There are 263 users in the forums

Ahkello Witherspoon, CB

Shop 49ers game tickets
So Rashard is gonna be on KB week 1, I wonder who takes Funchess... DJ or Spoon.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
So Rashard is gonna be on KB week 1, I wonder who takes Funchess... DJ or Spoon.

Funchess is average, maybe slightly above average on at best. I live in Charlotte NC and watch all their games.We really should worry about the rookies McCaffery and Samuel. They should be more effective from day 1.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Here's to Witherspoon grabbing a starting spot this season.
Originally posted by mayo49:

I think he'll take Funchess when matching up.

Originally posted by DJamhour:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Funchess is average, maybe slightly above average on at best. I live in Charlotte NC and watch all their games.We really should worry about the rookies McCaffery and Samuel. They should be more effective from day 1.

Redmond/Williams will handle the slots if they're out there. If they're flexing out McAff in base package then I'd give Jimmy that responsibility and Reid would play CF.
Originally posted by mayo49:

I really want Dontae Johnson to find his potential this season. Everytime he gets an opportunity, he seems to flash well but always seems to be at the bottom of the depth chart. I don't know if he has that gamer syndrome where he's just a natural "gamer' and struggle​s to replicate it in practice or what, but I like him​.
Panthers are going to be a tough matchup with all their offensive weapons. Our defense will have their work cut out for them. Carolina's starters on offense:

QB: Newton
WR: Benjamin, Funchess, Samuel
RB: Stewart, McCaffrey
TE: Olsen

I hope Hoyer is to the point in his career where he just knows how to play the game and can seamlessly execute at a high level.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Panthers are going to be a tough matchup with all their offensive weapons. Our defense will have their work cut out for them. Carolina's starters on offense:

I hope Hoyer is to the point in his career where he just knows how to play the game and can seamlessly execute at a high level.

It'll be week 1 so I don't expect any team without Tom Brady on it to dominate another team to start the season. As they build chemistry I'm sure they'll be better, but until then, it's a waiting game.
Originally posted by martysofresh:

It'll be week 1 so I don't expect any team without Tom Brady on it to dominate another team to start the season. As they build chemistry I'm sure they'll be better, but until then, it's a waiting game.

True, and it's also nice we have a lot of things we simply didn't last year: Two legitimate runners behind Hyde, legitimate arsenal of speed at WR and TE, and an OL with likely no rookies starting. If anything, Shanahan knows how to attack Carolina (see Julio Jones 300+ yards against them last year). If he finds a weakness, we'll exploit it all day.
Originally posted by thl408:
His highlights can be seen anywhere, but here he is showing his weakness, and most likely the reason he was there in the 3rd round despite his very impressive coverage skills.

1v1 and won't wrap up.

------
WRs will almost always prefer to block a safety instead of a CB because safeties are better tacklers. The CB has to make the play when unblocked. Dive and hope.

------
Patience. As a force defender that arrives early, stand your ground and let the play come, then force the run inside.

Spoon rushes upfield and takes himself out.

-------
I don't know what this is. He shows the patience unlike the play above. If it's a big OL/TE, then cut them while attacking the outside to turn the run inside.

--------
Dive and hope works, sometimes. This is on Joe Williams.

Can't teach the length and athleticism that Witherspoon possesses. It's easy to see why he was targeted. It's also easy to see why he wasn't graded higher despite his coverage skills. Between Witherpoon and RRobinson, it might come down to the better zone defender winning the LCB spot, and the other one will take RCB. Both have had questions surrounding their run defense. A big part of being a good zone defender is tackling. The Cover3 scheme that Saleh uses has a 'bend don't break' philosophy. Giving up a catch is bending, missing a tackle that leads to RAC is breaking.

Appreciate your breakdown as always

Not scared...I think Carolina pulled a 2012 Baalke to add speed but it won't do ish and that system. We were in it last year in the 4th quarter at one point in their house, no Lynch/Williams/Dorsey/Ray-Ray(got hurt),Redmond,new systems, on a short week flying cross country.

I ain't worried getting them in our house,fresh with an overall better infusion of talent and schemes.

dude deff needs to bulk up , think the view him as our richard sherman , i hope he anywhere near that , richard sherman was a poor tackler early on as well.
Gonna break his forearm the first time he tries to make a legit tackle.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Gonna break his forearm the first time he tries to make a legit tackle.

That was so funny I forgot to laugh... lol, there it is!
Young kid with all the physical traits desired in a shutdown corner...Now it is up to the coaching staff to develop him into his full potential...

LOL at 0:38
[ Edited by NorthBay49er on May 4, 2017 at 4:00 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone