There are 209 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Okay, so having a QB with a 75% win average in the games he's started is the new baseline for being average. Got it.

If that true we should have never traded Alex smith? Dude was winning all kinds of games with Harbs Baltimore should have never moved on from Flacco he won a ton of games. Smith in KC. Dalton won a ton of games.

If you think it's only the QB that wins games, then I don't want to hear a single excuse for Jimmy when we lose a game going forward. Fair?

Come on man...you know I respect your posting but you're reaching so hard i'm afraid you'll hurt something.

Alex Smith had years of starting experience. He was what he was. And we saw fully well what he was capable of in 2011.

Yes we saw the excellent Alex Smith who finished the Saints in spectacular way but we also saw the 95% of Alex Smith in the middle of that game, before the late heroics in a do or die situation and the 95% of Alex Smith in the Giants game. The game where the defense kept giving the offense the ball back and we just couldn't do squat with it because Alex was playing too safe.

When you have a QB who plays too safe you better hope the rest of your team is having their A game. Cuz if any of them have an off game your odds of winning drop significantly.

For all of Jimmy's success on 3rd down that's like the opposite of Alex. How many times did Alex throw it short of the down marker? How many 3 and outs did we have in those playoff games with him?

I do think you can't make blanket statements about win % because here are just some situations which clearly make it easier for QBs to rack up the wins but outside of last year Jimmy's wins have all been pretty quality.

The two wins he had with the Pats were when that offense was missing some of their heavy hitters. Edelman was banged up and Gronk wasn't even playing. Sure they were a still pretty good team(won SB that year) but he certainly did his part in those two wins.

The 5 wins he had here in 2017 we all know about. Say what you will about sample size those were super impressive and the impact he had on the whole roster was crazy...which is why he got the contract he got.

Some QBs just seem to win more often than not. Jimmy has done that. Will he continue to do that? We'll see but in a sport where wins are so important due to lack of games, best of X series in the playoffs...you don't replace a guy who somehow keeps getting you a W at the end of the game.

And lastly to finish up how silly your Alex Smith comparison was...Alex's win % with us was 51%. With the KC wins he's at 58%

Flacco with the Ravens was at 58%
Dalton with Cinci was at 53%

I'm sure as Jimmy plays more his numbers will level out a bit. I mean this season alone is a perfect example with all the injuries. We're 4-3 but really could be undefeated if injuries aren't a fact. Hell even with the injuries we really should be 6-1 if we have a couple of plays go differently.

But UNTIL those numbers level off replacing him is a slippery slope. And you better be sure you have a Mahomes type QB waiting in the wings.
Originally posted by sacniner:
I'll take the Niners playmakers, and the true playmaker in Kyle, over what Murray has any day.

Think it's kind of BS that people s**t on other players to support Jimmy.

Deebo is a pro bowl level talent, Aiyuk is a pro bowl level talent that may have HoF level talent, Kittle is a hall of famer, Mostert is elite and Kyle Shanahan is the best offensive mind in the NFL. No need to diss any of those guys to compliment Jimmy. Sure we've had injuries, but those guys are usually there. Kyle is always there

It's so stupid...Jimmy doesn't have the best WR in Nuk so it's not fair! Wahh BUT Jimmy is still better lol. Imo a great QB MAKES players around them better, NOT needing great players to make them better. Bringing up the AZ WRs acting like they're some great group then s**tting on what we have is a complete joke as well...outside of Nuk, who gives a s**t. If only Jimmy had And Isabella, 37 yr old Fitz, or Kirk lol please.

Our playmakers are so bad that all Jimmy has to do is throw the ball near the LOS for them to eat up YAC. Poor Jimmy

s**tting on the rest of the roster to prop up Jimmy is ridiculous. This is a damn good team and he's part of that. IMO our playmakers are NOT holding back some untapped potential with our QB.

He is who he is, a good not great QB that runs Kyle's scheme the way Kyle wants to run it with him.

I think his post had some valid points to it but it was overblown.

The guys we have here are very talented. The thing is at least right now they're not on the level of Hopkins or Jones. Aiyuk looks promising but he's a rookie which was part of his point...the inexperience.

Inexperience doesn't mean someone sucks but it can show up on the field and throw things off and make things look quite ugly. There have been numerous times where people bash Jimmy or another player for an ugly looking play only to find out from the coach later that there was a mental error, wrong route ran or something along those lines...mistakes typically seen from younger players or guys who haven't worked together long enough to pick up each other's queues.

