Originally posted by BrodieFan:
JTO performed better because he was the only one who had a full understanding of Martz' schemes. I read that he wasn't helpful to Hill and Smith either - he seemed to treat the knowledge as his personal advantage, which is what it was - he just evidently wasn't a team player. I thought he could have been very good with better protection, but I think teams learned how to play him - how to jump the outlet receiver because they noticed that when he went to the outlet, he would go quickly, sometimes without hardly looking. At least a few of his ints were passes thrown right to someone.
I agree with everything you said.
Although, and in my opinion, him having an advantage because he knew the offense is irrelevant. I'm not saying it didn't help him. I'm just saying it's just the way things unfold. People can't say, "oh he only started because he knew the offense." Was anyone else qualified to run the offense at the time? Unfortunately not. Martz was our coordinator. People are basically saying that Martz shouldn't have been hired. Moreover, he performed GOOD in preseason. He didn't get the job handed to him. He won it.
Hill came in and did a great job after JTO failed to make adjustments to his errors. Some might claim the offense was tailored towards him. Fine, it may have been. I'll say that Hill just has a better feel for the game than JTO and an exponentially better feel for the game than Smith.

