngsters show enough to substantially cut into his playing time. That would be a great sign for 2010 and beyond.
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Bruce was our number 1 last season. So until he gets beaten out by Morgan, Crabs or the other guys, OR REALLY has a drop in production, he will continue to play a big role to our offense.

yup he has to be beaten out hes our number 1 not prove himself against 1st 2nd and some vets he beat out last year.
I think the future HoFer will have no problems knowing what to do, and getting his numbers.
As it stands right now, he is the best pure route runner on the team. He knows how to get open. Until someone unseats him, he's the bonafide #1.

I saw him a few times last year make less experienced DB's look like crap. He is one of those guys that the minute you underestimate him, he's got you.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
As it stands right now, he is the best pure route runner on the team. He knows how to get open. Until someone unseats him, he's the bonafide #1.

I saw him a few times last year make less experienced DB's look like crap. He is one of those guys that the minute you underestimate him, he's got you.

I agree, he still has the best hands, experience, route running, and understanding of where to sit and how to get open. Bruce is a QBs best friends, I'll tell you I rather have someone that can get open and move the chains than someone who is a bruner or can make plays but has an inconsitent game. Thats what makes Bruce our number 1. PLUS hes a perfect compliment to Vernon Davis, Josh Morgan, Jason Hill, Michael Crabtree, and the gang
[ Edited by 49ersnum1 on Jul 19, 2009 at 2:07 AM ]

Originally posted by Yetiman:
While I have tremendous respect for Isaac Bruce and his accomplishments to date, I think he is going to have to work to earn a starting role this season.

There are simply too many talented, young, hungry receivers on the team this year and I have the impression Singletary is going to let the whole group compete and the best 2 or 3 are going to start.

No-one, not even potential Hall-of-Famer Isaac Bruce, is guaranteed a starting spot at this point. If he earns it in training camp and pre-season games, great...my hat's off to him.

But if Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Battle, Ziegler and Jones outplay him, then it'll be time for Isaac to reconsider his future, because Singletary and McCloughan will let him go.

Bruce will have no problem with Raye's offense. However, whether Bruce is worthy of a starting spot or not, it's in the team's best long-term interest to get the younger guys on the field as much as possible. That alone will knock his stats down some. That being said, having a veteran on the field is still a luxury for a QB, so don't expect him to be riding the bench for many long stretches.
I would expect his performance (stats) to be significantly lower than last year. Last year he led the team due to:

1. His intimate knowledge of Martz' offense. No other WR came close to him in this regard.

2. All the other WRs were either rookies, or vets injured for parts of the season.

I would expect his numbers to look something like:

45 catches
500 yds
5 tds

I also believe there is an outside chance that he isn't with the team at all, that he is either retires, is cut or is traded.
Until the younger WR's step up and perform consistently, I would think Bruce has to be considered our number one receiver. I am excited about the potential of Morgan, Crabtree, and the other guys, but Bruce, even in his advanced years, is still the frontrunner in this group, IMO.
Originally posted by nazniner:
Until the younger WR's step up and perform consistently, I would think Bruce has to be considered our number one receiver. I am excited about the potential of Morgan, Crabtree, and the other guys, but Bruce, even in his advanced years, is still the frontrunner in this group, IMO.

I'd agree he's probably easily the best receiver on our roster, but the fact is he'll very likely be gone after this year. Unless you think the Niners are built to win it all this year, it makes more sense to give the young guys as much valuable game experience as possible. I'm not saying Bruce should be riding the bench, but I don't think he should get typical #1 receiver minutes either.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I would expect his performance (stats) to be significantly lower than last year. Last year he led the team due to:

1. His intimate knowledge of Martz' offense. No other WR came close to him in this regard.

2. All the other WRs were either rookies, or vets injured for parts of the season.

I would expect his numbers to look something like:

45 catches
500 yds
5 tds

I also believe there is an outside chance that he isn't with the team at all, that he is either retires, is cut or is traded.

I agree with this as well and this the point that I was trying to make in the op. I really do believe the he greatly benefited from his past experience with the offense. I can see him playing a significantly smaller role this year.

However, i don't think that he'll be let go midseason -- his contract expires at the end of the season at which point, i doubt that we'll re-sign him.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone