There are 261 users in the forums

NFL MVP

Shop 49ers game tickets

NFL MVP

• vaden
  • Veteran
Brady slightly over Palmer due to Brady's inferior supporting cast, but I want Palmer to win.
Originally posted by dj43:
Newton has NOT been the team's most effective rusher. That is all media hype because he is a very visible character that draws a great deal of attention to himself with what many people might call "grandstanding."

Jonathan Stewart is the #6 RB in the league with 989 yards. He is a stud that gets tough yards. If Carolina did not have Stewart, Newton and the Panthers would not be nearly what they are.

Case in point, Steward missed the recent Giants game and the Panthers almost lost to a back-end team. Then last week Stewart was out again and the Panthers DID lose. Newton threw for a paltry 142 in large part because play action did not fool Atlanta at all.

Palmer has my vote for MVP. He has done it better every week than anyone else. AZ has the #1 in the league and Palmer's numbers are off-the-charts.

That's a pretty small sample size to be making that claim. Stewart has missed a number of games in Cam's career, but the team has always put up more points than it should have given the talent that surrounds Cam.

Cam had one of his best games of the season against the Giants and threw for 5 TD's. How this game is evidence that Stewart is extremely important is beyond me. Their defense let them down that game, but their offense played better than normal putting up 500 yards and 38 points.

Cam and the Panthers offense struggled against the the Falcons, but he had bad games prior to that (weeks 1, 2, 6, and 7 and week 7 against the Eagles was Stewart's best week). Most QB's would struggle with scrub WR's and RB's with Stewart out - it's remarkable that Newton played as well as he did against the Giants.

The RB's have been okay with Stewart out putting up 71 yards on 21 carries week 15 and 93 yards on 12 carries week 16. Not being successful with play action is as much a function of the playcalling as it is the lack of Stewart - the Panthers stuck with the run against the Giants and were running more effectively against the Falcons but went away from it.

Arizona is slightly ahead of the Panthers in scoring, but Palmer's supporting cast is far better than Newton's even with Stewart healthy. Arizona surrounded Palmer with a solid offensive line and 3 really good WR's (Fitzgerald, Floyd, and Brown are all better than Ginn) so it's not terribly surprising that they have a good offense. And the combination of Chris Johnson, David Johnson, and Andre Ellington is at least as good as Stewart, Payne, and Whittaker. They've rushed for way more yards and a higher Y/A and are better receivers out of the backfield. That takes a lot of pressure off the QB.

I don't know what your issue with Cam is, but there's something going on when you're praising his supporting cast but saying nothing about Palmer's vastly superior supporting cast.
It's a close call, but I'd go with Palmer. Don't think anyone slung the football better than him this year. He's been fantastic.
Newton deserves to be the MVP and will win it. Palmer will come in 2nd. No one else has a shot including Tommy Handsome.
1. Cam
2. Tom
Originally posted by SofaKing:
It's a close call, but I'd go with Palmer. Don't think anyone slung the football better than him this year. He's been fantastic.

100% agree.
RIP Palmer and Brady's MVP chances.

It's between Cam and Wilson.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
RIP Palmer and Brady's MVP chances.

It's between Cam and Wilson.

It's cams
  • dj43
PFF's All Pro team was announced today.

Palmer is the first team selection.

Brady is second team.

Jonathan Steward is second team RB. The only Panther offensive player on either first or second team.
i think newton and palmer are hands down the options but stats shouldnt be sole factor on MVP award and reason why fans do that is because of FF

that being said alex shouldnt get the awards or votes by any means but he deserves to be in the conversation based on team around him who he lost etc

Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
I still think Palmer should win it, and he proved why today.

I find it hilarious that Alex has more votes than Palmer.

Palmer-4,400yrds 34/10 65% 8.8 23sacks #1offense #7 PA defense
Smith-3,300 18/5 65% 7.5 44sacks #25offense #2 PA defense

I'm removing Smith. I Shouldn't have put him on the list in the first place.

• dj43
Originally posted by harryj:
i think newton and palmer are hands down the options but stats shouldnt be sole factor on MVP award and reason why fans do that is because of FF

that being said alex shouldnt get the awards or votes by any means but he deserves to be in the conversation based on team around him who he lost etc

Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
I still think Palmer should win it, and he proved why today.

I find it hilarious that Alex has more votes than Palmer.

Palmer-4,400yrds 34/10 65% 8.8 23sacks #1offense #7 PA defense
Smith-3,300 18/5 65% 7.5 44sacks #25offense #2 PA defense

I'm removing Smith. I Shouldn't have put him on the list in the first place.

That is why I believe the PFF All Pro team has much more validity than a voting contest. PFF looks at more than just the stats anyone can find on NFL.com. Their conclusion is that Newton is the third choice.
[ Edited by dj43 on Jan 6, 2016 at 11:21 AM ]
I love it. Rw not even in the top 4. You know why, bc he's not close to being a top 4 qb. His best games were against atrocious defenses and or secondaries. At least Palmer excelled against some good defenses and so did cam Big Ben and Brady. I love it. Righteous!
Originally posted by elguapo:
I love it. Rw not even in the top 4. You know why, bc he's not close to being a top 4 qb. His best games were against atrocious defenses and or secondaries. At least Palmer excelled against some good defenses and so did cam Big Ben and Brady. I love it. Righteous!

Lol bro stop hating on Wilson, he's legit... but I admire the 9er fan in you
Cameron Newton
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
Originally posted by elguapo:

Lol bro stop hating on Wilson, he's legit... but I admire the 9er fan in you

Wilson is garbage.

He's at best a little better than Kaepernick would be if we still had a great defense and running game. And I'm being very generous with calling him better (because I don't think he is given where they started), but in fairness to everything being politically correct on here (can't bash the midget), I'll give you that.

Now that both QBs have played 4 road playoff games, we have Wilson at 2-2, and Kaepernick at 3-1.

Wilson repping the 2012-2015 Seahawks, and Kap repping the 2012-2013 49ers.

You be the judge on team strength.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Jan 23, 2016 at 9:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone