LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 436 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Goatie:
Brady, Young, Montana, Mahomes have all had close to 13 pick years. So that is not a very good point either

What are you talking about? Are any of those qb's comparable to Alex Smith? Patrick had 50 td's to 12 picks. I guess that's an Alex Smith to you.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 22, 2020 at 12:14 AM ]
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
My issue is that this is not how Jimmy played in the playoffs or even the Superbowl. Jimmy was playing Alex Smith ball. And ultimately, that is one of the major reasons we lost.

Even though it sucks it happened when it did, I just sincerely hope that the SB was just a bad game for Jimmy. I cant stand Alex Smith ball. You need everything else to go perfect to win playoff games when you play that way.

You need everything else to go perfect to win any game when you play Alex Smith ball, but no matter how good the team is, things just don't go perfect against top teams. Especially in the playoffs.

That is so true.

SteveWallacesHelmet, just no. Jimmy G was not playing Alex Smith ball. He was 18 of 22 until the last 7 minutes and then KC defense stepped up big time. Unlike Alex Smith Jimmy was taking risks but they did not work out because of a number of things like our O Line was not keeping rushers out. Our replacement centre was a big part of this letting linebackers threw the A gap. Or Jones batting two passes down and getting a hand to another.

It was clever Coaching by KC to get their defense and offense to step it up the way they did in the final minutes.

Can you point to the plays where Jimmy was taking a risk but it didnt work out? Very, very curious to hear that.

The pass to Sanders that was over thrown 2 yards

The pass to Bourne that was intercepted by an excellent play by the KC safety in the final minutes.

You will note there were 2 excellent passes to Bourne in the final 10 minutes.

He was taking risks trying to get over the KC DL and Jones batted it down twice and got a hand to it at least one other time.

He was taking risks trying to hold it a bit longer till someone got open but got smashed because linebackers were getting through our oline and smashing him before he could launch one clean to the target.

I personally dont see how throwing a ball to a receiver who was yards past the defense is taking a risk. I get that some people do, but that's not a risk to me. But just for fun, I will give you this one.

Then your next examples are

-a desperation time throw down field
-passes that travel over the DL (sorry but LOL)
-holding the ball a little too long

If those are the 4 things you bring up when I ask you to cite examples of Jimmy taking risks but it not working out, and that is what you come up with, I think its pretty safe to say Jimmy wasnt taking risks in the Superbowl. Lol.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Feb 21, 2020 at 11:38 PM ]
I personally dont see how throwing a ball to a receiver who was yards past the defense is taking a risk. I get that some people do, but that's not a risk to me. But just for fun, I will give you this one.

Then your next examples are

-a desperation time throw down field
-passes that travel over the DL (sorry but LOL)
-holding the ball a little too long

If those are the 4 things you bring up when I ask you to cite examples of Jimmy taking risks but it not working out, and that is what you come up with, I think its pretty safe to say Jimmy wasnt taking risks in the Superbowl. Lol.

His 1st pick was a risk. If that's Alex he likely takes a sack or maybe tosses it away but Jimmy knew he had a winnable moment and tossed it up after shedding Jones. Unfortunately the lb got to him as he was throwing and he tossed up an easy pick.

But the failed pass to Sanders is the biggest non Alex play ever. Sanders was actually doubled covered from the start. If that's Alex he's not waiting to see if he'd break open he's checking down to Bourne who was open. KC was playing aggressive on the previous plays though so it's worth the gamble and it did break open. He just missed the pass.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 22, 2020 at 12:12 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
You guys need to lay off my boy Jimmy G.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

These guys in reality are probably Seahawk fans or Rams fans or whatever. I doubt they really are 49er supporters
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

These guys in reality are probably Seahawk fans or Rams fans or whatever. I doubt they really are 49er supporters

Yeah, I know.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Lol stats that posters themselves dont understand are so easy to pick apart. Back to those in a sec but 1st off....

Did you watch the same games we watched? He was great on busted coverages in the middle of the field. Do you have any stats for passes deep down the field outside the hashes?

Let's isolate THAT area. How often did we even test the field out over there with our WRs once you take Kittle's designed plays out?

You know what that does, right? It condenses the field for the defense,...something DBs and Safeties LOVE....which is going to be a problem sooner or later if the guy cant scramble or avoid negative plays consistently when the pressure comes.

Do you really deny that this was the case all season? If you dont test problem areas per your coaches masterful design,...and nearly all of your deep throws are on designs to Kittle or WRs streaking open down the middle of the field...OF COURSE YOUR ACCURACY IS GOING TO JUMP UP with alot fewer attempts, and with a coach that smartly plays to what you are good at.

I dont need a list sorted to look cute, yet doesnt address the areas we clearly see are lacking.

Me personally? I want that 51.85% to have a LOWER accuracy % and more attempts in 2020 (and completions if it's possible) especially down and outside by the boundaries. It stretches the field. Complete or thrown out of bounds (but I'll admit,...I dont know if he has the arm strength to?),...it makes the defense work harder. What concept of football are you guys missing here?

Now to pick apart this silly list posted on a whim:

1) that cute percentage is accounting for 14 accurate completions,...lol. 14!! That's less than 1 per game and is tied with Sam Darnold (missed 3 games),...and ahead of Casey Keenum, Jacoby Brissett, Drew Brees, Ryan Tannehill, Mason Rudolph, Kyle Allen, Joe Flacco.

2) In fact,...the only guy on this list of 32 with 14 or less completions that didn't miss (multiple) starts is..... Jimmy G.

This list doesn't highlight Jimmy,...it calls him and our offense out!

Per this list, Jimmy was among the worst in the league at completing passes deep down the field,..and this is even mixing in the middle of the field. It simply wasn't a part of our game (something I've been saying for pages)

3) He has 27 attempts on that list,...far and away less total and less per game than any other starter. Only Casey Keenum begins to get close and he was benched. (Weak-armed Russ has 77, Watson had 80, Lashawn had 47,... Mahomes missed time and had 61, etc.)

The thing is,...you just have to know what you are really looking at when you post a bunch of numbers as proof.

And on Jimmy,... I like him! Give him Shanahan and outside of Kap he's our best QB since Steve Young IMO,...(I was never really a Garcia fan).

With a great team around him and a great coach, he at least gives you a chance. But I'm not gonna sit here and act like the way our field is shrunken on offense will not hurt us come playoff time,...nor am I going to pretend like he's an elite QB.

The book is out on our guy. We need marked improvement or a better solution if we want another trophy.
[ Edited by random49er on Feb 22, 2020 at 6:48 AM ]
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Pass D was 13th and a cocks length from 8th @ 4.8 yards since the passing D is kinda the one that matters when Jimmy G is passing, no?
And like I said, pass D went to 3rd or 4th the final games including playoffs.. that's a damn good pass D.. you know, to counter when we pass.

You can't ignore the run d which they're terrible at. They were average overall and we had a top ranked o. You got to expect to win that battle. They have to spend additional resources to stop our #2 rushing attack.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 22, 2020 at 6:37 AM ]
My issue is that this is not how Jimmy played in the playoffs or even the Superbowl. Jimmy was playing Alex Smith ball. And ultimately, that is one of the major reasons we lost.

Even though it sucks it happened when it did, I just sincerely hope that the SB was just a bad game for Jimmy. I cant stand Alex Smith ball. You need everything else to go perfect to win playoff games when you play that way.

Totally disagree he was playing "Alex Smith" ball. Jimmy is always trying to sling it into tight windows. It's a WCO and that's all about timing. It's not about bombing it 40 yards downfield. He simply missed reads later in the game.

Also for anyone saying he can't throw it deep...

