LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 191 users in the forums

The Washington Commanders Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Yeah there's 300+ billion people who live in this country. You can't expect all of them to not be s**tty people. I don't see how tearing down Abraham Lincoln and Fredrick Douglas statues is progressive, especially when they helped black people, and in Lincoln's case, it cost him his life.

I agree but sadly lke so many causes and protests, people go overboard. Just like the Redskins logo where people start pointing to Cowboys and Vikings as being offensive. By the way, we have 330 Million not Billion people. Thank goodness.

Who is getting upset over a cowboy or viking? When has the word cowboy or viking ever been used in an offensive way? And who the hell here has ever been called a dumb viking? Are any of those things really an issue in this country or you're just making up stuff?

The word redskin is offensive. Just like if was the blackskins, or the rednecks, or slanted eyes. How some people don't get this is beyond me. Our educational system has failed big time.

Scroll thru this thread. There are people that are throwing out everything that refers to a human being. I posted that because several posts have brought them up when they aren't offensive. I guess it's their way of trying to say that we are too politically correct. You know, let's be careful we don't want to offend Viking people. Let's not offend the Irish. It's stupid and those names aren't offensive like Redskins.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Yeah there's 300+ billion people who live in this country. You can't expect all of them to not be s**tty people. I don't see how tearing down Abraham Lincoln and Fredrick Douglas statues is progressive, especially when they helped black people, and in Lincoln's case, it cost him his life.

I agree but sadly lke so many causes and protests, people go overboard. Just like the Redskins logo where people start pointing to Cowboys and Vikings as being offensive. By the way, we have 330 Million not Billion people. Thank goodness.

Who is getting upset over a cowboy or viking? When has the word cowboy or viking ever been used in an offensive way? And who the hell here has ever been called a dumb viking? Are any of those things really an issue in this country or you're just making up stuff?

The word redskin is offensive. Just like if was the blackskins, or the rednecks, or slanted eyes. How some people don't get this is beyond me. Our educational system has failed big time.

See if the cowboys change their name to the Dallas Palefaces
I wonder what they will be called? Washington Natives maybe? That doesn't sound half bad to me. They want something related to the Native American symbol but, in a more positive way obviously.. Washington Warriors was another suggestion I saw.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jul 8, 2020 at 2:43 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I wonder what they will be called? Washington Natives maybe? That doesn't sound half bad to me. They want something related to the Native American symbol but, in a more positive way obviously.. Washington Warriors was another suggestion I saw.
or just go with the local Tribes name, Like what they did at Florida State
What if they keep the same logo but the call themselves Natives or Warriors?
The concern for me would be that we're just going to start seeing teams remove themselves from anything associating with Native Americans to avoid the headache now and in the future and Native Americans will have very little representation at all.

The other thing to me is I rarely hear anyone championing the causes for Native Americans that will actually impact their lives. You have unemployment, drug addiction, education issues, and a myriad of other problems plaguing Native American communities and granted I know you can chew bubble gum and walk at the same time so you can want the name changed and still champion causes for Native Americans but all mainly hear is how racist the name is and it should be changed.

To me it's like walking up to a starving homeless person and telling him "Good news. We got everyone to stop calling you a hobo since it's offensive." and than walking away.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
This thread reminded me of the adage-- be better today than yesterday.

They wanted to honor the Native Americans but named them by the color of their skin lol. Mild or agregious, it's still racist.

It was ok up until about the 90's. That's when I heard of it being racist,but not enough people give a s**t back then. It's now 2020. We all need to be a little more sensitive to racism. The name change seems superficial, but if we can be a little bit better for it than yesterday, why not...

Except that's just the common way we've referred to races, white, black, red....

Most Indians (and yes most call themselves Indians not "native americans") are not offended by it. In polls I've seen 75-90% were not offended. And of the ones that are, I wonder how many were swayed to be see it as derogatory by the "woke whites". I'm sure it must seem offensive if you are TOLD that he was meant to be offense. Which I think it clearly was not.
How long before this circles back to people offended that only white people are represented as mascots?
Lmao wow....we are living in a South Park episode

I recommend you use their strategy for stopping immigration to stop cancel culture.
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
The concern for me would be that we're just going to start seeing teams remove themselves from anything associating with Native Americans to avoid the headache now and in the future and Native Americans will have very little representation at all.

The other thing to me is I rarely hear anyone championing the causes for Native Americans that will actually impact their lives. You have unemployment, drug addiction, education issues, and a myriad of other problems plaguing Native American communities and granted I know you can chew bubble gum and walk at the same time so you can want the name changed and still champion causes for Native Americans but all mainly hear is how racist the name is and it should be changed.

To me it's like walking up to a starving homeless person and telling him "Good news. We got everyone to stop calling you a hobo since it's offensive." and than walking away.

Whilst I completely agree that Native Americans need help with their problems, I am not sure how having a billionaire owning a team of professional footballers, and calling them by a relatively derogatory name, is actually helping them.

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Lmao wow....we are living in a South Park episode

I recommend you use their strategy for stopping immigration to stop cancel culture.

Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
This thread reminded me of the adage-- be better today than yesterday.

They wanted to honor the Native Americans but named them by the color of their skin lol. Mild or agregious, it's still racist.

It was ok up until about the 90's. That's when I heard of it being racist,but not enough people give a s**t back then. It's now 2020. We all need to be a little more sensitive to racism. The name change seems superficial, but if we can be a little bit better for it than yesterday, why not...

Except that's just the common way we've referred to races, white, black, red....

Most Indians (and yes most call themselves Indians not "native americans") are not offended by it. In polls I've seen 75-90% were not offended. And of the ones that are, I wonder how many were swayed to be see it as derogatory by the "woke whites". I'm sure it must seem offensive if you are TOLD that he was meant to be offense. Which I think it clearly was not.

I understand your perspective. I used to think this way too. But then I realized most races don't want people to refer to them by the color of there skin. Asians don't want people to refer to them as yellow. Puerto Rican brown, pretty sure Native Americans don't want people to refer to them as redskins either if they have the choice,etc. If people use it upon them, it may be mild enough to let it go.

Racism between black and white been so much bad history between them, that calling each other black or white seemed desensitized.

We can do better than referring to each other by the 'color' of the skin.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 9, 2020 at 7:45 AM ]
Looks like they're leaning towards the Washington Warriors
I like Redtails. Mostly because it's not generic like other names that had been used before with other sports teams.

I like Hogs too.
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:

Recent polls show a higher number of native Americans finding the term racist. It's really the company that holds the naming rights that's driving this. I don't think Snyder suddenly pulled his head out of the ground.
Share 49ersWebzone