There are 117 users in the forums

Which skill would 49er fans take from Alex Smith and give to Colin Kaepernick????

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Read the defense, go through progressions, check down if nothing big is there, throw it away rather than throw the interception. Not every play has to be huge. Honestly Alex is the more functional NFL QB right now. Colin is a bigger arm and faster legs. But he has not put it all together. Like playing from the pocked, reads and progressions, accuracy on short throws in the redzone. Kap has a lot to work on really. His upside is real big. But IMO Kap has actually taken a step back this year rather than forward.

9 yr Vet

2nd yr QB

Lets compare them when they get the same amount of experience
Kap only needs Alex's ability to dress himself nicely .
Alex would crumble in Seattle in that magnitude of a game(NFCCG). Kaep made huge mistakes down the stretch but his dual threat ability is why we were even in control to begin with. With Alex, we'd gradually lose touch with the game while we slowly keep trailing and trailing until we lose 27-13
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Read the defense, go through progressions, check down if nothing big is there, throw it away rather than throw the interception. Not every play has to be huge. Honestly Alex is the more functional NFL QB right now. Colin is a bigger arm and faster legs. But he has not put it all together. Like playing from the pocked, reads and progressions, accuracy on short throws in the redzone. Kap has a lot to work on really. His upside is real big. But IMO Kap has actually taken a step back this year rather than forward.

They are both functional, albeit Alex is better at reading a Defense because he's played in so many more games.

Kap has big play improv ability and home run legs.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
They are both functional, albeit Alex is better at reading a Defense because he's played in so many more games.

Kap has big play improv ability and home run legs.

Pretty much THIS... ^

Definitely not THIS..... v

Originally posted by est1985:
Alex would crumble in Seattle in that magnitude of a game(NFCCG). Kaep made huge mistakes down the stretch but his dual threat ability is why we were even in control to begin with. With Alex, we'd gradually lose touch with the game while we slowly keep trailing and trailing until we lose 27-13
If you asked me this when Kap got into the league.. I would have hoped for Kap to have Alex's durability.

a few years later, and thank god he does.

In Alex's playoff experience, when have you ever seen him lose composure and make huge mistakes? He had one of the all-time clutch performances against the Saints to win the game and he should have been rewarded with one of the best games of his life against the Colts last year (but the Colts' defense had a monumental collapse). In the NFC Championship game against the Giants, he threw two long TD's to Vernon, but had Joe Hastings and Brett Swain as 2 of his 3 starting receivers. The Giants stacked the box so the rushing game couldn't ever get going. And Kyle Williams, of course. Alex always played Seattle tough and didn't make big mistakes against them, which is why Pete Carroll didn't win a single game against Harbaugh's 49ers until their 4th attempt. Your theory doesn't pan out.

sweater mannequinism
Kap actually needs to pass it to the closer guy once in awhile.
I'll take Smith's accuracy on short to immediate throws and his game management skills. Alex knows his limitations and it serves him well, but I'm not sure how anyone could think we are not better off with Kap. After we lost lost to the Giants again and he was throwing picks left and right, his team mates lost confidence in him, there was no going back.

• dj43
Smith's overall grasp of the game and the situation.

He has been through so much, and made plays like in the Saints game or in Seattle, that he does not get rattled or lose touch with what is going on. Of course, a lot of that comes from experience but you somehow get the sense that a part of it is his mental toughness which is something you just can't train. He survived Nolan. He survived Singletary and he survived the team that drafted him tossing him off for an untested rookie. Another game, another challenging game situation is just not a big deal to him.

Another thing I like about Smith is his presence with the media. Always a gentleman. Never above giving an honest answer to a hard question. So while that has little to do with winning and losing, it does indicate an attitude that recognizes the role of others is important.

So if I had to pick one thing, it would be his overall command of the game and situation.
Leader of the football team...

All this snapback b******t, putting stupid ass designs in his hair, dressing and talking very immature...

The QB is the leader of the football team, I am not saying to not have fun, not joke with the guys, but when it comes to being a leader, you have to command that respect from your teammates. I am a Kaepernick supporter, love the guys talent and aggressive style to win but i want the QB to be the leader of my team.. He needs to grow into that.
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
Leader of the football team...

All this snapback b******t, putting stupid ass designs in his hair, dressing and talking very immature...

The QB is the leader of the football team, I am not saying to not have fun, not joke with the guys, but when it comes to being a leader, you have to command that respect from your teammates. I am a Kaepernick supporter, love the guys talent and aggressive style to win but i want the QB to be the leader of my team.. He needs to grow into that.

Kap is the first one at the practice field every day at 6:00AM and is always on the sideline getting people amped up. And he always takes responsibility for his mistakes and never throws other under the bus.

Some people find respect in a man's work ethic and personality, and some people respect guys who dress professionally.

I think football players would respect the former because these guys are jocks and come from backgrounds of non affluence where professionally dressed people are rare.

I mean justin smith is a respected leader of the defense and shows up to press conferences in T shirts and a hat but no one will ever question his leadership. I woud be surprised if the cowboy even owns a dress shirt.

But i can see how some fans and the media would respect a guy who wears a a dress shirt and tie even if he only works 9:00AM -5:00PM
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Oct 1, 2014 at 5:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Psinex:

In Alex's playoff experience, when have you ever seen him lose composure and make huge mistakes? He had one of the all-time clutch performances against the Saints to win the game and he should have been rewarded with one of the best games of his life against the Colts last year (but the Colts' defense had a monumental collapse). In the NFC Championship game against the Giants, he threw two long TD's to Vernon, but had Joe Hastings and Brett Swain as 2 of his 3 starting receivers. The Giants stacked the box so the rushing game couldn't ever get going. And Kyle Williams, of course. Alex always played Seattle tough and didn't make big mistakes against them, which is why Pete Carroll didn't win a single game against Harbaugh's 49ers until their 4th attempt. Your theory doesn't pan out.

I don't disagree with most of what you say, but the Seattle part(on your end) I don't really agree with because he never played seattle at their peak with Wilson and and improved D. My whole post was strictly about the championship game in Seattle. I don't think Alex can win that game playing from the pocket and not making attempts down the field.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Which skill?

Being able to hold the clipboard and pen without fumbling / dropping either one....

They Both Suck!!
Share 49ersWebzone