Deebo and Aiyuk were both out vs Arizona - a game you and others have called a terrible performance by Jimmy. Kittle was also limited most of that game due to injury(please don't stoop to blaming Jimmy for the injury like others have done)

Are these excuses or factual statements?

If we're praising all these guys we have then shouldn't we acknowledge that when they're not out there offensive production will suffer?

Our OL gave up 48 QB hits in the first 5 games of this season. Since the playcalling was adjusted to these quick hitters last two games they've given up 5.

Getting the ball out early wasn't a change to only help Jimmy. It was to help the offense and the OL as well.

And last thing I'll say is that while our guys IMO are super talented outside of Aiyuk they're not guys to stretch the field. So whether it's you or others who are looking for these big plays down the field and get hung up on lack of air yards. Just remember that our guys are all YAC monsters. Why not get them the ball quick and watch them work? It helps our QB, it helps our OL and it's helped us win games.

Until air yards count more than YAC yards...I couldn't give 2 sh*ts about how many we have as long as we're winning games.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

I'm the one in the middle still trying to protect Dante lol.
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by FL9er:
what's this got to do with Jimmy? are you saying we should slow down the criticism on him?

Watch it. He referenced Jimmy G in the vid. Colin's a tool, but it was an interesting take. Outside of a few fanbases, it seems like they all have issues with their favorite team's starting QB.

maybe provide a time to go to so we don't have to watch the rest of the video.

It's actually worth a watch. Jimmy is mentioned very briefly but he makes some good points.

Summary is basically - there are very few perfect(if any QBs) if you have one that's pretty good then you build around him and support him.
Originally posted by genus49:
Come on man...you know I respect your posting but you're reaching so hard i'm afraid you'll hurt something.

Alex Smith had years of starting experience. He was what he was. And we saw fully well what he was capable of in 2011.

Yes we saw the excellent Alex Smith who finished the Saints in spectacular way but we also saw the 95% of Alex Smith in the middle of that game, before the late heroics in a do or die situation and the 95% of Alex Smith in the Giants game. The game where the defense kept giving the offense the ball back and we just couldn't do squat with it because Alex was playing too safe.

When you have a QB who plays too safe you better hope the rest of your team is having their A game. Cuz if any of them have an off game your odds of winning drop significantly.

For all of Jimmy's success on 3rd down that's like the opposite of Alex. How many times did Alex throw it short of the down marker? How many 3 and outs did we have in those playoff games with him?

Why do you have to bring up one game about Alex to prove something? I can do that with Jimmy in both playoffs games? Threw the ball 27xs in two games. We can cherry picks stats all day man.

My point is bringing up winning % is dumb. I can point to a ton of QBs that won games, but we can all agree they aren't special players.

The 5 wins he had here in 2017 we all know about. Say what you will about sample size those were super impressive and the impact he had on the whole roster was crazy...which is why he got the contract he got.

Some QBs just seem to win more often than not. Jimmy has done that. Will he continue to do that? We'll see but in a sport where wins are so important due to lack of games, best of X series in the playoffs...you don't replace a guy who somehow keeps getting you a W at the end of the game.

I don't care about 2017 anymore and I don't know why people still hold onto that? Yes it was a great little stretch of wins and he looked good. You can't tell me he's played like that overall since then. Wins are wins BUT IMO they've mostly been TEAM wins, not won on the back of our QB. I just want to see more out of our QB...I have no idea why that's such a bad thing in here? He's being paid enough that's for sure.

And lastly to finish up how silly your Alex Smith comparison was...Alex's win % with us was 51%. With the KC wins he's at 58%

Flacco with the Ravens was at 58%
Dalton with Cinci was at 53%

I'm sure as Jimmy plays more his numbers will level out a bit. I mean this season alone is a perfect example with all the injuries. We're 4-3 but really could be undefeated if injuries aren't a fact. Hell even with the injuries we really should be 6-1 if we have a couple of plays go differently.

But UNTIL those numbers level off replacing him is a slippery slope. And you better be sure you have a Mahomes type QB waiting in the wings.

Yes maybe we shouldn't even compare him until he starts in at least 100 games? The sample sizes aren't close to the same. OR I guess we can say Jimmy is better than Joe Montana who won 69% of his football games I guess he's the greatest QB of all time because the best winning % was Bradshaw at 73%. I know you said winning % is blanket statement, that's why I was responding to THAT post.

