LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 178 users in the forums

OL Erik Pears

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SofaKing:
PFF graded him negatively in both run and pass pro last night. Accounted for 5 QB pressures. In fact, they counted 14 QB pressures on Kaepernick for the game. I'm HIGHLY skeptical of that number. I thought that was the cleanest pocket Kap had in years. No way he was pressured on 14 dropbacks. Pears and the line did a great job. Just have to clean up the penalties.

eye test>>>>
PFF graded him negatively in both run and pass pro last night. Accounted for 5 QB pressures. In fact, they counted 14 QB pressures on Kaepernick for the game. I'm HIGHLY skeptical of that number. I thought that was the cleanest pocket Kap had in years. No way he was pressured on 14 dropbacks. Pears and the line did a great job. Just have to clean up the penalties.

Many times those stats don't pass the eyeball test when truly watching the game flow. The OL that I saw dominated the Vikes' defensive front and controlled the line of scrimmage almost the whole game.

The Steelers have a better pass rush than Minny, so this should be a great test for our boys up front. I expect to see draw plays and screens to counter their blitzes. And that's another thing - we've actually got some screen plays now! Glory be to Chryst....amen.
Pears along with the rest of the o-line played great last night. Hope it continues to be this way next week & continuing weeks
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
eye test>>>>

Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Many times those stats don't pass the eyeball test when truly watching the game flow. The OL that I saw dominated the Vikes' defensive front and controlled the line of scrimmage almost the whole game.

The Steelers have a better pass rush than Minny, so this should be a great test for our boys up front. I expect to see draw plays and screens to counter their blitzes. And that's another thing - we've actually got some screen plays now! Glory be to Chryst....amen.

Agree, eyeball test is the way to go. I know what I saw last night, even re-watched the game + coaches film. They played well as a unit.

Pretty good Steelers front coming up, but they're not quite what they used to be. They are vulnerable. We can definitely attack the secondary. Should be a good matchup. I'm confident in our guys.
eye test>>>>

Agree, eyeball test is the way to go. I know what I saw last night, even re-watched the game + coaches film. They played well as a unit.

Pretty good Steelers front coming up, but they're not quite what they used to be. They are vulnerable. We can definitely attack the secondary. Should be a good matchup. I'm confident in our guys.

Vikings actually ranked 10th in sacks last year while the steelers came in at 23.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by natrone06:
eye test>>>>

Vikings actually ranked 10th in sacks last year while the steelers came in at 23.

Ya, the Steelers D may be a week link this year. They do have an offense but I believe the 49ers can win this one.
I mean, I dont think he played amazing, but he played decent enough. Point is people overreact, and they overreacted off the strength of several drives in a preseason game against a tough pass rushing team (if anyone saw the ravens-broncos game theyd know the ravens line - a VERY good line - got crushed).

Is Pears a long-term solution ? No, and thats OK. Is he so bad we have to have a rookie or a guy off the street replace him ? I think the answer so far is a resounding 'no'. It still can change, but so far so good.
Shout out to all the pear
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
I mean, I dont think he played amazing, but he played decent enough. Point is people overreact, and they overreacted off the strength of several drives in a preseason game against a tough pass rushing team (if anyone saw the ravens-broncos game theyd know the ravens line - a VERY good line - got crushed).

Is Pears a long-term solution ? No, and thats OK. Is he so bad we have to have a rookie or a guy off the street replace him ? I think the answer so far is a resounding 'no'. It still can change, but so far so good.

Bam Bam Davis will be back next year to be the RT. Count on it. In the mean time as you said, Pears is solid and a much better RT than Jonathan Martin.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by natrone06:
eye test>>>>

Ya, the Steelers D may be a week link this year. They do have an offense but I believe the 49ers can win this one.

Not to derail the thread but I'm so glad we play the Steelers offense now with no Leveon Bell, Martavis Bryant or Maurkice Pouncey. They are still an offense capable of scoring but not nearly as dominant as they could be.

• Shifty
  • Veteran

A couple of times I did see pressure on Kap from the right side, but Kap made some nice moves to avoid the rush and make a play.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Bam Bam Davis will be back next year to be the RT. Count on it. In the mean time as you said, Pears is solid and a much better RT than Jonathan Martin.

No way, we're moving on without that guy.

1. Quitter
2. Classless douche bag who constantly tweets stupid s**t. Worst I know of is tweeting the video of that live news murder. This is a despicable action.

We should have known he was a loser without the capacity to work through injuries.
A lot of their grades seemed wrong.

I didn't see Bowman give up a bunch of passing plays either. I do recall him tackling a guy when he was dropped back in zone that happened to gain like 20 yards that he really was only there to cover in case the blitz didn't get there and wasn't executed correctly. The blitzer needed to get in the passing lane but he left one wide open - does that count against Bowman? I think it probably did. It shouldn't have. He played it exactly the only way he possibly could have as there was another receiver running behind him and we were in zone.

I think PFF's grades should be taken with a lot of salt. Better than nothing, but I don't really trust everyone they have working to do a great job or even understand the game as well as they might lead on.

This said, I do think the right side gave up some pressures here and there. But Kap avoided them pretty well. When outside pressure came it seemed like there was usually a pocket to step into. Or he was able to avoid the rusher and scramble for something. It wasn't perfect, but it was a damn huge improvement over last year.

And I really don't see how they can grade any of our OL that horribly - then again we were used to Martin who was putting up -8.0's I think so what do I know about their system?
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Sep 16, 2015 at 2:47 AM ]
Terrible in Buffalo and he's just as bad here.
This guy Pears sucks so much.
Share 49ersWebzone