10th in the league in deep balls. That numbers jumps wayyyy down when under pressure. There's a ton of reasons for that...Only natural to think he's still coming back from that ACL and having 300lbs dudes falling around your legs will make you second guess stuff. Another is our IOL just needs to PP better. Third is some of these guys with high deep ball completions are scramblers.
Originally posted by random49er:
Lol stats that posters themselves dont understand are so easy to pick apart. Back to those in a sec but 1st off....

Did you watch the same games we watched? He was great on busted coverages in the middle of the field. Do you have any stats for passes deep down the field outside the hashes?

Let's isolate THAT area. How often did we even test the field out over there with our WRs once you take Kittle's designed plays out?

You know what that does, right? It condenses the field for the defense,...something DBs and Safeties LOVE....which is going to be a problem sooner or later if the guy cant scramble or avoid negative plays consistently when the pressure comes.

Do you really deny that this was the case all season? If you dont test problem areas per your coaches masterful design,...and nearly all of your deep throws are on designs to Kittle or WRs streaking open down the middle of the field...OF COURSE YOUR ACCURACY IS GOING TO JUMP UP with alot fewer attempts, and with a coach that smartly plays to what you are good at.

I dont need a list sorted to look cute, yet doesnt address the areas we clearly see are lacking.

Me personally? I want that 51.85% to have a LOWER accuracy % and more attempts in 2020 (and completions if it's possible) especially down and outside by the boundaries. It stretches the field. Complete or thrown out of bounds (but I'll admit,...I dont know if he has the arm strength to?),...it makes the defense work harder. What concept of football are you guys missing here?

1) that cute percentage is accounting for 14 accurate completions,...lol. 14!! That's less than 1 per game and is tied with Sam Darnold (missed 3 games),...and ahead of Casey Keenum, Jacoby Brissett, Drew Brees, Ryan Tannehill, Mason Rudolph, Kyle Allen, Joe Flacco.

2) In fact,...the only guy on this list of 32 with 14 or less completions that didn't miss (multiple) starts is..... Jimmy G. This list doesnt highlight Jimmy,...it calls him out. He was among the worst in the league at completing passes deep down the field,..and this is even mixing in the middle of the field.

3) He has 27 attempts on that list,...far and away less total and less per game than any other starter. Only Casey Keenum begins to get close and he was benched.

The thing is,...you just have to know what you are really looking at when you post.

And on Jimmy,... I like him! Give him Shanahan and outside of Kap he's our best QB since Steve Young IMO,...(I was never really a Garcia fan).

With a great team around him and a great coach, he at least gives you a chance. But I'm not gonna sit here and act like the way our field is shrunken on offense will not hurt us come playoff time,...nor am I going to pretend like he's an elite QB.

The book is out on our guy. We need marked improvement or a better solution if we want another trophy.

The team will get more vertical once we acquire more speed. I wouldn't expect us to be like KC but we should be better at it down the road. Goodwin has got to go. He's suppose to be the deep guy but has been mia.
Most want us to get a Hamler or Reagor this season so I think that's something we all pretty much agree on.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 22, 2020 at 6:45 AM ]

10th in the league in deep balls.

Lol no....last among starters as I outlined with your own chart above. You can click another downfield Comp% on that same list and he is 1st in the league with 63%,...lol. I beg of you guys,...please learn about the stats you make arguments with.

You can like a player and not try to raise his stock with falsehoods at the same time. Let's stop the politics and speak the truth.
[ Edited by random49er on Feb 22, 2020 at 6:58 AM ]

2) In fact,...the only guy on this list of 32 with 14 or less completions that didn't miss (multiple) starts is..... Jimmy G. This list doesnt highlight Jimmy,...it calls him out. He was among the worst in the league at completing passes deep down the field,..and this is even mixing in the middle of the field.

3) He has 27 attempts on that list,...far and away less total and less per game than any other starter. Only Casey Keenum begins to get close and he was benched.

