There are 239 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
How many of the 32 starts did any of the QBs you listed come on a Superbowl ready team? Blows me away that circumstances are ignored to come up with these lazy comparisons.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
How many of the 32 starts did any of the QBs you listed come on a Superbowl ready team? Blows me away that circumstances are ignored to come up with these lazy comparisons.

How many of Jimmy's 32 starts did he have Megatron, TY Hilton, Reggie Wayne, Tony Gonzalez, or Roddy White?
Originally posted by a49erfan77:

How many of Jimmy's 32 starts did he have Megatron, TY Hilton, Reggie Wayne, Tony Gonzalez, or Roddy White?

How many years did it take Jimmy to get 32 starts? 7 seasons? For the amount of years Jimmy has been in the league how many starts did all those other QBs have? I'm sure a hell of a lot more. The biggest concern is it took Jimmy over half a decade to just start 32 games.

Nobody I know were calling the Niners a "Super Bowl ready team" going into the 2019 season. Which of course made sense coming off of a 4-12 year. I remember listening to 95.7 The Game just before the start of the 2019 season and you have these talking heads saying the Niners would be very fortunate to come home 1-1 after their first two on the road vs. the Bucs & Bengals, and then they'd have all kinds of trouble in upcoming games beating teams like the Steelers, Rams, Panthers, Green Bay, etc. Many were calling for an 8-8 or worse record for that team going into that year. Garoppolo helped make that 2019 team a Super Bowl team. I'm not saying he was great but I am saying he was very good, a Top 12 QB at least that year, that played a big part in helping this team exceed expectations and get to the SB. I mean, who were his WRs before Sanders joined in Game 7 vs. the Panthers? A rookie in Deebo, Bourne, Goodwin, Pettis, Taylor, James...wow.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Jun 1, 2021 at 11:56 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Howlett49:

How many years did it take Jimmy to get 32 starts? 7 seasons? For the amount of years Jimmy has been in the league how many starts did all those other QBs have? I'm sure a hell of a lot more. The biggest concern is it took Jimmy over half a decade to just start 32 games.

Part of that is because he's injured too often. The other part is he was stuck behind Brady.

Answer my question, please. Thx.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Nobody I know were calling the Niners a "Super Bowl ready team" going into the 2019 season. Which of course made sense coming off of a 4-12 year. I remember listening to 95.7 The Game just before the start of the 2019 season and you have these talking heads saying the Niners would be very fortunate to come home 1-1 after their first two on the road vs. the Bucs & Bengals, and then they'd have all kinds of trouble in upcoming games beating teams like the Steelers, Rams, Panthers, Green Bay, etc. Many were calling for an 8-8 or worse record for that team going into that year. Garoppolo helped make that 2019 team a Super Bowl team. I'm not saying he was great but I am saying he was very good, a Top 12 QB at least that year, that played a big part in helping this team exceed expectations and get to the SB. I mean, who were his WRs before Sanders joined in Game 7 vs. the Panthers? A rookie in Deebo, Bourne, Goodwin, Pettis, Taylor, James...wow.

Just because no one was predicting it pre-season, doesnt mean it wasnt true.

and how many games did we lose by 3 or less points with Hoyer? SF wasn't getting blown out...and that's with a gypsy UDFA at QB. IMO Shanahan is a mastermind and had this team in a place to compete, they just needed someone that can throw the ball to the open receiver off the first read....issue is when guys get hurt, the first read isn't there, or we NEED the QB to flat out make a play Jimmy overall wasn't really don't that on a consistent level....Injuries for sure played a part too.
Originally posted by thl408:

Part of that is because he's injured too often. The other part is he was stuck behind Brady.

Exactly. It's hard to compare Jimmy's first 32 starts after several seasons to other QBs first 32 starts in just 2 seasons. Jimmy has been around for awhile now and it's not fair to compare him to QBs that started 32 games their first 2 seasons. It's like saying, "hey look at Jimmy's veteran numbers to these second year guys".
The good news is on paper, this should be an ideal situation to walk in to, whether veteran or rookie. This is a very talented team with system experience and because of the constant injuries, a very deep team with plenty of on-field experience, 2 to 4-players deep. That now includes the QB room too.

Get back to establishing the run, reduce the QB hits, QB friendly scheme, defensive dominance, kicking game, healthy and winning the TO and TOP battle, etc. the QB should be able to settle down and just let it rip with confidence.

Both QB's should have immediate and regular success.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 1, 2021 at 12:11 PM ]

Originally posted by thl408:

Exactly. It's hard to compare Jimmy's first 32 starts after several seasons to other QBs first 32 starts in just 2 seasons. Jimmy has been around for awhile now and it's not fair to compare him to QBs that started 32 games their first 2 seasons. It's like saying, "hey look at Jimmy's veteran numbers to these second year guys".

But those guys listed also had all-pro caliber weapons and played in incredibly weak divisions.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

and how many games did we lose by 3 or less points with Hoyer? SF wasn't getting blown out...and that's with a gypsy UDFA at QB. IMO Shanahan is a mastermind and had this team in a place to compete, they just needed someone that can throw the ball to the open receiver off the first read....issue is when guys get hurt, the first read isn't there, or we NEED the QB to flat out make a play Jimmy overall wasn't really don't that on a consistent level....Injuries for sure played a part too.

