LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 151 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Plans change after Dirty appeared before us.

And what happens if Brock doesn't play well overall his next 170 passing attempts?

Then the door is wide open for Trey.

So you see my point. That could be like 4 games of football. It's not a ton of football and people are acting like we got a sure fire QB1 with top 5 upside in Brock. When in reality we have a young injured QB with 170 passing attempts of overall good play (with some question marks sprinkled in).

I think we need as many QBs on this roster and competition. IMO Sam has run his course as a starter though. I'm not giving him a bunch of 1st team reps at this point.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

And what happens if Brock doesn't play well overall his next 170 passing attempts?

So you see my point. That could be like 4 games of football. It's not a ton of football and people are acting like we got a sure fire QB1 with top 5 upside in Brock. When in reality we have a young injured QB with 170 passing attempts of overall good play (with some question marks sprinkled in).

I think we need as many QBs on this roster and competition. IMO Sam has run his course as a starter though. I'm not giving him a bunch of 1st team reps at this point.

I'm with you, this is the first time talking to you about this. I guess we're on the same page. Do you believe in magic? Anything is possible, right?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
A lot of it has to do with the Jimmy fan base. They didn't want him gone and overall would disprove on the next guy up. They hated how he was criticized after years of football…dude was basically just given the keys to the city (zero competition) after 5 games. Now those same fans are gonna do the same.

they setup an unrealistic scenario where they would "accept" Lance BUT He had to play at Mahomes' level lol.

I'll bet money a good % of people had no clue who Brock was. If they watched him in college, they'd get why he was a day 3 prospect with a limited upside. That said he made the most of his opportunities. Great story. Do we honestly think he's gonna sustain that level of play? Is the TD/INT ratio gonna be like that going forward? Maybe maybe not. Why put all your eggs in one basket off such a small sample size? He's a young (currently injured) QB who will have his ups/downs while developing. I thought as the season went on there was some issues…much like a lot of rookies. So the whole were trying to win a SB so we can't develop a young QB is straight crap imo. We're doing that either way. We don't have prime Rogers/Brady on this roster.

People bring up the Bears game, we didn't win and that's what they say matters. Well do we think those same people wouldn't still s**t on him if he played exactly the same BUT SF won? Yeah right lol. We see it will the Houston game. Downplay any good moment and exaggerate every negative.

I have no idea what Lance will become…I do know we won't find out until he's starts playing. That doesn't mean he should be given the QB1 job. We all agree Brock played too well for that and if healthy he would start out getting the 1st team reps. I don't think it's a situation where we have a set in stone QB1 and everyone else is fighting to be the backup. I expect to see both Brock and Lance play this year more than likely.

In the spirit of keeping your debate consistent, was you not wanting to put all of our eggs in one basket last offseason? Was you not wanting to trade Jimmy and give the keys to Trey?

To me this is where everyone needs to be on this topic.

These are the facts:
Brock Purdy is recovering from a serious injury right now and we likely won't see him ready for practice until late July IF that.
Trey Lance is coming off his own serious injury but should be cleared to practice(if not already)
Sam Darnold has 55 games worth of film showing his inconsistency and is new to this offense and team

This should be a golden opportunity for Lance to show his growth from last season and fight for QB1 spot or at minimum secure the backup spot behind Brock.

If Brock misses time in the regular season(let's be honest our coaches/GM have a penchant for underestimating how long someone will be out due to injury) Lance has the opportunity to take the job back. We'll see what happens then.

But we all saw what happened last year. We all hope our string of bad luck with injuries is over at some point but we cannot go back to Nick Mullens, CJ Beathard or Josh Johnson level backups ever again. Not until our QB1 proves he can stay healthy consistently.

So I can understand some people saying "Oh well trade Lance to get something for him" but fact is no team is going to pay us enough to handicap our QB room with the roster we have now.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:

These are the facts:
Brock Purdy is recovering from a serious injury right now and we likely won't see him ready for practice until late July IF that.
Trey Lance is coming off his own serious injury but should be cleared to practice(if not already)
Sam Darnold has 55 games worth of film showing his inconsistency and is new to this offense and team

This should be a golden opportunity for Lance to show his growth from last season and fight for QB1 spot or at minimum secure the backup spot behind Brock.

If Brock misses time in the regular season(let's be honest our coaches/GM have a penchant for underestimating how long someone will be out due to injury) Lance has the opportunity to take the job back. We'll see what happens then.

But we all saw what happened last year. We all hope our string of bad luck with injuries is over at some point but we cannot go back to Nick Mullens, CJ Beathard or Josh Johnson level backups ever again. Not until our QB1 proves he can stay healthy consistently.

So I can understand some people saying "Oh well trade Lance to get something for him" but fact is no team is going to pay us enough to handicap our QB room with the roster we have now.

I am a firm believe in QB system fits. Heck even Tom Brady was looking bad in Tampa under BA until midway through the season BA started adding stuff for Brady that he did in NE. They went on to win a SB.

I say that to say I think this will be the best fit Sam may have ever had for himself. After Sam took over last year CAR WR's league the league in YAC yards. That is right up our alley. Now, i'm not going to pretend that we should expect a SB if Darnold has to play significant snaps. I will say, that I think we will see the best Sam Darnold we've ever seen. Kind of like Jimmy last year.

I think we could win just as many games with Sam as Trey. They would look different. I think they both would look inconsistent. Trey would be more of the same deep balls and QB runs. While Sam I can see being a less efficient JG.