The thing is,...you just have to know what you are really looking at when you post.

Oh look! he's back to throw out his subjective comments and try to act like he's smarter than everyone in here HA. You should do yourself a favor and say IMO after your comments.

Still waiting for my Bosa apology from you....

When asked to throw it deep he completed a good % of his passes. Plain and simple. Why don't you ask kyle why they didn't throw outside the numbers more? Go ask him why they didn't throw the ball deep more? I don't have an answer for that and neither do you.

Our best receiver for most of the season was Kittle. Guess where most of his routes are run??? They had no true deep threat for a good portion of the yr and had backup OTs playing for a while. All that s**t plays a part in how you can scheme. Who cares about "designed plays"? Last I saw that's the f**king job of our HC/OC to DESIGN plays to beat a coverage.

Jimmy's real issue with deep passing was when he was under pressure (like the article stated). There are multiple reasons for that. I'm also not saying he's some deep threat passing monster. I'm saying he CAN make those throws.
Lol no....last among starters as I outlined with your own chart above. You can click another downfield Comp% on that same list and he is 1st in the league with 63%,...lol. I beg of you guys,...please learn about the stats you make arguments with.

You can like a player and not try to raise his stock with falsehoods at the same time. Let's stop the politics and speak the truth.

Article has him ranked 10th overall don't know what to tell ya. I've been critical of Jimmy G plenty in here, especially after the meltdown in the late second half of the SB.
Congrats NY,....you are the only person in the world that would've guessed the top ranked NFL Draft Prospect all of his last college season -- even while injured -- would have a good 1st year. Lol. Great find with this unknown Bosa kid. Now that we are out of Fantasy Land....

When asked to throw it deep he completed a good % of his passes.

14 completions??? Do you really think those 14 completions in the offense we have over the course of 16 games really mean that much in terms of who the best deep ball passers are in the NFL?

I picked apart that silly thing with facts. Why are you not replying with facts?

I clearly outlined to you that he was last on the list -- easily -- with testing downfield and only competed with the likes of Casey Keenum. This requires maybe getting a calculator and actually looking at the list yourself -- something you clearly don't want to do. This list also clearly and purposely includes only the top passer from each team. It is limited to 1 per team. Again,...not a ranking,...an adjusted list that was clicked and sorted a certain way.

Keenum is a guy Washington gave up on and helped get a coach fired midseason. Is that really the standard we want to compare to?

Can you be honest with yourself for a second? Or will you just disappear in the dust of yet another nonsensical conclusion you came to due to a guy completing 14 accurate balls all year???

Even if Jimmy is the best downfield passer in the league,...anyone that has a reading ability of a 7th grader can see you lost this one the instant I replied,...because the stat you tried to use is absolute crap and argues AGAINST Jimmy's downfield passing prowess.

You already lost,...but just as with anything else,...it's too painful for you to man up and admit.

You will come on here months later again asking for an apology for a stupid point made from a chart you clearly did not understand.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have nothing but respect for Kyle. Masterful job working with what he had and masking a deficiency the poster above somehow concludes is one of our strengths. If we want to hoist a Lombardi anytime soon -- however -- piss-poor stats like NY just posted need to raise us from last among the bottom-feeding QBs in the league.
[ Edited by random49er on Feb 22, 2020 at 7:27 AM ]
Article has him ranked 10th overall don't know what to tell ya. I've been critical of Jimmy G plenty in here, especially after the meltdown in the late second half of the SB.

I think you both have valid points on this one. You know who else had a really good deep ball % even here. Alex Smith. It does helps when you only throw it once a game. But once KC acquired Hill and stressed it to him Alex did pretty good pushing it down the field. Not Mahomes good but he'll never be that. I don't think we have the personnel for Jimmy to be chucking it deep a bunch without forcing it and being inefficient at it. If we get a Reagor/ Hamler and it's still a problem.
Share 49ersWebzone