There are 291 users in the forums

Alex Smith and the Washington Redskins

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Is Alex better than Jimmy?

If we are judging apples to apples, Jimmy G is exponentially better than Alex Smith 11 games into their careers.

Jimmy went 5-0 with the worst roster in the NFL

That's the only thing on his resume right now , but very impressive

81% win % and 96 career qb rating says ask again when he has a lengthier resume. But so far that's tough to compete against.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 9, 2019 at 9:01 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:

81% win % and 96 career qb rating says ask again when he has a lengthier resume. But so far that's tough to compete against.

Let's be honest, the way Jimmy looked and won that game, is the way Alex looked and won 90-95% of his games since 2011.

Jimmy > Alex. Jimmy might make a mistake to cost you a game against a s****y team that you should have beat, but at the end of the day he's at least trying to make plays. If he gets hot at the right time, that mentality can take you to a SB (Flacco).

With Alex and a talented roster, you will beat the s****y teams more often, but you will always have a less than 5% chance of winning a SB. A QB playing not to lose is good for racking up wins in the regular season (if you have a talented roster), but that will always get you beat at some point during a playoff run.
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Sep 10, 2019 at 2:44 AM ]
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Jimmy went 5-0 with the worst roster in the NFL

That's the only thing on his resume right now , but very impressive

The narrative of Jimmy winning with the worst roster comes from our 2015/2016 rosters, combined with Hoyer and Beathard sucking in 2017. The narrative was also pushed by people that wanted to use Jimmys winning as a way to show Kap didn't belong, but the rosters/coaching weren't the same at all.

What happened was Shanny improved the roster, but downgraded at QB. Then Jimmy comes in, the players felt like they had a reason to play, and we went on a little run. What Jimmy did was really impressive, but that was no longer the worst roster/coaching in the NFL.

Kittle, Goodwin, Taylor >>>> Bell, Harper, Kerley. The defense in 2017 was also better than 2016 (worst in NFL).
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Sep 10, 2019 at 5:17 AM ]
  • dj43
WAY too early to compare JG with Smith, or any other QB. The kid has only played a dozen games and half his wins came against teams that were mailing it in at the tail end of the season and had no book on him.

Let's wait until he has stayed healthy for a full season. If he can finish the year with a QB rating in the mid-to-high 90s (roughly Smith's career) or better, then we have something to talk about and compare. Right now he has a QB rating of 80.3, which puts him #27. He will get better, and we all hope he will, but let's not get all jumpy just yet.
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Let's be honest, the way Jimmy looked and won that game, is the way Alex looked and won 90-95% of his games since 2011.

Jimmy > Alex. Jimmy might make a mistake to cost you a game against a s****y team that you should have beat, but at the end of the day he's at least trying to make plays. If he gets hot at the right time, that mentality can take you to a SB (Flacco).

With Alex and a talented roster, you will beat the s****y teams more often, but you will always have a less than 5% chance of winning a SB. A QB playing not to lose is good for racking up wins in the regular season (if you have a talented roster), but that will always get you beat at some point during a playoff run.

You can't look at a single game. You have to look at their career and in Jimmy's it's not much of one but his previous 10 games says he's pretty good. He's 7-2 as a starter here and that should say everything because he hasn't been working with much.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 10, 2019 at 10:37 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by SoCold:
Compare the two, right now? No good way.
Age. Not a factor.
None.

If there is no good way to judge Alex versus Jimmy, you are essentially saying that there is no good way to judge any quarterback against one of his peers. Because the situations are never going to be the same.

Joe Montana or Brady? Different situations, so we cant compare the two.

Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers? Eh, different situations. Would be unfair to judge.

IMO, no. Not right now. Can Jimmy finish a full season first?

You're trying to compare a guy that's been in the league for like for 15 years and has 10 full season of games played to a guy who's never even finished half a season.

Comparing like QBs with HOF type careers is a totally different story.

Then maybe your first post on the subject should have been directed at the guy who asked the question, not me who responded.

No. I responded to your apples to apples and first 11 games comment. Maybe you shouldn't have responded to his silly question?
[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Sep 10, 2019 at 1:38 PM ]
No. I responded to your apples to apples and first 11 games comment. Maybe you shouldn't have responded to his silly question?

Silly question you guys been debating for a few days...

Right. My point is that if your opinion the whole time was that Jimmy has only played 11 games so they shouldn't be compared, then your pro Alex response to me should have simply been that Jimmy hasnt played long enough to warrant a comparison. Instead you went to bat for Alex.

Right. My point is that if your opinion the whole time was that Jimmy has only played 11 games so they shouldn't be compared, then your pro Alex response to me should have simply been that Jimmy hasnt played long enough to warrant a comparison. Instead you went to bat for Alex.

Jimmys only 11 games are better than Alex's first 11 games AND last 11 games

He just added context on the difference of the franchise they went to. Stating a fact isn't "going to bat."

He just added context on the difference of the franchise they went to. Stating a fact isn't "going to bat."

The context he provided was spun in a pro-Alex way. You know it. He knows it. I know it.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Sep 10, 2019 at 3:14 PM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

My original point was to disagree with comparing their first 11 games because their situations were so different.

Then you asked me, so how would you compare them?

My thought is you can't compare 11 games to 161 games.

Pro Alex? Going to bat for him? How you got that from what I posted is mind bottling.

Lolz

My original point was to disagree with comparing their first 11 games because their situations were so different.

Then you asked me, so how would you compare them?

My thought is you can't compare 11 games to 161 games.

Pro Alex? Going to bat for him? How you got that from what I posted is mind bottling.

Lolz

Oh, you must be new here...
Share 49ersWebzone