Also the reason I've brought up Alex Smith, is because they're in similar situations and IMO are similar talents (I do think Jimmy is better overall). They're good QBs that can win you a bunch of games in the context of their scheme. Neither have a bunch of elite attributes, athletically very similar (actually think Alex was more athletic in his prime). Arm talent is good not great. They aren't vertical passing QBs. Both have dealt with injures etc.

I just don't see the upside of him like others do...it doesn't mean I hate him as a player or don't think we can win with him. I do think his overall ability holds back Kyle's scheme to a point. I have no idea why that equals "reaching" if you don't agree, that's fine.

I've also stated I think they should restructure him, therefor keeping in SF thru 2022. I think they should draft a QB to develop behind Jimmy and trade him once that rookie QB is ready to go...similar to the Alex Smith situation ( a couple times). That doesn't equal me s**tting on our current QB, but if you don't have an elite QB or an up an coming rookie QB (on a rookie paycheck) then you SHOULD always be looking for one.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Ok.....this is why I get perturbed.

I'll try not to be defensive here, but my life and reason for doing film breakdowns does not revolve around defending any players from criticism, and yes, that includes Jimmy G.

People assume I'm biased because my arguments don't align with theirs. Rich Madrid agrees with others that don't support Jimmy and so he gets touted as their, "expert". I have never claimed to be an expert, I share what I see.

When it comes to weekly reviews, im going over the story of the game. How and why did the game end the way it did, a 33-6 blowout. I'm not going to waste my time and time away from my family arguing or blaming a qb kn plays that don't affect the outcome of the game. End of story.

I spent 9 hours yesterday putting that review video together, excuse me for not spending more time on one of my days off breaking down an INT that had very little effect on the game. If you want to read that into, "conspicuously missing" then screw you and have a nice day.

The story of the game was how Kyle blew out Bill B to the worst margin as HC of the Pats, which was why we did what we did. Why anyone complains about handing BB his worst home loss in over 20 years is beyond me.

Hear hear JD. I agree. Jimmy is a very good qb but he's not great. Hopefully with better pass protection and wrs that are consistent in separating and reliable he will ascend closer to top 5 status
I think his post had some valid points to it but it was overblown.

The guys we have here are very talented. The thing is at least right now they're not on the level of Hopkins or Jones. Aiyuk looks promising but he's a rookie which was part of his point...the inexperience.

Inexperience doesn't mean someone sucks but it can show up on the field and throw things off and make things look quite ugly. There have been numerous times where people bash Jimmy or another player for an ugly looking play only to find out from the coach later that there was a mental error, wrong route ran or something along those lines...mistakes typically seen from younger players or guys who haven't worked together long enough to pick up each other's queues.

Deebo and Aiyuk were both out vs Arizona - a game you and others have called a terrible performance by Jimmy. Kittle was also limited most of that game due to injury(please don't stoop to blaming Jimmy for the injury like others have done)

Are these excuses or factual statements?

If we're praising all these guys we have then shouldn't we acknowledge that when they're not out there offensive production will suffer?

Our OL gave up 48 QB hits in the first 5 games of this season. Since the playcalling was adjusted to these quick hitters last two games they've given up 5.

Getting the ball out early wasn't a change to only help Jimmy. It was to help the offense and the OL as well.

And last thing I'll say is that while our guys IMO are super talented outside of Aiyuk they're not guys to stretch the field. So whether it's you or others who are looking for these big plays down the field and get hung up on lack of air yards. Just remember that our guys are all YAC monsters. Why not get them the ball quick and watch them work? It helps our QB, it helps our OL and it's helped us win games.

Until air yards count more than YAC yards...I couldn't give 2 sh*ts about how many we have as long as we're winning games.

The posters I was talking about are the ones overblowing it...making excuse after excuse for our QB and taking away from another QBs success. Can't be objective about our QB and what he is. Good not great.

Also who gives a s**t about Jones and Nuk? How many SB's have they won? In reality how many current superstar WRs have won SBs? Name me all the super star WRs Brady had? When Wilson won his SB? Baltimore? Giants? etc etc.

Again GREAT QBs make players around them better, I get you need talent to play well...no one is doubt that BUT when your complaint is we don't have Nuk or Julio? come on now.

As far as AZ goes, Jimmy played bad. It's not like our WRs couldn't get open or dropped a ton of balls. Sure Deebo would have helped. Jimmy could have won the game if he would have made a better pass to Bourne IMO.

