LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Ground Sing

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I encourage everyone to go to NFL.com and look under the KC Chiefs statistics section. Check out their stats from 1998-2000 (Jimmy Raye's OC years). You will be surprised at what this man did without a #1 RB, without a true #1 WR and only Tony Gonzalez as his main weapon on offense.

I am really stoked about what he may be able to do with this young offense.

BTW...I know this isnt relevant to the topic...but if anyone gets a chance...go to youtube and look up Alex Boone's highlights. This kid was an absolute roadgrater at OT in college. Maybe not the greatest pass protector in the world but that can be corrected. I really think he will have a roster spot this season.
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
And as I have been saying for months... Those that actually listen to Sing and Raye speak,know that the offense will be balanced and not a run ,run,run offense.

Here is Brandon Jones speaking about the 2009 Niner's (Jimmy Raye and Sing ) offense. (after he has seen the playbook and gone through the installation of the Raye offense and all the mini-camps and OTA's etc.).

“You’re going to be given the chance to go out there and make plays. A lot of balls are going to be in the air,” Jones said of his role in the 49ers offense. “It’s not just a pound, pound, pound team. You’re going to get an opportunity every day because we’re going to throw the ball around a lot.”

That's how I read what the team has been saying. It remains to be seen what actually happens. I think the ball's gonna get sprayed around, whoever is the QB (oops, I may have stepped in something . . . ).
As with most strong-running teams the pass to run ratio will be roughly 50/50. What the coach wants to do is be able to run even when the other team knows you're going to run. He wants to always be able to get the short yardage. Think mid 80's Redskins or early to middle 90's Cowboys. How many times was I squirming in my seat as those teams went to third and one over and over, always punching out the last one yard.
First play of the season will be pass
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
As with most strong-running teams the pass to run ratio will be roughly 50/50. What the coach wants to do is be able to run even when the other team knows you're going to run. He wants to always be able to get the short yardage. Think mid 80's Redskins or early to middle 90's Cowboys. How many times was I squirming in my seat as those teams went to third and one over and over, always punching out the last one yard.

This is what wakes me in the middle of the night from sweaty night terrors and cursing Franklin's name. Sure, Willis and TKO do a good job of keeping some RBs to 3-4 yards on 1st and 2nd downs... but having a 3rd and short conversion makes me .
it's obvious that running the ball effectively will only open up the passing game. Clock control baby...pound the ball to tire out the defense, then boom - play action pass.
Even run oriented teams like the Panthers and Titans only ran the ball around 53% of the time. Out of 938 plays the Panthers ran the ball 504 times (53.7%). Even so, Delhomme passed for 3200 yards, Steve Smith had over 1400 yards receiving and M. Muhammad had 923 yards receiving. I'm thinking that if we end the season with a 1400 yard receiver and another guy 75 yards short of 1000 most of would be pretty happy with those numbers. Run heavy doesn't always mean that teams are ineffective passing.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by Jesse:
Originally posted by 49er4eva:
People are taking this ball control thing out of context. Sing is going to go with what works. He knows you cant run all the time, there will be a nice mix. Running the ball consistently will open up the pass. Jimmy Raye admitted that you cant run the ball all the time.

Absolutely right. It will be a balanced attack. Fret not, our receivers will have their opportunities. Let's hope they, and the QB (Hill?) will make the most ot them.

Yes! You have to use your WRs, thats is how to open it up for the RBs and viceversa.
This will be the funest team we have had to watch in years.
Write this down:

55% Pass
45% Run

Guaranteed.

He just wants to use the run to control the game and use the clock when needed, not run the ball every down and lose every game. Come on now, use some intellect and not be so far sighted.
The only time they'll stick to the run is if the other team can't stop the run. These coaches aren't crazy.

Originally posted by Bleed49ersRED:
Write this down:

55% Pass
45% Run
Guaranteed.

He just wants to use the run to control the game and use the clock when needed, not run the ball every down and lose every game. Come on now, use some intellect and not be so far sighted.

Wouldn't intellectual thinking tells us that the run to pass % values are going to vary with our lead going into the 4th quarter. If we're up by 2 td's we will not pass as much as if we're down by 2 TDs. So there's absolutely no possible way to guarantee a run to pass ratio before the season starts.
[ Edited by D_Niner on Jul 17, 2009 at 3:12 PM ]
  • Adman
  • Veteran
How many times must we talk about the same things over and over again?!

Originally posted by Adman:

37 times
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Adman:

37 times

Why not 50% of the time!?
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninergold:
We've all heard that Sing is intending to play ball control and utilize Gore and Coffee behind a bigger, mashing OL. So where does that leave the development of Morgan and Crabtree? And VD?

Admittedly, for the past few years, the Niners have not really had a weapon besides Gore. Now, they really have some young talent and can have some defenses back on their heels.

Will they play ball control and grind it out and will they open it up a bit and stretch it downfield?

all sing said was i want to be able to run the ball at any time. he never said well run the ball everytime.
Share 49ersWebzone