LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 245 users in the forums

NFL players might participate in flag football at 2028 Olympics

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Who would be on the first Dream Team?

https://www.nfl.com/partners/flag-football/
IFAF, the NFL and USA Football -- the national governing body of American football in the United States -- have joined forces to welcome today's vote of the IOC Session in Mumbai, India, which will see American football feature on the official program of the Olympic Games for the first time in history when flag football makes its debut appearance in Los Angeles 2028.
Today's decision follows prior recommendations by the IOC Executive Board, IOC Olympic Program Commission and Los Angeles 2028 Organizing Committee and concludes a two-year process of evaluation.
------------

https://www.nbcsports.com/olympics/news/flag-football-olympics-nfl-2028-los-angeles
A high-ranking NFL official is open to the possibility of active NFL players competing in Olympic flag football's debut in 2028 in Los Angeles.
"I think there is a desire to work through a process that has NFL players as part of LA '28, but I would never discount the talented flag football players playing that discipline of our sport today at a very high level," Peter O'Reilly, NFL executive vice president, club business, international and league events, told media Tuesday, according to a transcript provided by the NFL. "Ultimately, that decision on the makeup of Team USA is a decision of USA Football and the national governing body or the governing bodies around the world in similar roles.
They might be participating in flag football, in the NFL
the way things are going
So basically Patrick Mahomes, CMC, and the Miami Dolphins.
Finally Akhello Witherspoon a CJ Henderson have a safe place to showcase their skills.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Finally Akhello Witherspoon a CJ Henderson have a safe place to showcase their skills.

lol.
If the players are asked to play both O and D, I would pick all CBs for a lockdown defense.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

lol.
If the players are asked to play both O and D, I would pick all CBs for a lockdown defense.

I'd have Fred Warner still but yeah the D is gonna just be Ramsey, Alexander, Surtain, Sauce, Bates and James and we'd end every game with more INTs than the opposing team has completions.
In flag football the players with the most speed will win. Think Tyreek Hill. Because speed kills in that format. Hard hitters or big sturdy linemen become somewhat less important and vital. Speed demons on offense and defense to chase down will be your best players in that sport. The US has a lot of great football athletes. They have enough speed guys to make it work. There will be some surprises. Big bulldozers who are good in the traditional game may not be as effective at this. You want the most speed on the field you can have in flag football. Run away from people and chase people down.
  • thl408
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
In flag football the players with the most speed will win. Think Tyreek Hill. Because speed kills in that format. Hard hitters or big sturdy linemen become somewhat less important and vital. Speed demons on offense and defense to chase down will be your best players in that sport. The US has a lot of great football athletes. They have enough speed guys to make it work. There will be some surprises. Big bulldozers who are good in the traditional game may not be as effective at this. You want the most speed on the field you can have in flag football. Run away from people and chase people down.

Correct. That's why I propose all CBs. I'd rather teach DBs how to run routes than WRs how to cover and grab flags - at high levels of flag, it's all man coverage. A mobile QB is also preferred so they can evade the one rusher, buy time, sling it around. In the end, it doesn't matter for the US Team, easy Gold medal if it's NFL players.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Correct. That's why I propose all CBs. I'd rather teach DBs how to run routes than WRs how to cover and grab flags - at high levels of flag, it's all man coverage. A mobile QB is also preferred so they can evade the one rusher, buy time, sling it around. In the end, it doesn't matter for the US Team, easy Gold medal if it's NFL players.

Yeah you would want to load up on ridiculous amounts of WR's, CB's. S and LB and TE become somewhat less important. A mobile QB would be great. Fields might actually be great at this. Because it's a different game. Or obviously Lamar Jackson or Mahomes who isn't as fast but always seems to be able to buy time. A fast, shifty return man would also help. Big offensive and defensive linemen would be somewhat negated. DK Metcalf could be good. He doesn't have the change of direction. But he does have take the top off speed. Players like that.

Imagining the first Dream Team for the 2028 Olympic flag football has me super excited. I'd love to see a killer lineup that combines the athleticism and star power of NFL players with the sheer talent and tactical smarts of the best in flag football. It's like mixing the best of both worlds - the flashy plays from the pros and the gritty, innovative strategies from the flag football scene.
It's all fun and games until Puerto Rico kicks your ass by 19 pts in the opener.
Imagining the first Dream Team for the 2028 Olympic flag football has me super excited. I'd love to see a killer lineup that combines the athleticism and star power of NFL players with the sheer talent and tactical smarts of the best in flag football. It's like mixing the best of both worlds - the flashy plays from the pros and the gritty, innovative strategies from the flag football scene.
"Olympic" flag football?
Imagining the first Dream Team for the 2028 Olympic flag football has me super excited. I'd love to see a killer lineup that combines the athleticism and star power of NFL players with the sheer talent and tactical smarts of the best in flag football. It's like mixing the best of both worlds - the flashy plays from the pros and the gritty, innovative strategies from the flag football scene. I love following the build-up to Team USA's roster and diving deep into sports news, so I always use https://sportscore.io as a source of information. They've got all the latest, whether you're tracking this historic addition to the Olympics or just keeping up with your favorite sports.
[ Edited by AZNinerFaithful on Apr 18, 2024 at 5:03 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone