LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

The WR position, who starts and who sits?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:
Why are people saying that Crabtree has to start from the beginning? We have pretty good WR depth, so why not let him split time and learn to play in the league. He's going to have to learn how to get separation and beat the press at the line of scrimmage, so why rush him? It usually takes WRs a couple years to hit their stride in the pros. Yes there have been exceptions, but they tend to be athletic freaks. I'd like to see him back up at all three WR positions.

And for those saying Bruce should play the slot, it's not going to happen. He is neither quick or shifty enough to be a slot receiver. He'll play the Flanker position and when he's in, one of the younger guys will shift to the slot.

My guess would be:

Bruce/Jones = Flanker
Morgan = Split End
Hill = Slot

Crabtree will see plenty of time, but be moved around.

I think Crabtree should start because he could be the best WR on the field when it comes to the beginning of the season. I think that's what everyone is hoping for and that = production + wins = happy fans and good looks at the front office.

I have a hard time believing that a guy that wont even be ready to run until TC, will be the best WR on the team by the first game of the season. I think Crabtree will eventually distinguish himself as the best WR on the team, but there will be a adjustment period. As fans we'll need to be patient and let the guy develop.
Why are people saying that Crabtree has to start from the beginning? We have pretty good WR depth, so why not let him split time and learn to play in the league. He's going to have to learn how to get separation and beat the press at the line of scrimmage, so why rush him? It usually takes WRs a couple years to hit their stride in the pros. Yes there have been exceptions, but they tend to be athletic freaks. I'd like to see him back up at all three WR positions.

And for those saying Bruce should play the slot, it's not going to happen. He is neither quick or shifty enough to be a slot receiver. He'll play the Flanker position and when he's in, one of the younger guys will shift to the slot.

My guess would be:

Bruce/Jones = Flanker
Morgan = Split End
Hill = Slot

thank you, good post
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

My guess would be:

Bruce/Jones = Flanker
Morgan = Split End
Hill = Slot

I think Crabtree should start because he could be the best WR on the field when it comes to the beginning of the season. I think that's what everyone is hoping for and that = production + wins = happy fans and good looks at the front office.

I have a hard time believing that a guy that wont even be ready to run until TC, will be the best WR on the team by the first game of the season. I think Crabtree will eventually distinguish himself as the best WR on the team, but there will be a adjustment period. As fans we'll need to be patient and let the guy develop.

I agree. In no way am I saying he will be the best from day 1, but it's possible. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic? And I didn't mean the first game -- I was ballparking more around the bye when he begins to establish his talent/confidence. Also, I definately do not want to rush Crabtree. I am patient -- hell, I've been watching the team lose for years just hoping for a winning season. Now with that a glaring possibility, there's no need to risk anything, but I'm just saying that it is possible (and I hope it comes true) that Crabtree is the best talent that contributes of the field that we've had since TO.
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Ok. We've improved the WR position MAJORLY over the last 3-4 seasons. We've gotten better from top too bottom, and this seems to be the most talented WR core since Rice, Owens and Stokes. But the big question is now who starts and who sits. We drafted Crabtree number 1, Josh Morgan has MASSIVE potential and showcased it last year his rookie season, Isaac Bruce was our number 1 last season, we just signed Brandon Jones to nifty contract, and Jason Hill is looking good.. This is how I would put em, if i were running the show..
1. Josh Morgan - Proved he has skills, should take off as a starter.
2. Michael Crabtree - To good to sit, the kid HAS to start and WILL make plays!
3. Isaac Bruce - Gets the slot position and can still ball. should be tremendous help for the young ones.
4. Jason Hill - Hill begins as a back up, but could start if JM or Crabs goes down, will be the slot for the next years when Bruce is gone.
5. Brandon Jones - Brandon Jones will get PT, should be a nice rotation if Jones is a 5th receiver.
6. Arnaz Battle/Dominque Ziegler - One or the other may get cut, Sing will make the right decision as I like both guys.