Yes, injuries definitely played a part and we all know Garoppolo needs to stay healthy. What also played a part was average-to-below average WRs (before Sanders arrived), and you include Deebo in 2019, a rookie at one of the toughest positions in the NFL to right away get acclimated.

We'll see what happens. I'm not going to say you don't think Garoppolo is good because you've said you do think he's good. But you calling him "average" when he's healthy like in 2019 is completely off base. Just like when you said he had an "elite" D playing behind him in 2019 - yes, you've said that multiple times in the past and recently have changed it to 'Top 5', which I agree with for 2019. My point is you and certain other posters here seem to go out of your way to try to minimize Garoppolo as a QB and what he's done for this team. In watching and re-watching all of his games he's started for this team, he is an above average QB when healthy, Top 12, yet one that definitely does need to improve in some key areas and I think he still can given he's only thrown 977 career passes (not a lot at all) and the more game reps, the more D "looks" + situations, I really believe he can and will. Starting this season. He's a competitor and I'm looking forward to seeing him take on the challenge of again leading this team and the Niners having an excellent winning chance vs. any team in this league...while also competing to remain QB1 this season with a young, talented QB in Lance behind him.

*Edit: I have to include this because I just read it in the Trey Lance thread - you acknowledged Garoppolo as an above average QB. I've read too many in your previous posts saying he's just an average QB so I'm trying to be fair here. From your post moments ago: "He's a above avg starting QB who happens to play on an amazing roster with a mastermind play caller."
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Jun 1, 2021 at 12:33 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

The fact that we weren't getting blown out wasn't due to Shanahan being a mastermind. They averaged 16 points per game with Hoyer at QB. The defense made those games close, aside from the Rams game. Hell, in 3 of his 5 full games, the offense didn't even score a TD. Out of his 21 quarters as the 49ers starting QB, they only scored TDs in 4 of them.
[ Edited by a49erfan77 on Jun 1, 2021 at 12:34 PM ]
The fact that we weren't getting blown out wasn't due to Shanahan being a mastermind. They averaged 16 points per game with Hoyer at QB. The defense made those games close, aside from the Rams game. Hell, in 3 of his 5 full games, the offense didn't even score a TD. Out of his 21 quarters as the 49ers starting QB, they only scored TDs in 4 of them.

Good points. I remember the D keeping this team in many games back then and helping to keep the score close. I remember saying many, many times, "If we only had a quality QB to help put this team over the top and win those close games." Then Garoppolo came aboard and they started winning those close games plus some blowouts. Yes, the talent around him also improved and everyone helped in getting this team over the hump.

Garoppolo, since he's been QB1 and has played complete games, has helped keep this team in every single game and the Niners have had a chance to win in each of those. One of his worst games was vs. the Vikings yet they were still down only by one score with the ball in the last minute. Even in that game as rough as it was for him, it wasn't all on Garoppolo...you had a fumble by Morris at the Vikes' 1, Garcon dropped a ball in the end zone, Pettis dropped one in the end zone (though the DB was right on him), and Kittle had that longer pass go right through his hands (had a lot of room to run).
Yes, injuries definitely played a part and we all know Garoppolo needs to stay healthy. What also played a part was average-to-below average WRs (before Sanders arrived), and you include Deebo in 2019, a rookie at one of the toughest positions in the NFL to right away get acclimated.

We'll see what happens. I'm not going to say you don't think Garoppolo is good because you've said you do think he's good. But you calling him "average" when he's healthy like in 2019 is completely off base. Just like when you said he had an "elite" D playing behind him in 2019 - yes, you've said that multiple times in the past and recently have changed it to 'Top 5', which I agree with for 2019. My point is you and certain other posters here seem to go out of your way to try to minimize Garoppolo as a QB and what he's done for this team. In watching and re-watching all of his games he's started for this team, he is an above average QB when healthy, Top 12, yet one that definitely does need to improve in some key areas and I think he still can given he's only thrown 977 career passes (not a lot at all) and the more game reps, the more D "looks" + situations, I really believe he can and will. Starting this season. He's a competitor and I'm looking forward to seeing him take on the challenge of again leading this team and the Niners having an excellent winning chance vs. any team in this league...while also competing to remain QB1 this season with a young, talented QB in Lance behind him.

*Edit: I have to include this because I just read it in the Trey Lance thread - you acknowledged Garoppolo as an above average QB. I've read too many in your previous posts saying he's just an average QB so I'm trying to be fair here. From your post moments ago: "He's a above avg starting QB who happens to play on an amazing roster with a mastermind play caller."

I said above avg....so like 15th in the NFL.

You like a lot of posters go out of your way to make every excuse under the sun for Jimmy, all while minimizing what everyone else on this team did in 2019. It's not hating on Jimmy, it's calling a spade a spade and taking the homerism out of it. As long as he's in SF I'll root for him, I'm not gonna be blind about what he is though.

You don't get to be called a "top 10 QB" if you NEED to have a elite team around you to be good. You can't blame WR play, OL play, bad play calling and in the same breath say he's some stud QB....if he was a stud QB he wouldn't need everything to be perfect around him to be okay.
Share 49ersWebzone