• MFWIC
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Since07:
Well alright. You know some history

Just taking the piss mate. All good

So, can you help answer the question?
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Seems to me the answer to the question is its never happened before.
I vaguely remember the Dolphins cutting some highly-drafted rookie(s) before the season started a while back (like a 2nd or 3rd rounder). Forget who.
The answer is yes. Players have been cut mid way through their rookie season and then end up on another roster. Who specifically you are unlikely to get details on because as stated previously, that's only going to happen to late round or un drafted players who most fans don't care all that much about. Once he's cut the "Meh, some scrub who couldn't make the team" attitude prevails. When he's signed to his new club the "Meh some scrub who couldn't make the (insert team here)" attitude from the fans.

I can't recall any players selected in the 1st 5 rounds getting cut in season one. It may have happened some time in history, but I can't remember it happening since I been watching football starting in the 80's.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jan 28, 2016 at 4:52 PM ]
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
I vaguely remember the Dolphins cutting some highly-drafted rookie(s) before the season started a while back (like a 2nd or 3rd rounder). Forget who.

An you recall if he was resigned to another team that same year or on that weekend as was required in the NFL rules, or was he waived by all and put on scrap heap?

Cheers mate for the answers
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
The answer is yes. Players have been cut mid way through their rookie season and then end up on another roster. Who specifically you are unlikely to get details on because as stated previously, that's only going to happen to late round or un drafted players who most fans don't care all that much about. Once he's cut the "Meh, some scrub who couldn't make the team" attitude prevails. When he's signed to his new club the "Meh some scrub who couldn't make the (insert team here)" attitude from the fans.

I can't recall any players selected in the 1st 5 rounds getting cut in season one. It may have happened some time in history, but I can't remember it happening since I been watching football starting in the 80's.

I find it strange the lack of individual player support within the clubs, yes there is some but they seem to have to be HOF or pro bowl multi elected to get even a little individual love.

Must be an American theme I guess
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Not the answer your looking for, but definitely an interesting read.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimitrius_Underwood
[ Edited by HERN on Jan 31, 2016 at 11:04 AM ]
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Wow, don't know what to,say about mr underwood.

Rookie year and he just walks out!

Some f**ked up s**t right there.
Originally posted by MFWIC:
I find it strange the lack of individual player support within the clubs, yes there is some but they seem to have to be HOF or pro bowl multi elected to get even a little individual love.

It's a cutthroat business.
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NikeSBHead:

It's a cutthroat business.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode.

Why we bother buying team shirts with names on them? We should just buy the shirt with w random number....

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Not sure what you're getting at. Hayne is his own entity. How many Rugby players that are not kickers or punters have ever made an NFL team?

They only guaranteed him like $100k which is nothing in the NFL. It's not a typical Rookie contract where they are paid based on the round and skill level they have and are 4 years in length. Cutting a Rookie who makes a 53 man roster doesn't make sense unless players are injured and spots need to be filled.

The only reason he made the team in the first place was because other RB's on the roster were injured so there was a spot for him.

The reason he was never picked up is because no other team felt it was better to cut a current player with football experience and bring on a guy with almost none. Most Rookies have played football for 10+ years by the time they make it to the NFL level via youth, high school and college.

It's the same reason only about 3 teams were serious in giving him a contract to begin with.
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCold:

Not sure what you're getting at. Hayne is his own entity. How many Rugby players that are not kickers or punters have ever made an NFL team?

They only guaranteed him like $100k which is nothing in the NFL. It's not a typical Rookie contract where they are paid based on the round and skill level they have and are 4 years in length. Cutting a Rookie who makes a 53 man roster doesn't make sense unless players are injured and spots need to be filled.

The only reason he made the team in the first place was because other RB's on the roster were injured so there was a spot for him.

The reason he was never picked up is because no other team felt it was better to cut a current player with football experience and bring on a guy with almost none. Most Rookies have played football for 10+ years by the time they make it to the NFL level via youth, high school and college.

It's the same reason only about 3 teams were serious in giving him a contract to begin with.

Created this thread to try and find an answer that bugs me and as a stat driven sport I would think the answer is easily said.

Seems not so easy to answer....

As for your comment it does not even come close to answer the question about the thread topic.

Why do you think you need to put your vitriol into this thread? why go on about a player that would be better talked about in his own thread not this.

Will not even answer the points mentioned above,,other to say perhaps you may have a need for

Honestly asking a legit question and all I seem to get is vitriol.

Way to mAke 49ers supporters welcome socold
[ Edited by MFWIC on Feb 2, 2016 at 4:13 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by SoCold:

Created this thread to try and find an answer that bugs me and as a stat driven sport I would think the answer is easily said.

Seems not so easy to answer....

As for your comment it does not even come close to answer the question about the thread topic.

Why do you think you need to put your vitriol into this thread? why go on about a player that would be better talked about in his own thread not this.

Will not even answer the points mentioned above,,other to say perhaps you may have a need for

Honestly asking a legit question and all I seem to get is vitriol.

Way to mAke 49ers supporters welcome socold

Your question has been answered.

No team is going to cut a Rookie who's made the 53 man roster. Most Rookies who are good enough to make the 53 man roster were drafted. No team is going to basically throw away a draft pick before a players potential is seen. Some un drafted FA make NFL rosters. Again if a player shows he's good enough to make the active roster there is no reason to cut him before seeing his full potential. In rare cases when better players become available or players get injured you may see a roster move mid season.

Mike Davis the Rookie RB for the 49ers was not healthy enough to start the season. This opened up a roster spot and gave the 49ers the option to give Hayne a shot. When other players became healthy again the 49ers cut Hayne to add another player they needed more.

I'm sure the 49ers figured that another team would not cut an active player just to add Hayne as a 3rd RB. This would give them a great chance at adding him back to their practice squad and give him a future contract when he's gained more experience. Which is exactly what happened. This happens all the time with players a team feels have potential but need more experience.

I would suggest reading through the rules on player contracts, free agents signing as well as the practice squad rules on player movements. This might help you better understand why teams make some of these roster moves.
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
No it has not been answered.

Nor is this comment by you made above at all true

" Mike Davis the Rookie RB for the 49ers was not healthy enough to start the season. This opened up a roster spot and gave the 49ers the option to give Hayne a shot. When other players became healthy again the 49ers cut Hayne to add another player they needed more."

Hayne earnt this spot because for his pre season form, dedication and hard work. If they cut him after that then another franchise would have taken him up. On the comments. About time and player health you are wrong on that as well. If anything when Hayne was on the squad and Hyde went IR the injury resulted in more pressure on coaches to cut him to bring in vets at RB to cover till thye got there main guys back.
[ Edited by MFWIC on Feb 2, 2016 at 11:27 PM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
No it has not been answered.

Nor is this comment by you made above at all true

" Mike Davis the Rookie RB for the 49ers was not healthy enough to start the season. This opened up a roster spot and gave the 49ers the option to give Hayne a shot. When other players became healthy again the 49ers cut Hayne to add another player they needed more."

Hayne earnt this spot because for his pre season form, dedication and hard work. If they cut him after that then another franchise would have taken him up. On the comments. About time and player health you are wrong on that as well. If anything when Hayne was on the squad and Hyde went IR the injury resulted in more pressure on coaches to cut him to bring in vets at RB to cover till thye got there main guys back.

earnt lol

The 49ers used 9 running backs throughout the season, NINE. I'm pretty sure that's never happened before in the NFL. Most teams will use 3 or 4 guys at RB if injuries happen, at most. If their top 3/4 RBs were all healthy Hayne prob would have never made the 53 man roster and given a spot on the practice squad.
Share 49ersWebzone