I agree with this assesment. Although with Josh and Michael both playing the X positon if one is forced to move and one eventualy will be aske to I think it will be Josh who will move to the Z. Burrows latest collum pretty much said as much as much saying "Josh has been playing both the X and the Z" It also made the points of saying that "all the recivers are taught all the positons" and has Crabtree saying that he is just focused on learning the X spot at this time, I think that Isaac and Josh will start the year like at the end of last year. Then when Michael is ready Josh will either slide the the Z or split time between the two seeing more and more time at the Z spot.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/022564.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A
Im gonna say this..
Why would we draft Crabtree with our first pick, number 10 overall, the BEST WR in the draft, and have him sit?? Im pretty sure when u draft a player in the first rd you want him to come in day 1 and produce, unless we are talking QB which a young QB needs to learn and usually isnt a factor rookie year. Im just saying MAYBE hes not the 1 or 2, but he has to atleast come in and play slot, the guy is a STUD and arguably one of the best WR prospects to come into the game
Im gonna say this..
Why would we draft Crabtree with our first pick, number 10 overall, the BEST WR in the draft, and have him sit?? Im pretty sure when u draft a player in the first rd you want him to come in day 1 and produce, unless we are talking QB which a young QB needs to learn and usually isnt a factor rookie year. Im just saying MAYBE hes not the 1 or 2, but he has to atleast come in and play slot, the guy is a STUD and arguably one of the best WR prospects to come into the game

The answer to your question, why we would draft him to have him sit, is fairly obvious. He was by far the best prospect remaining when we picked. He was carrying an injury, and also needs to pick up the playbook and acclimatize to NFL speed and player size etc.

If he is ready on Day 1 I imagine he will see plenty of playing time. But I think it is more likely that he will be eased in and possibly won't actually start until the last quarter of the season. As numerous threads attest, this is no longer an area of weakness for us
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Morgan(Y) Bruce(Slot) Crabtree(X)
Jones Battle Hill

Ummm.... the slot is (Y), I think you meant (Z)
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:

Morgan(Y) Bruce(Slot) Crabtree(X)
Jones Battle Hill

Ummm.... the slot is (Y), I think you meant (Z)

Ya I meant to put Crabtree Y, Morgan Z, my fault, I got caught up in the W,X,Y,Z type mode, HA. Well the alphabet aside, I would go MC at the 1, Morgan at the 2, Bruce at the 3.

Morgan(Z) Bruce(Slot) Crabtree(Y)
Jones Battle Hill
[ Edited by waiting4number6 on May 26, 2009 at 10:03 PM ]
starting the season I think the top 3 will be bruce morgan and jones. with hill battle as the primary backups. halfway through the season I think youth and money prevail

Morgan, crabtree, jones and hill with bruce playing in here and there. he's not coming back next year and before the end of the season I think he rides the bench.
Im gonna say this..

I've been saying this for 2 months now...

Originally posted by 49123:
Im gonna say this..

I've been saying this for 2 months now...

hmm.. injured rookie who hasn't run healthy since January, really he hasn't been able to run at his full speed since October 08, when he first got hurt.
That's why.
He will sit and learn the playbook, get a handful of plays, become a force about halfway through the season.
morgan bruce with crabs third for now . but i believe crabs will have some what a desean jackson type impact his first year. stll cant believe we got crabs dude is more hyped than reggie bush was and his jersey still second best seller on nfl.com behind mark sanchez. this dude gonna be a baller.

are there changes coming?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Flanker = .01% Bruce ---- 20% Battle ---- 20% Crabtree

Split End = 60% Morgan ---- 30% B. Jones ---- 10% Crabtree

Slot = 60% Hill ---- 20% Crabtree ---- 20% Battle

Something like this is what I'm thinking at this time. This is so easily subject to change as we go forward in the preseason fun. So much depends on them earning playing time. I just see a lot of "sharing" the snaps this year. Then I figure Crabby and Morgan to earn a full starting gig. Battle may very well get removed from the roster, so that obviously increases snaps for others.

Fixed.
Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Jones.

What's not to like?
Share 49ersWebzone