LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 240 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
Originally posted by genus49:
I still don't see the fascination with this guy. What are you guys seeing that I'm not? Thomas played the entire first half vs a very mediocre offensive line. Nothing stood out to me.

Maybe you should learn how to watch the game outside of the obvious?

You can point out that he didn't face great competition but if you couldn't see him playing well that says more about you. Not to mention people have literally posted several plays where he did some really good things.

And he was out there without the top guys who would give him a ton of 1 on 1s if not allowing him to be unblocked.
Here we go. You must be an expert who watches football outside of the obvious.

You know what it is obvious? This guy is not a difference maker in any capacity. No matter who he plays.

I just don't get this. Solomon is doubled the entire time he is in( but watch that stop immediately once Buck, Dee and Nick are on the DL), and he TOOK ON TWO OLS AT ONCE, got in on some tackles, and i think he had 2 TFLs . If not it was close. I mean what else do you want from an interior DT ? His job is to occupy TWO OLs, so his teammates can make the plays. But still he busted thru sometimes. The guy looked like a good interior DT to me. Cripes he played a good game.

Jeez, read Hero again...or for the first time. That is what interior DLs do.
If you guys are excited about a top 5 drafted player taking up blocks and double teams in the interior then go right ahead. An UDFA made more of an impact than he did last night.

To be fair, and not to watch football from the "obvious' perspective, I don't believe there is a natural fit for him anywhere on the line. That right there is a coaches challenge. Saleh has been experimenting for 3 years now. I mean go back and look at the tape yourselves. Nothing he does stands out. I even saw him drop into coverage once. What is he supposed to do?
I still don't see the fascination with this guy. What are you guys seeing that I'm not? Thomas played the entire first half vs a very mediocre offensive line. Nothing stood out to me.

Maybe you should learn how to watch the game outside of the obvious?

You can point out that he didn't face great competition but if you couldn't see him playing well that says more about you. Not to mention people have literally posted several plays where he did some really good things.

And he was out there without the top guys who would give him a ton of 1 on 1s if not allowing him to be unblocked.
Here we go. You must be an expert who watches football outside of the obvious.

You know what it is obvious? This guy is not a difference maker in any capacity. No matter who he plays.

I just don't get this. Solomon is doubled the entire time he is in( but watch that stop immediately once Buck, Dee and Nick are on the DL), and he TOOK ON TWO OLS AT ONCE, got in on some tackles, and i think he had 2 TFLs . If not it was close. I mean what else do you want from an interior DT ? His job is to occupy TWO OLs, so his teammates can make the plays. But still he busted thru sometimes. The guy looked like a good interior DT to me. Cripes he played a good game.

If you guys are excited about a top 5 drafted player taking up blocks and double teams in the interior then go right ahead. An UDFA made more of an impact than he did last night.

To be fair, and not to watch football from the "obvious' perspective, I don't believe there is a natural fit for him anywhere on the line. That right there is a coaches challenge. Saleh has been experimenting for 3 years now. I mean go back and look at the tape yourselves. Nothing he does stands out. I even saw him drop into coverage once. What is he supposed to do?

There's no point arguing with you. You either completely ignored the posts that have been made pretty much spoon feeding you things he did well in the game and you want to ignore them.

Someone else playing well also doesn't change the fact that Thomas played well...feel free to come up with excuses on why he did but if you want to act like he did nothing well that seems to be a very ignorant post.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I love seeing the fire and instensity kn him. Looks like he's having fun again which is big for us and for him. If he can keep this up or starting line is gonna be one of the best.
  • dj43

this ^^^

I'm going to watch the game again tonight just to focus on him but from what I saw last night, he was strong at the point of attack, he was disruptive when that was the assignment, he was where he was supposed to be on every play I saw except one.
This is an additive, but true. QBs tend to play better when their DLs are pounding the krapt out of the other teams QB. And also getting the opponents O off the field repeatedly. It isn't why jimmy played poorly. But had we had Dee, Nicky B, Buck as well as solomon /lavoaga, street, in there, it would have helped a tad. When we come to town with our true starting DL, all our QBs will play better. Here it was just our starter OGs/C were grossly overmatched by DEN #1s D.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 20, 2019 at 5:30 PM ]
Before the draft when we got him, I remember watching the bowl game he was in and how he was like a one-man wrecking crew. I thought to myself, "Damn I wish we could draft this guy!" When we did AND traded just one spot down to accrue more draft capital, it was such a steak at the time.

