Marvel Smith will make O-line much better than last year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by krizay:
So the 110 sacks we gave up the last 2 years is all on Jennings, Snyder and Martz?

The OL's chance of improvement is not all at RT.

Start with Staley who improved in the 2nd half with the firing of Nolan and Warhop. Staley said he went back to blocking techniques (more aggressive) he used in college. Nolan/Warhop wanted him to play more passively. This will also be only his 2nd year at LT.

Rachal will improve the RG position. He took over RG only at mid-year, again with the Nolan subtraction-being-addition firing. A full TC at RG (he practiced some last year at RT) should only improve his work.

Baas, a full year of work at RG behind him, and Heitmann, a second year from injury, should be at least as good as last year and likely improve.

Cohesion so important to the OL unit should benefit from the half-year Staley-Baas-Heitmann-Rachal spent together. The five-man unit (with Smith) having TC together is another thing the OL didn't have last year.

I counted 1 chance and 3 shoulds.

If these guys are as good as many of posters are claiming. They either A: wouldn't have been a part of a line that gave up the most sacks in team history. Or B: Wouldn't have been sitting behind guys that helped give up the most sacks in team history.

I suppose that there is a chance it can become a great offensive line. But it won't be because we signed Marvel Smith. Our problems up front stemmed alot further than RT. I find it hard to believe that all 4 guys will improve to the extent of us having a "Top 10 offensive line" That with adding a new guy. Who very well may not play/practice a whole heck of alot during TC because of his injury history. Which would just throw one of your "should"'s right out the window.

It's hard for this board to expect/predict better or good play. They have to expect/predict Top 10ish numbers and pro bowl type stuff. We seriously have like 25 guys who are suppose to breakout this season.

I haven't said the OL will be top ten. But they "should" improve over last year, with a "chance" to be significantly better. Even being an average-performing OL will be significant. My point is that each position "should" improve, not just RT. Just recreating last year's 2nd half results will be an improvement, and that was without M. Smith.

No you didn't say it. But you responded to me responding to someone else who did.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FriscoKid220:
Originally posted by Apples:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
I think the addition of Marvel Smith to the O line will help make us more of a solid unit than last year. Adam Snyder IMO is a good back up, but he gets beat a lot of the time on the right side and that's not even where the pass rushers line up. Marvel Smith played left tackle if I'm not mistaken and was a pro bowler. I know he's kind of up there in age, but still has all the skills to be a dominant right tackle. The pass protection should be greatly improved as well as run blocking. I am telling you right now that our O line will be one of the best in the league.

Staley-Bass-Heitmann-Rachal-Smith=Top 10 offensive line

serious question

did you know anything about or had you even heard of Marvel Smith before this off season

be honest

Serious question

Have you heard of Adam Snyder or Barry Sims??

Be honest

I rest my case.

I don't get it...what's your case?

Adam Snyder and Barry Sims are weak. That's my case. Marvel Smith is a drastic upgrade from those losers. I used to like Snyder until i kept seeing him get beat and fall all over the place trying to block. But at least he's not Kwame.

I'm on the same ship with you. I still like Snyder as a back up cause he can play all the o-line positions save center. But that's just it, he is ok at every thing and not great at one thing. Very Mike Nolan type of player, those tweeners. I remember reading a post that called Snyder " The jack of all trades but the ace of nothing". I think that's very true.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
I think the addition of Marvel Smith to the O line will help make us more of a solid unit than last year. Adam Snyder IMO is a good back up, but he gets beat a lot of the time on the right side and that's not even where the pass rushers line up. Marvel Smith played left tackle if I'm not mistaken and was a pro bowler. I know he's kind of up there in age, but still has all the skills to be a dominant right tackle. The pass protection should be greatly improved as well as run blocking. I am telling you right now that our O line will be one of the best in the league.

Staley-Bass-Heitmann-Rachal-Smith=Top 10 offensive line

serious question

did you know anything about or had you even heard of Marvel Smith before this off season

be honest

Serious question

Have you heard of Adam Snyder or Barry Sims??

Be honest

I rest my case.

thanks for the answer
I think Marvel will be fine as long as he's healthy. That's a big IF. Snyder is a good backup and that might be about it. He's been given several chances to win starting tackle and guard positions and failed to really impress.
Mark my words and quote me on here... we'll have a top 10 OL and a top 10 DL. and a pro bowl QB!!!
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by swim4speed:
I think Marvel will be fine as long as he's healthy. That's a big IF. Snyder is a good backup and that might be about it. He's been given several chances to win starting tackle and guard positions and failed to really impress.

How do you know Marvel Smith staying healthy is a "big IF"?
Share 49ersWebzone