LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 296 users in the forums

Ray Ratto hates the 49ers!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by haggard:
Ratto hasn't had many good things to say about this team, its owners, and most of its players but really should he have? Season after season of loosing forces that on the local media.

He's right, Santa Clara should cover their asses. Pro Sport teams have a long history of sticking it to City Municipalities. As fans we all want a new stadium, either in San Francisco or Santa Clara, but the City can't negotiate this deal from a fan's perspective.

If Ratto was just a gasbag since we've started losing it'd be one thing, but I remember when Young was still here, seeing his articles and have them be nothing but negative.
Ratto never met a Bay Area team (pick any sport) he didn't dislike...he comes across as the eternal pessimist...I've learned to simply ignore him. So, my advice to everyone is to do the same...don't read his negative garbage. Yes, once in awhile, he makes some valid points...but when your total "game" is negativity, then you lose your credibility at some point. He lost his with me a long time ago.
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
I am sick and tired of seeing webzone post articles written by 49er-hater Ratto. I lived in the Bay area for seven years and I have NEVER read a Ratto article about the 49ers that was positive.

His latest piece of offal may be found here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/07/SPO31828OI.DTL

Why does this site give such a crappy writer - not a journalist but rather a sour commentator - publicity and promotion by posting his worthless anti-49er commentaries?

In his latest piece of trash he ridicules Santa Clara residents in a feeble attempt to get them to oppose building a new stadium for the 49ers in their city. He seems to live to do whatever he can to hurt the 49ers.

I sincerely hope that Santa Clarans will see through this obvious attempt to manipulate them by a man whose credibility is in question. I hope they will vote up or down based on the merits of building the stadium, regardless of what unqualified "sportswriters" may suggest.

Am I alone or do others share my view of this excuse for a sportswriter?

i used like some of ratto's writing, but now he has become, as well as tim Kawakami, just like Skip Bayless. Throwing out inflammatory drivel in order to get people to to respond. His writing skills have lessened at the same rate as the youth of today who solely rely on twitter, facebook, and myspace for their information. how the relatively intelligent and well written have fallen. He is now, nothing more than your common blogger.
I am sick and tired of seeing webzone post articles written by 49er-hater Ratto. I lived in the Bay area for seven years and I have NEVER read a Ratto article about the 49ers that was positive.

His latest piece of offal may be found here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/07/SPO31828OI.DTL

Why does this site give such a crappy writer - not a journalist but rather a sour commentator - publicity and promotion by posting his worthless anti-49er commentaries?

In his latest piece of trash he ridicules Santa Clara residents in a feeble attempt to get them to oppose building a new stadium for the 49ers in their city. He seems to live to do whatever he can to hurt the 49ers.

I sincerely hope that Santa Clarans will see through this obvious attempt to manipulate them by a man whose credibility is in question. I hope they will vote up or down based on the merits of building the stadium, regardless of what unqualified "sportswriters" may suggest.

You mean that you are just now figuring that out?

It is getting published because people are reading and talking about it.

If you don't like something; don't listen, read, watch or talk about it. Advertisers wont pay for something that doesn't draw people and buzz. And if no one is paying guess what happens to the article (TV Show, Radio Show, Magazine, etc.).
So, all the Bay Area writers suck because they are negative about the 49ers (and every other local team)?

How can they feel this way when clearly the team has been doing well, the owner has been credited with one great move after another and the coaches are all considered geniuses in their field?

Then there the stadium issues. Sure, they have been going on for years. Those negative writers seem to forget that the owner has even gone so far as to hire great illustrators to draw up designs for a beautiful stadiums to be built in whatever city will subsidize it with taxpayer dollars.

We need positive reporting, smash-mouthing negativity right outa there.

I propose to write a column every week. It will be so positive that there will be no need to add sugar to your morning coffee. You will be bursting with so much positive energy that there will be no need to hire a feng shuei expert to rearrange your spaces.

As for payment, I prefer electronic deposits. Thank you.
Originally posted by carlgo:
So, all the Bay Area writers suck because they are negative about the 49ers (and every other local team)?

How can they feel this way when clearly the team has been doing well, the owner has been credited with one great move after another and the coaches are all considered geniuses in their field?

Then there the stadium issues. Sure, they have been going on for years. Those negative writers seem to forget that the owner has even gone so far as to hire great illustrators to draw up designs for a beautiful stadiums to be built in whatever city will subsidize it with taxpayer dollars.

I propose to write a column every week. It will be so positive that there will be no need to add sugar to your morning coffee. You will be bursting with so much positive energy that there will be no need to hire a feng shuei expert to rearrange your spaces.

Read my post. It's one thing if the negative articles correlated with the losing, but Ratto has been spewing negative crap since Young was your QB
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Originally posted by carlgo:

Read my post. It's one thing if the negative articles correlated with the losing, but Ratto has been spewing negative crap since Young was your QB

Yeah, but his name precludes being positive. "Ratto". It just doesn't translate to sweetness and light. The only people who should be upset are the owners and politicians, coaches and selected players. Fans shouldn't take it personally.
Ray is a fat tool!
He would write a $hitt& article about his mother.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Ratto is just being realistic, what the hell have the Niners done in the last seven years other than suck ass!!