Granted, the first couple years may not have been exactly what we all hoped for. But, in light of being fair to a human being first and foremost, I believe many raise their expectations to an extreme height when they want their teams to win.

The fact that our coaches moved an interior lineman to the the end was confusing to me. There are so many on here that are way more knowledgeable than me that can speak to the intricacies of football, but I think many can agree this was a head-scratcher and probably hindered his growth a bit in the NFL.

Also, keep in mind that the college game is much different in the level of play than the professional game. Though we all want our 1st round draft picks to ask be HOFer's, this just isn't the case because it comes down to the team you have.

Lastly, anyone that overlooks the impact of not only losing his sister (his best friend as he even said) to suicide, he also blamed himself for not seeing the signs of her tendency to commit suicide. Please, for the love of God, remember that these players that you want to just run out every Sunday and win every game are human. This incident, no matter how much therapy he has and support he gets, will forever play a role in his life.

With that said, the game last night reminded me of the player I saw in that college bowl game. He might not have gotten the sacks, but damn he looked much better than his first 2 years. And I'm excited to see him play alongside Buck, Bosa, and Ford to see his true impact!
Originally posted by InfiniteEight:
Before the draft when we got him, I remember watching the bowl game he was in and how he was like a one-man wrecking crew. I thought to myself, "Damn I wish we could draft this guy!" When we did AND traded just one spot down to accrue more draft capital, it was such a steak at the time.

Granted, the first couple years may not have been exactly what we all hoped for. But, in light of being fair to a human being first and foremost, I believe many raise their expectations to an extreme height when they want their teams to win.

The fact that our coaches moved an interior lineman to the the end was confusing to me. There are so many on here that are way more knowledgeable than me that can speak to the intricacies of football, but I think many can agree this was a head-scratcher and probably hindered his growth a bit in the NFL.

Also, keep in mind that the college game is much different in the level of play than the professional game. Though we all want our 1st round draft picks to ask be HOFer's, this just isn't the case because it comes down to the team you have.

Lastly, anyone that overlooks the impact of not only losing his sister (his best friend as he even said) to suicide, he also blamed himself for not seeing the signs of her tendency to commit suicide. Please, for the love of God, remember that these players that you want to just run out every Sunday and win every game are human. This incident, no matter how much therapy he has and support he gets, will forever play a role in his life.

With that said, the game last night reminded me of the player I saw in that college bowl game. He might not have gotten the sacks, but damn he looked much better than his first 2 years. And I'm excited to see him play alongside Buck, Bosa, and Ford to see his true impact!

Great post Eight
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by okdkid:
It's sad that this is where we're at with him. Does anybody really see this dude getting a 2nd contract with us?

This is the #3 pick in the draft and we're congratulating him for having a mixed game against a bad offensive line's backups. This is how we treat mid round guys like Blair.
yep, unreal how low we have sunk with him and how low our bar is now set with the third pick in the draft,.

So when he plays well we cant give him credit. When he doesn't play well the narrative can continue.
He played hard and well last night. I liked what I saw.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:
It's sad that this is where we're at with him. Does anybody really see this dude getting a 2nd contract with us?

This is the #3 pick in the draft and we're congratulating him for having a mixed game against a bad offensive line's backups. This is how we treat mid round guys like Blair.
yep, unreal how low we have sunk with him and how low our bar is now set with the third pick in the draft,.

So when he plays well we cant give him credit. When he doesn't play well the narrative can continue.

He played well in games that matter against people that matter with consistency?

He played well in games that matter against people that matter with consistency?

So when he plays well we can't give him credit?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
So when he plays well we can't give him credit?

never

And I'm sure if he didn't play well you wouldn't be laughing at him or calling him a bust because he didn't play well in a preseason game against backups right?

He didn't just play against backups btw...

Save it.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

And I'm sure if he didn't play well you wouldn't be laughing at him or calling him a bust because he didn't play well in a preseason game against backups right?

He didn't just play against backups btw...

Save it.

You guys the #3 overall pick in his third year didnt just play against backups. Super comforting.
Kyle Shanahan said flat out yesterday that Solly played really well in the game &more importantly he's done the same thing in all of training camp. That's Kyle Shanahan, head coach is the SF 49ers of the NFL of which there's only 32 of those jobs in the world. I think I'll trust his opinion & statement. Looking forward to seeing Solly on the field in the regular season.
Share 49ersWebzone