It's not all about air yards vs YAC yards...it's the fact that they're basically removing on area of the whole field. You think Kyle wants to do that? Also if it's all about YAC then it's not really about the QB now is it? Do we need to pay a QB $28M to throw near the LOS and watch all our play-makers make dudes miss and run guys over? IMO that's the opposite of saying we don't have playmakers.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Hear hear JD. I agree. Jimmy is a very good qb but he's not great. Hopefully with better pass protection and wrs that are consistent in separating and reliable he will ascend closer to top 5 status

I tend to agree. Excluding all other factors, Jimmy alone by himself seems like a good QB, but not necessarily great. However, I do think there's reason to believe that he would play like a Top 10 QB if he had an All-Star offensive supporting cast around him. Our WRs are nowhere near top of the league, nor is our PP. I'd prefer to upgrade the latter FIRST, but both need to be addressed for the offense to take it to the next level with Jimmy still being the QB.

I do favor us still looking for another QB to groom. I don't ever want to be in a position where our season is shot because of a QB injury.
We're seeing glimpses of greatness. He has a very strong will to win.

To me, a great QB regularly brings his team from behind and wins the big games. We need a larger body of work.

Its there for him.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I tend to agree. Excluding all other factors, Jimmy alone by himself seems like a good QB, but not necessarily great. However, I do think there's reason to believe that he would play like a Top 10 QB if he had an All-Star offensive supporting cast around him. Our WRs are nowhere near top of the league, nor is our PP. I'd prefer to upgrade the latter FIRST, but both need to be addressed for the offense to take it to the next level with Jimmy still being the QB.

I do favor us still looking for another QB to groom. I don't ever want to be in a position where our season is shot because of a QB injury.

The fact that you think Jimmy needs an all-star offensive supporting personnel is exactly why I don't think he's a great QB...he's fine for now. They should try to develop a young QB with upside behind him

Originally posted by elguapo:

yep. continue to build around Jimmy, draft another QB just to stay on top of that evaluation process and ahead of the game. and if we get lucky, Jimmy flourishes and then we still have a guy sitting behind him learning. or, scenario #2 and it becomes justified to move on from Jimmy for some reason down the line, then hopefully the guy that had been waiting in the wings pans out.

The fact that you think Jimmy needs an all-star offensive supporting personnel is exactly why I don't think he's a great QB...he's fine for now. They should try to develop a young QB with upside behind him

just because he's still the starting QB doesn't mean we can't stop adding pieces and players around him to help him and the entire offense continue to take it up another notch. Shanahan and the coaches aren't going to stop adding play-makers to help the offense just because he's "fine" for now.
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Dude just stop already..

Julio... let's just talk Julio ok..

Look what sanders, an experienced veteran did for jimmy and the offense last year.

Ryan had/has Julio.. no comparison right there to who jimmy EVER has had.

Ryan didn't come off an ACL.. Ryan's o-line player together more that year then any of our o-lines since Jimmy was here. f**k, Ryan played how many games BEFORE getting Kyle.. jimmy didn't.

Ryan's starting center seemed like a constant for the year also!!

Julio would bail most qb's out of a lot of throws. It can not be understated what. True top wide receiver does for an offense.
Look at Murray with Hopkins now.. that his constant go to because he knows Hopkins will catch it..

Another thing that can't be understated is the number of games jimmy has played. Still hasn't been a lot.

And all you saying "Jimmys got More playmakers then any other team!"

GTFOH!!

This year, how many games has Deebo (to even claim he's a #1.. come on) kittle, (a f**king rookie) & mostert been in??
f**k, how many HEALTHY SNAPS??!!

Murray's got HOPKINS, Isabella, Kirk, & Fitzgerald... it's not even fair.
How many games has Hopkins who is the best receiver in the nfl & Fitz missed this year!!??

And Should we start talking about the O-line and what a f**king revolving door that's been since Jimmy walked through the door?

QUICK SOMEONE NAME ALL THE STARTING CENTERS JIMMY'S HAD PLAYING FOR THE 49'ERS!!

What a f**king joke.. haven't been able to solidify the CENTER POSITION due to injuries & whatever, & blame jimmy for not stepping into his f**king throws! Lol

What a f**king clown show in here.

Wahhh that's all I here in this comment...poor Jimmy he has a horrible team around him. Wahhh Julio Jones, Julio Jones blah blah blah.

Jesus dude SF has one of the best rosters in football! They have one of the best defenses in football and best running games in football the past yr in a half. All-pro TE. Two WRs drafted in the top 36. And offensive line made up of 4 lineman drafted in the top 50. You don't think Matt Ryan didn't deal with players getting injured ever?

Poor Jimmy how does he do it? He doesn't have an all-star center...

