There are 119 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

AND 100 throws is better than 1 throw. But I'm going to bow out here so THL can do his thing
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 6, 2023 at 1:01 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Well, that was fun and short lived, talking about scheme and how Trey fits, or doesn't fit. Back to the usual I guess.

Scheme fit schmeme fit. You see that spiral!?
Originally posted by genus49:
I think if you took the time to look into you'd see that a lot of QBS who didn't have that top status from HS into early starting job as a starter in college took big steps in time.

You will find very few QBs who had major success prior to 20 years old. Most of them are usually those high end recruits who had a lot of work to develop them because their parents knew early on they could make it to the top levels of the game - like Lawerence and Fields, etc.

Lance is a rare case due to his early starting season and then covid.

But just look at the prospects in this year's draft. You have your top end prospects in Young and Stroud. Young will be 22 this season, Stroud will turn 22 mid season.

Then you have guys who have come out as big time prospects this season or just recently like Richardson(going to be in Trey territory as he turns 21), Levis will turn 24 this season and Hooker who is 25 years old.

Richardson just broke out and showed his ability but it was his combine that really got people talking. Plenty out there still think he's a major project.
Levis wasn't even starting until he was 22 and had to transfer out of Penn St.
Hooker looked far from NFL material when he played for VTech before he turned 23.

Other guys took big steps forward as they matured.

Simply put there is a ton of evidence showing that Trey is far from a finished product. That's why the 49ers have to make sure long term Brock will be the better QB. If this is a Drew Brees vs Philip Rivers situation...we better keep Brees.

This will be his 3rd offseason. He sat 2 years. As a comp Mahomes sat 1 year and had 2 offseasons.

I mention Mahomes as that was the model KS specifically referenced on Lance. He mentioned the Alex Smith / Mahomes model. So I think KS's internal idea, is that with 2 offseasons and 1 year sitting Lance would be ready to go. Hard to say if so, he had the injury.

He's had a lot of developmental time. 3 offseasons and 2 years sitting is a lot. It's go time.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
HA and if it looked like a terrible pass… You'd be the first person in here puffing up your chest.

Who's saying told you so anyway? Acting like a kid that hasn't played a to of football can't improve was a stupid thing to think to begin with.

Well, if that was true I would have told you to look at how the WR had to stretch and possibly jump(can't see his feet). When a certain someone threw his passes like that we called them hospital balls and JG was highly scrutinized.

But that wouldn't have been productive so I didn't bring it up.

Hmm, true. How do we even know if the person that caught it was his intended target?
Well, if that was true I would have told you to look at how the WR had to stretch and possibly jump(can't see his feet). When a certain someone threw his passes like that we called them hospital balls and JG was highly scrutinized.

But that wouldn't have been productive so I didn't bring it up.

Oh but you did bring it up….Quit trying so hard dude. For sure it's one pass. You would have s**t on so hard if it didn't look clean….that the problem here. You can't even say, hey nice it's April he's out there throwing balls with Mahomes and it looks clean. It's like you want him to fail. Not shocked at all by your reaction.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 6, 2023 at 1:17 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Looks like Trey is out there spinnin' it 👀

That's pretty asf.
Originally posted by genus49:
I think if you took the time to look into you'd see that a lot of QBS who didn't have that top status from HS into early starting job as a starter in college took big steps in time.

You will find very few QBs who had major success prior to 20 years old. Most of them are usually those high end recruits who had a lot of work to develop them because their parents knew early on they could make it to the top levels of the game - like Lawerence and Fields, etc.

Lance is a rare case due to his early starting season and then covid.

But just look at the prospects in this year's draft. You have your top end prospects in Young and Stroud. Young will be 22 this season, Stroud will turn 22 mid season.

Then you have guys who have come out as big time prospects this season or just recently like Richardson(going to be in Trey territory as he turns 21), Levis will turn 24 this season and Hooker who is 25 years old.

Richardson just broke out and showed his ability but it was his combine that really got people talking. Plenty out there still think he's a major project.
Levis wasn't even starting until he was 22 and had to transfer out of Penn St.
Hooker looked far from NFL material when he played for VTech before he turned 23.

