LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 143 users in the forums

Should we acquire Matt Stafford for 2016?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I would be very meh on that move. It would be entertaining to see what he could do with a consistent running game behind him though. That of course barring he could get consistent oline play here...
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Kaep's read ability level with a zippy arm, but no mobility. No thanks.

How about if our option is Stafford or Gabbert?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I hope we acquire Stafford... Banjo Man is kind of old now.

He can play a double role and be the mascot, too. The staff likes guys that can do more than one thing there in the Santa Clara swamp...
We could do a lot worse. I've always liked Stafford. Certainly him over Bradford. Stafford on a different team, he could be very good. Remember, he plays for the Detroit Lions, the team God has deemed will never be successful.
Originally posted by iceberg450r:

At what cap figure? We have a lot of positions that need to be restocked, and a huge contract for a so-so QB like Stafford really hurts us there.
Originally posted by Antix:
Nah..not really. We should upgrade the position..not just keep the same problem with less mobility.

Dude has CJ and sucks..he'd die here.

This.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
An "acquired" taste to say the least
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Right it's ridiculous that people actually think Stafford is gonna stroll into SF as a bridge QB looking for $10 million a year and no long term guarantees.

And like you said Detroit isn't gonna drop him without getting something in return along with zero behind him...thread over

What's funny is people think he will be much of an improvement over the guy sitting on the bench.
Originally posted by Blindfury:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Right it's ridiculous that people actually think Stafford is gonna stroll into SF as a bridge QB looking for $10 million a year and no long term guarantees.

And like you said Detroit isn't gonna drop him without getting something in return along with zero behind him...thread over

What's funny is people think he will be much of an improvement over the guy sitting on the bench.

Yeah thats debatable but I don't think there's a huge difference...regardless with this coaching staff and OL no one is gonna look good, with Blaine behind center we won't win another game this season and have a top 5 pick which I'm fine with.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Antix:
Nah..not really. We should upgrade the position..not just keep the same problem with less mobility.

Dude has CJ and sucks..he'd die here.

This.

Calvin is nowhere near the player he used to be. He's breaking down.

Blaine has never proven he can play. Stafford is expected to put up 4000+ yds annually. There's a big difference in their bodies of work. Unless Gabbert is reborn this week and starts playing well, theres no comparison with him and Stafford.
Originally posted by iceberg450r:

we are project at $44M under the cap next year that doesn't even account Kaep being cut.
Strike this thread. We may have a discount QB on our hands. Let BG start next year and see if he's worthy of a big contract. Either way, draft a QB and groom him.
Noo noo. We must not accepted for Stafford because he is suck and his bad leader his team. I am not interested in him!
Originally posted by strickac:

Blaine has never proven he can play. Stafford is expected to put up 4000+ yds annually. There's a big difference in their bodies of work. Unless Gabbert is reborn this week and starts playing well, theres no comparison with him and Stafford.

Stafford puts up 4,000 because he has Megatron and they are always trailing or flat our getting baked in games. It does not mean he is a QB. Blake Bortles, Josh McCown and several other garbage QBs do the same exact thing. Putting up yards in garbage time.
Share 49ersWebzone