Only clown show in here are the people that makeup excuse after excuse for a player and can't look at ANY player objectively apparently. People that hate on Jimmy are just as bad...the fact that you can't accept that Matt Ryan is just a better QB, shows that you can't be objective on this topic.

Also saying Ryan is better doesn't mean Jimmy blows either...ryan is a MVP, 4x pro-bowler, all-pro, offensive player of the yr, offensive rookie of the yr etc...no reason to hate on a good player just cause.

Quit the BS. This is a good god damn team. Yes Jimmy is part of that, but stop acting like he's playing with the 2015 SF personnel.

Shanahan lost a SB with both.

There have been a lot of injuries to this team. Their best back is our, rheir best wide receiver missed games, tthenall world TE missed gan
Mws, JG was hurt.

The OL has some bad first rd picks on it.

Shanahan picked Beathard over Mahomes and Watson. Jimmy G is the guy Kyle is building around. Next coach can draft a guy.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Dude just stop already..

Julio... let's just talk Julio ok..

Look what sanders, an experienced veteran did for jimmy and the offense last year.

Ryan had/has Julio.. no comparison right there to who jimmy EVER has had.

Ryan didn't come off an ACL.. Ryan's o-line player together more that year then any of our o-lines since Jimmy was here. f**k, Ryan played how many games BEFORE getting Kyle.. jimmy didn't.

Ryan's starting center seemed like a constant for the year also!!

Julio would bail most qb's out of a lot of throws. It can not be understated what. True top wide receiver does for an offense.
Look at Murray with Hopkins now.. that his constant go to because he knows Hopkins will catch it..

Another thing that can't be understated is the number of games jimmy has played. Still hasn't been a lot.

And all you saying "Jimmys got More playmakers then any other team!"

GTFOH!!

This year, how many games has Deebo (to even claim he's a #1.. come on) kittle, (a f**king rookie) & mostert been in??
f**k, how many HEALTHY SNAPS??!!

Murray's got HOPKINS, Isabella, Kirk, & Fitzgerald... it's not even fair.
How many games has Hopkins who is the best receiver in the nfl & Fitz missed this year!!??

And Should we start talking about the O-line and what a f**king revolving door that's been since Jimmy walked through the door?

QUICK SOMEONE NAME ALL THE STARTING CENTERS JIMMY'S HAD PLAYING FOR THE 49'ERS!!

What a f**king joke.. haven't been able to solidify the CENTER POSITION due to injuries & whatever, & blame jimmy for not stepping into his f**king throws! Lol

What a f**king clown show in here.

Wahhh that's all I here in this comment...poor Jimmy he has a horrible team around him. Wahhh Julio Jones, Julio Jones blah blah blah.

Jesus dude SF has one of the best rosters in football! They have one of the best defenses in football and best running games in football the past yr in a half. All-pro TE. Two WRs drafted in the top 36. And offensive line made up of 4 lineman drafted in the top 50. You don't think Matt Ryan didn't deal with players getting injured ever?

Poor Jimmy how does he do it? He doesn't have an all-star center...

Only clown show in here are the people that makeup excuse after excuse for a player and can't look at ANY player objectively apparently. People that hate on Jimmy are just as bad...the fact that you can't accept that Matt Ryan is just a better QB, shows that you can't be objective on this topic.

Also saying Ryan is better doesn't mean Jimmy blows either...ryan is a MVP, 4x pro-bowler, all-pro, offensive player of the yr, offensive rookie of the yr etc...no reason to hate on a good player just cause.

Quit the BS. This is a good god damn team. Yes Jimmy is part of that, but stop acting like he's playing with the 2015 SF personnel.

Shanahan lost a SB with both.

There have been a lot of injuries to this team. Their best back is our, rheir best wide receiver missed games, tthenall world TE missed gan
Mws, JG was hurt.

The OL has some bad first rd picks on it.

Shanahan picked Beathard over Mahomes and Watson. Jimmy G is the guy Kyle is building around. Next coach can draft a guy.

just because he's still the starting QB doesn't mean we can't stop adding pieces and players around him to help him and the entire offense continue to take it up another notch. Shanahan and the coaches aren't going to stop adding play-makers to help the offense just because he's "fine" for now.

I never said stop doing that...I'm saying it's not a reason to why Jimmy isn't a great QB right now. Also if OTC thinks Jimmy needs a all-star cast around him to be a top 10 QB how does that make him a great QB? It's the same BS excuse I'm hear in here about Matt Ryan, he's only good because of all the talent around him.
Share 49ersWebzone