Other guys took big steps forward as they matured.

Simply put there is a ton of evidence showing that Trey is far from a finished product. That's why the 49ers have to make sure long term Brock will be the better QB. If this is a Drew Brees vs Philip Rivers situation...we better keep Brees.

Agreed. Breakout age is a real thing. Lance was 19 yrs old when he had his breakout season…and before people cry about it being at NDSU, he was playing against guys there were 22/23 yrs old. Most of those college players are playing 4 years. For sure the talent level wasn't the same as the SEC, but draft analysts absolutely take into account breakout age.

Dude was still a pup when he stepped on the field. He didn't have 1,500 passing attempts like Brock. Purdy from a mental aspect had way more experience playing QB than him, hence why he looked more confident out there (same s**t with Mullens he had a f**k ton of college reps). Brock is more talented than Nick, but that stuff matters early in a players career.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Oh but you did bring it u….Quit trying so hard dude. For sure it's one pass. You would have s**t on so hard if it didn't look clean….that the problem here. You can't even say, hey nice it's April he's out there throwing balls with Mahomes and it looks clean. It's like you want him to fail. Not shocked at all by your reaction.

You brought up what I would have said if it was a bad pass. YOU! I told you what I would have said if I was to focus on said pass. I intentionally didn't say anything to avoid this very scenario that YOU put us in.

Him working out with Patrick Mahomes don't exactly do anything for me. He's worked out with QBcoaches who's job was to coach him and we still talking about his feet and everything else.

As I have stated numerous times. QBs always look good in the offseason when they are working on whatever it is they're working on. It's when the bullet starts flying when they resort back to what they are. This is how I feel about QBs in general nit just Trey.

Then there's the fact that you and others seem to think that the only thing that matters is game reps or we wouldn't keep saying we have nothing to go off of. Not shocked you pick and choose which reps count

AND 100 throws is better than 1 throw. But I'm going to bow out here so THL can do his thing

I understand that it's only one throw but at least it's positive. If he can continue and carry it into training camp/real games, that's good news.

he always had a funky throwing motion, this looks better. He usually has a pretty big loop.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Apr 6, 2023 at 1:21 PM ]

• Jcool
  • Veteran
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Now this is a better clip to show to compare the two
https://www.youtube.com/live/3yhpE-21tDU?feature=share
david Lombardi talking about Trey and our comp draft picks strategy

he discusses how this could help fix his accuracy issues
[ Edited by tankle104 on Apr 6, 2023 at 1:30 PM ]
You brought up what I would have said if it was a bad pass. YOU! I told you what I would have said if I was to focus on said pass. I intentionally didn't say anything to avoid this very scenario that YOU put us in.

Him working out with Patrick Mahomes don't exactly do anything for me. He's worked out with QBcoaches who's job was to coach him and we still talking about his feet and everything else.

As I have stated numerous times. QBs always look good in the offseason when they are working on whatever it is they're working on. It's when the bullet starts flying when they resort back to what they are. This is how I feel about QBs in general nit just Trey.

Then there's the fact that you and others seem to think that the only thing that matters is game reps or we wouldn't keep saying we have nothing to go off of. Not shocked you pick and choose which reps count

listen to yourself. You're diminishing one little throw. YOU ARE! not me YOU!

Saying "I told you what I would have said" by literally saying it. LOL yeah that makes you sound wayyyyy more objective 🥴

now we got multiple paragraphs of you crapping on everything you can and pointing fingers at a me…just deflecting and tying to discredit posters because you got nothing else to say.

like I said, why can't you be happy that he's out there trying to improve? Why can't you say well that looks like a clean throw and a "tighter throwing motion" because god knows everyone's been butthurt about all that for years. Nah it's the complete opposite, you see one throw and laugh and mock some of us. That's pretty sad dude, we're all supposedly fans of the same team….being right matters so much for you in here clearly. Can't even root for a QB to improve or say hey that looks better. Again not shocked at all.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

But according to someone the WR had to stretch to get that pass….horrible throw

working out with Mahomes. Not impressed
Share 49ersWebzone