Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Whatever shortcomings you think Mullens has, the thing he has over all the young more talented qb, is his ability to quickly read and recognized under center. That's why when you watch the more talented ones play the game, you still think... I'd rather have Mullens.

For the guy to showed up in his 2nd year with no one to 'mentor', close to teaching himself the offense, that's incredible no matter how you shake it.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Nope, just don't agree. Last yr, sure. Year before, sure. Now, when we are starting to show some potential for contending....nope. When you are lucky enough to have a guy like Mullie, he is there for when JG gets a high ankle sprain, or sore ribs. Something like that. This is exactly the kind of time one does not make a trade for Mullie.

Now CJ? Excellent time to give him some PT against Pitts. Esp with Ben and bad R elbow. Big guy, big gun, strong as a bull....no, not Ben, but CJ. But trading Mullie for a #1? No way I would do that..He is like fire insurance. If the house burns down you still get along. That's Mullie.

Personally, if Kyle had a number 1 pick (because he traded Mullens) Kyle could pick a top of the line QB in the 2020 draft *or* trade down that pick for multiple picks and *still* get a good backup QB, maybe in the 3rd or 4rth round-ish. In other words, to me, you can possibly get a future Steve YOung for that number 1 pick, or you can get another potential BeatHard or Mullens in the 4th round. Plus more picks for OLine, defense, and possibly other positions like WR and DB.

So yes, you lose Mullen's services, but a first round pick will get you a ton of draft capital that will more than offset the value of losing a good quality backup QB. If you play the odds, what is the odds of Jimmy getting another season ending ACL or Knee? For those that think it's a high percentage - you will keep Mullens, for me - I think it was a freak occurrence and I think it would be very unlikely for Jimmy to suffer another freak injury like that - I'd trade Mullens for a number 1 pick. Easily.

Jimmy doesn't have to have an ACL to miss three or four games, and if you lose them all, you miss the chance to go to the playoffs, and a shot at a Lombardi. We play to win the Lombardi's,

Drafting QB's is not a sure thing. It is very much a crap shoot.

Kyle, the quarterback guru, still has to have a qb with the mental aptitude to work with. See Beathard. And a quick mind to play in the NFL is the one thing you can not determine from collegiate experience.

We have yet to find Mullen's ceiling. You just do not know how good he can be. He might Be your Steve Young. Steve Young we traded In, not Out, and he had been a failure in Tampa.

You do not build winners in the NFL by getting rid of your good players with great attitudes. The whole idea is to do the opposite.

You also don't build winners in the NFL by having 1st round talent on the bench (assuming we could get a 1st rounder for Mullens).

Bill and Joe and Steve don't agree with you.

Bill and Joe and Steve didn't have a salary cap.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crown:
You also don't build winners in the NFL by having 1st round talent on the bench (assuming we could get a 1st rounder for Mullens).

Mullen's is not worth anywhere near a 1st.

4th at best.

I agree. I was just responding to a conversation where it appeared that was the debate. If a 4th is all we can get then we should keep him.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
DARN IT... had both Lynch and Shanny listed to my idea of drafting Minshew in the 5th round, then we would have had a legitimate backup and a future starter!!!
lol just found out a good friend of mine (who is still new to football) drafted Mullens cause he thought he was the starter

4th at best.

I agree. I was just responding to a conversation where it appeared that was the debate. If a 4th is all we can get then we should keep him.

Ha! That was Your hypothetical.

And Mullens is not a first rounder on his second contract being a drag on the salary cap. What, he makes like $800k?

And after all of that (trolling?), we agree. We should keep hm.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

4th at best.

Ha! That was Your hypothetical.

And Mullens is not a first rounder on his second contract being a drag on the salary cap. What, he makes like $800k?

And after all of that (trolling?), we agree. We should keep hm.

It was Giedi's hypothetical that you responded to, saying we should keep him.

To settle it, if a team offered a 1st round pick for Mullens, would you take it?
It was Giedi's hypothetical that you responded to, saying we should keep him.

To settle it, if a team offered a 1st round pick for Mullens, would you take it?

I think he's a back up quarterback that Will keep winning games for us if called upon, and get us into the playoffs, where as without him, any nick to Jimmy, and we're done.

No I wouldn't.

Getting back to reality, we can't get a first, but if we keep him, and he will eventually play, he may well appreciate to that. So when we Do need to pay him, That's the time to trade him. In the meantime, he's very valuable insurance on the unlikely eventuality of Jimmy failing us on health or performance. If you think he could ever be worth a first, you also think he can be a very good starter.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

4th at best.

Got you.

Would be interesting to know what the team was asking for him.
Got you.

Would be interesting to know what the team was asking for him.

Imo. We were asking a 4th fot CJ, and Mullens was not on the table, but they didn't want to say that because they were still keeping the competition alive. Had there been an injury, this would have been wise.
If they where asking for a 4th they are delusional he has shown nothing to warrant that.
He has flaws in his game that can't simply be ignored.

Originally posted by Oilcan:
If they where asking for a 4th they are delusional he has shown nothing to warrant that.

I agree. They said a mid round pick, but didn't get it.

They asked for more than he's worth because they probably didn't really want to trade him away.

That said, if a team is willing to give up a 5th for Kaari Vedvik, Mullens is definitely worth a 4th.

*edit*

My bad, I thought you were referring to Mullens and not CJ. But even then the point stands. No one is giving us a 4th for CJ, so if that's what they asked for, then they didn't want to trade him.
[ Edited by KittleSkittle on Sep 19, 2019 at 11:10 PM ]
Originally posted by KittleSkittle:

They asked for more than he's worth because they probably didn't really want to trade him away.

That said, if a team is willing to give up a 5th for Kaari Vedvik, Mullens is definitely worth a 4th.

I was referring to CJ for a fourth. I agree. If they'd have offered Mullens for a fourth, he'd be gone.
So many vastly underestimate the value of the backup QB. There are few people in the world capable of competantely running an NFL offense. Nick has a qb rating of 91, which is above average and he's still a youngin'.
Honestly, I'm not sure I'd even get rid of him for a 3rd and I value draft picks. We aren't far from contending and I don't want to be one Jimmy injury away from bombing.
Share 49ersWebzone