If we were able to get a potential starter out of Trey i'd pull the trigger. Early 2nd picks could be... ADETOMIWA ADEBAWORE, ANTONIO JOHNSON, DARNELL WRIGHT, DEONTE BANKS etc.... Yea if we could land us an early 2nd this year plus a day two pick next year that could improve based on playing time, awards, etc..... I'm all over it.
Originally posted by krizay:
In the spirit of keeping your debate consistent, was you not wanting to put all of our eggs in one basket last offseason? Was you not wanting to trade Jimmy and give the keys to Trey?

I wanted to trade Jimmy, save a bunch of cash and sign someone like Dalton, correct.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
How much do you think we would pay a 3rd string qb? At most? Vet min. Most likely? It'll be a rookie we draft, we've already had pre draft visits because Kyle likes to draft young guys and have them in the stable.

But yes, it would cost us more money but obviously if we trade Lance - it wouldn't be for money savings. Trading or keeping him would cost around the same.

If he's traded, which I think a majority of people understand that's a big if, it would be what we get in return draft pick/player wise.

Bingo!
What's more embarrassing, people who think a young and talented QB the team selected after a big trade should be given a chance to compete for the job on an equal playing ground or guys who compete in mental gymnastics to bash the kid and call others "stans"?

Equal playing ground? Purdy has earned the advantage after last year. NOT ONCE did Lance look even remotely close to Purdy on the field. Stan
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
https://youtu.be/v959NkGsG0o
david Lombardi def reads our forum. Listen to the beginning lmao

Well thats embarrassing...

I watched it, did he specify the web zone or something?
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I don't understand his point. Are there really people arguing that Lance deserves to start over a healthy Purdy?

I don't think so. I think people are saying Lance is getting first crack in camp, and if he wows people (especially if Brock is still on the mend in the preseason or week 1), he could conceivably take the job back.

Pretty much my thinking.

Imo this works "fair" for everyone while not having to take too much heat in the media. Because of Purdy healing up - Trey gets a lot of reps resulting in a shot that he needs and deserves so we get a real good look. They spent a ton on him so it's worthwhile in that sense.

Now if Trey is winning it'll get interesting. My guess is Kyle rides that because that's his track record.

My best guess is Purdy isn't ready until a few games into the season and also, after all the damn injury bs we've been through, don't rush it.

I also believe if Lance is benched he will ask to be traded to a team where he can get on the field.

I wouldn't say it impossible, anything's possible, but Kyle emphasized "film" when he mentioned why Purdy is QB1. I interpret that as Lance would have to prove it in a game. So I think if Lance gets a chance to start a handful of games and balls - it's a real possibility.

i only see that happening if Brock is hurt or has a hiccup in his recovery

I agree, but the thing is we don't know much about either guy really. For me it makes sense Brock is "better" than Lance at this point given his experience in college compared to Trey. That being said Brock was amazing in his few starts. Way above anyone's expectations.

My fear is we go with Brock and he's good, but not as good as being projected and hyped right now. Because of that we never develop Lance who technically has the higher ceiling so it will be the ole "what if" that haunts fans.

Also I would imagine Lance will have a slow start, but the idea for me is take that step back and say is he improving week to week etc. I feel like Kyle may never give him that chance.

Originally posted by krizay:
I am a firm believe in QB system fits. Heck even Tom Brady was looking bad in Tampa under BA until midway through the season BA started adding stuff for Brady that he did in NE. They went on to win a SB.

I say that to say I think this will be the best fit Sam may have ever had for himself. After Sam took over last year CAR WR's league the league in YAC yards. That is right up our alley. Now, i'm not going to pretend that we should expect a SB if Darnold has to play significant snaps. I will say, that I think we will see the best Sam Darnold we've ever seen. Kind of like Jimmy last year.

I think we could win just as many games with Sam as Trey. They would look different. I think they both would look inconsistent. Trey would be more of the same deep balls and QB runs. While Sam I can see being a less efficient JG.

If we were able to get a potential starter out of Trey i'd pull the trigger. Early 2nd picks could be... ADETOMIWA ADEBAWORE, ANTONIO JOHNSON, DARNELL WRIGHT, DEONTE BANKS etc.... Yea if we could land us an early 2nd this year plus a day two pick next year that could improve based on playing time, awards, etc..... I'm all over it.

I would only start Trey over Lance in effort to see how he would look and his development, but since his decelopment isn't a major priority anymore, Id actually have more confidence in darnold (just because he's a more known product than Trey) to win starts for us in a pinch.

the issue with the last part of your message is IF Trey was traded - we would most likely designate it post June 1 to help with the cap hit, meaning we wouldn't get any draft capitol for this season. It would have to be next or later.
I would only start Trey over Lance in effort to see how he would look and his development, but since his decelopment isn't a major priority anymore, Id actually have more confidence in darnold (just because he's a more known product than Trey) to win starts for us in a pinch.

the issue with the last part of your message is IF Trey was traded - we would most likely designate it post June 1 to help with the cap hit, meaning we wouldn't get any draft capitol for this season. It would have to be next or later.

Only thing Sam has shown is he's a bad QB overall. There's years worth of film backing that up. IMO sam might not even make the final roster. We cut Sudfield last yr on a $2M gtd contract. I don't think they saved any cash cutting him either.

I see no reason to move Lance. Not unless it means they're landing a pro-bowl QB or stupid compensation.

These are the facts:

• krizay
  • Veteran

yea I don't see them designating it post June. Though it is possible he isn't traded until after the draft. Which to your main point would mean no picks for us this year.

Only thing Sam has shown is he's a bad QB overall. There's years worth of film backing that up. IMO sam might not even make the final roster. We cut Sudfield last yr on a $2M gtd contract. I don't think they saved any cash cutting him either.

I see no reason to move Lance. Not unless it means they're landing a pro-bowl QB or stupid compensation.

I agree darnold sucks. But now you're s**tting on shanny. He's loved daenold since he came out. Explain yourself.
Share 49ersWebzone