Let the ass sucking end and the ass kicking begian!!!!!

So get of the Rats back and take of the rose tinted glasses, we have not been picking in the top third of the drat every year because we are so freaking great!

There isn't a single player on this offense that could have started for Walsh in the eighties and Willis and Smith are the only defenders worthy of that era!

Really?

Don't you think that you are overstating this somewhat?

Gore couldn't start for Walsh? Gore is great but I don't think he is a Walsh Guy, not a Ricky Watters, Rodger Craig receiver in the backfield, but still a great back Bill might not drat a Gore but you are right he could find work for him!

I think that Walsh would have given his eyeteeth to have a talented player like Davis to mold into a solid TE. Here I gotta disagree, Bill would not put up with the drops PERIOD
You don't think that he could do something with Hill and Morgan? Hill and Morgan aren't yet locks to start, so I wasn't rally thinking about them, Crabtree is more in the Walsh "big body graet hands" mold Pure Speed was not a big thing to Bill just look a D. Clark!

I know what he would have done with a "so so player" like Battle. It would have opened up another scoring avenue for him that's for sure. That WR screen that Bill loved so much could have gone vertical, oh but wait it did when he had Rice, huh?
Battle acutally has the best chance at being a 'Walsh" guy becuase of his handsm sure I'll give you that.

Not saying that Battle is anywhere near GOATs' league. But if I can count 5 guys that Walsh would have loved to coach(knowing what I do about the man) you can best be sure to double that. Hey Bill worked with what he had when he got here, but do you think he would have drafted ANY player on this offense? I think you are right that Walsh could have worked with and would have played these guys, I just don't see him drafting a Smith or VD

I find it hysterical that people hate our team so much at this time that they overstate things more than they deserve to be. At least I know that you were never paid to be coach Walsh's mouthpiece. Why the personal attack?, kinda cheap no pointer there, sorry lacks a little class

~Ceadder

Maybe I was kinda hasty, but I still feel that Bill Walsh would not have picked any of these guys, other than Crabtree. Think about those teams, everybody had great hands, the phrase "so many weapons" was created to describe the Niners! There is a lot of talent on this team and I expect good things, I just expect different good things! Moran Norris will never make me forget Rathman! VD will never out shine Brent Jones, sorry he won't he will do well we will flat back a few linebackers, and yes he will make some catches, but he doesn't have the hands to play Bill Walsh football.

As for deffending the Rat all I can say is he is a fan, and like some of us fans we want to win we expect hreat moves and great choices and great coaching at all times, realistic not really but thats okay we are fans!

Just because we expect more doesn't make us "haters", just like apologizing and always looking on the bright side doesn't make you a "lightweight" fan, it just makes you a 49er fan and my brother!

Bro -

I tend to agree with you more than disagree. But I still think that Walsh would have been licking his chops over some of the guys that we have. See what people tend to forget was that Walsh was a Teacher first and foremost. He would be as patient as he needed to be, but if he thought you weren't giving it your all you'd walk up to your locker the next day and be confronted with a cardboard box filled with your stuff at the foot of your locker. Sometimes he would just drop it in front of you and you wouldn't even have access to the lockerroom.

You can say what you want about Davis, Gore and a few other players but I think that Walsh could have worked with them and would have without hesitation.

Now our OLine? You can't pass block? You better learn in a hurry or your days were numbered. run block? You were gone.

But I digress, coach Walsh was before the Salary Cap era and in those days you could cut a guy without much fanfare in the media. We were(us older fans) not incensed over the loss of dead weight. If the guy couldn't cut it Walsh would get rid of them and the team would be better for it because the next guy in line knew that he was walking a tightrope. You can't do that now, unless the guy does something that Goodell deems inappropriate no matter how reasonable that may be. Making Depth Chart management that much more important. Which is one of the reasons Nolan no longer coaches this team. can you imagine if Nolan had the ability to manage the roster like Walsh or even as far back as his own father? I think fans would have been much more tolerant.

In any case, at least you saw what I was gettin at unlike some folks here with their infantile name calling.

~Cduuur... er I mean Ceadder

Ray Ratto is no fool and he does NOT hate the 49ers. He comes from the Lowell Cohen school of sports commentary where you whip up a bunch of frenzy with a provocative column - that way more people read it, argue about it, say his name, etc. etc.
  • Mex49
He is still writing?
Originally posted by Mex49:
He is still writing?

Yes. Cohen writes for the Santa Rosa Press Democrat and he's still kicking up dust and starting arguments about all things sports.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/05/SP8A193QM1.DTL

Can't say I agree with this Ratto article. Not giving into Crabtree is a matter of two principles: 1) not overpaying for talent. no matter how good people think Crabtree is, he still hasn't proven anything. 2) not giving into agents' totally unreasonable demands. it's not just Roger Goodell and the rest of the league who'll be pissed at the 9ers. Afterwards, Euguene Parker will think he owns our front office

I feel like some writers, and maybe Ratto is in this group, like to be contrarians just because it'll get them more attention than if they write nice things all the time.
I seen him at opening day of training camp. What a fat piece of s**t. To make it worse, he was mingling with my most hated journalist...Tim Kawakami.
Share 49ersWebzone