LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 267 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
^^^I hope you're wrong. And i expect him to play all 3 downs. New coaches, finally on D. We'll see and know shortly.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Grant Cohn thinks Bosa looks just like Solomon Thomas, body type and size. Of course he completely hates Bosa so he's got "oh no he sucks exactly like Solomon Thomas" syndrome.

Example 36467542 of why Grant Cohn is an idiot.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
Make or Break season for this dude.

He either blows up, or off you go to Seattle or Oakland

Yeah. He is talented but he he needs to show it on the field.

Manny Lawson was a freak of nature but failed to exceed those expectations.

Lawson was much better than Thomas at this point in his career.
Originally posted by okdkid:
He is in this 3rd year. Will be playing a position suited for him. And be surrounded by elite talent.

He was the #3 overall pick. He should make the Pro Bowl this year. That should be the expectation.

If your #3 overall pick is NOT making Pro Bowls by this 3rd year with all of that talent around him -- it's time to just call a bust a bust.

That's a reasonable expectation BUT I don't think Solomon Thomas will play enough snaps to get a realistic shot at a Pro Bowl nod, even if he plays great. Expecting him to play great and dominate is fair based on draft status. Expecting him to be serviceable is realistic. Expecting a Pro Bowl, um..unless he starts at NT and is a 3-down player OR he just somehow gets 12 sacks with some fumble recoveries for TDs on the 20-30 snaps I expect him to play, he isn't making the Pro Bowl
Originally posted by Waterbear:

I don't know about that one. Lawson got hurt early in year 2, so I suppose we can jump to year 3. Both guys were starters with the same number of games under their belt and were ok, but nothing special.

Yeah, Lawson was picked in the late teens and actually had a pretty decent career in the league
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I don't know about that one. Lawson got hurt early in year 2, so I suppose we can jump to year 3. Both guys were starters with the same number of games under their belt and were ok, but nothing special.

You're right I forgot he was injured in year two. So I guess it is hard to say... although just from afar, Lawson seemed to impact the game more even early on.
So what would you guys would grade as a subpar season? vs solid season? vs a good season? vs a great season? for ST.
My take is this:

Subpar season
3-4 sacks.
20 tackles
3+ TFL

Decent season
5-6 sacks.
25-30 tackles
5+ TFL

Good season
7-9 sacks.
30-40 tackles
7+ TFL

Great season
9-12 sacks.
45+ tackles
9+ TFL
Looks like Tarzan, and so far, plays like Jane...

This kid needs to step it up this year, he looked lost a lot last year, spent too much time watching plays happen instead of making them. If they play him anywhere other than DT, it's a waste of snaps.
Originally posted by synigod:
So what would you guys would grade as a subpar season? vs solid season? vs a good season? vs a great season? for ST.
My take is this:

Subpar season
3-4 sacks.
20 tackles
3+ TFL

Decent season
5-6 sacks.
25-30 tackles
5+ TFL

Good season
7-9 sacks.
30-40 tackles
7+ TFL

Great season
9-12 sacks.
45+ tackles
9+ TFL

If ST pulls any of those sack #'s our defense will be beasting. I'd be happy with 1-3 sacks, 35+ tackles, 7 TFL.

Imo there aren't going to be a lot of sacks left to go around after Bosa, Ford and Buckner so I don't expect ST to get many.

Originally posted by WINiner:
If ST pulls any of those sack #'s our defense will be beasting. I'd be happy with 1-3 sacks, 35+ tackles, 7 TFL.

Imo there aren't going to be a lot of sacks left to go around after Bosa, Ford and Buckner so I don't expect ST to get many.

If he only gets 1-3 sacks next year he needs to be cut.
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Yeah, Lawson was picked in the late teens and actually had a pretty decent career in the league

Actually, after 2 seasons Thomas has more tackles and sacks than Lawson did....
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Actually, after 2 seasons Thomas has more tackles and sacks than Lawson did....

You're counting the season that Lawson was out the whole year injured?
Remember when this very respectable d line coach was brought in and was announced? The team asked him to lock himself into a room and give an honest assessment on this guy. Scary to think it's now coming from some inside sources that he was being tossed around in trade talks.
Oh so now MB is dropping sources now too like Matt Miller. Interesting.
Share 49ersWebzone