LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 212 users in the forums

who is LJ McCray?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • buck
  • Veteran
In my opinion, McCray has done enough to earn a spot on the roster.

While he works as a gunner on special teams this year, Donatell can coach him up at safety.

As it stands now, I think that he already has better coverage skills than Dahl, Spillman or Ventrone.

Originally posted by buck:
In my opinion, McCray has done enough to earn a spot on the roster.

While he works as a gunner on special teams this year, Donatell can coach him up at safety.

As it stands now, I think that he already has better coverage skills than Dahl, Spillman or Ventrone.

I haven't seen enough of preseason to judge, but I've been hoping that we could finally have a backup safety that we would feel comfortable in playing, especially in the event of injury. There is always some drop off when you have a backup in the game, but I don't think there is any position on this team where the drop off is as drastic as it is at the safety positions. If what you say is true about LJ McCray having better coverage skills than our current back ups, this bodes really well given his lack of experience.
Great Practice squad candidate.
What they need to do is Cut Craig Dahls weak ass, as well as ventrone for this guy.

Dahl needs to go, guys not very good. he's worse in coverage than Whitner was.
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
What they need to do is Cut Craig Dahls weak ass, as well as ventrone for this guy.

Great comparison pro bowl whitener to Dahl.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Great Practice squad candidate.

Except he just murdered the Texans, who suck at special teams and are the first team in order for waiver claims. We'd be crazy to think they wouldn't make a waiver claim on him if we cut him. This would be the most frustrating cut in years, IMO. Fangio's obsession with old vets who are substandard athletes and defenders drives me nuts. Dahl and Spillman were never good safeties, and they're just getting older, but they've been here a while, so let's cut a couple of talented, instinctive ballers who just need more experience and coaching. Campbell was a bad cut, too. No one claimed him, so I hope he makes it to our PS. He was very good in the SD game.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:

Great comparison pro bowl whitener to Dahl.

Whitner did not make his name covering passes, lol. Dahl is garbage. Apparently, he knows where he's supposed to be. Unfortunately, his instincts are weak and he's slow as hell, so he never actually gets to where he's supposed to be. If the play comes right to him, he still rarely makes the play. This guy as our #3 safety is the single biggest WTF on our roster. Must have compromising pics of Fangio.
So HAPPY he made the team the only darkhorse I thought that had a chance Great job Harbaalke
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
So HAPPY he made the team the only darkhorse I thought that had a chance Great job Harbaalke

Yup me too!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Good work Mr. McCray.

Good work Mr. McCray.

Now your next task is to take Dahlhouses job
  • buck
  • Veteran
Harbaugh

On if James McCray's performance on special teams on Thursday propelled him to a roster spot: "Yes, we do expect him to be very good on special teams. Yes, the game on Thursday, he did a very fine job and we thought in the games leading up to that -- the Baltimore game, Denver, San Diego, he was making his case, he was stating his argument and finally felt like he earned the job"

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/9109/harbaugh-says-smith-at-team-meeting-other-nuggets
  • buck
  • Veteran
L.J. McCray spent all day Saturday at the San Francisco 49ers Santa Clara-based facility.

The rookie safety was with teammates, staring at his phone, waiting for a telephone call that never came.

"It was nerve-racking," McCray told reporters after it was revealed that he had made the 49ers initial 53-man roster. "Everyone kept saying that no call was a good thing."

That meeting served as an announcement for some. McCray said Harbaugh began the get-together by saying, "Whoever is in this meeting, congratulations, you've made the team.' ...I tried not to make (my excitement) too obvious. I was with veterans who were like, 'You should expect to be here.'"

"We expect him to be good on special teams. (In the preseason), he was making his case, he was stating his argument. Felt like he earned a job."

It's worth reminding that McCray's ties to defensive line coach Jim Tomsula run deep, all the way to Catawba College. We should also mention: McCray said he chose to sign with the 49ers over the New England Patriots after the NFL Draft because of assistant secondary coach Greg Jackson's influence.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/15-Takeaways-from-Initial-53-man-Roster/0a7b72a5-f665-41e2-859c-f6939749b3f1
  • buck
  • Veteran
McCray said he was inspired by listening to team captain Patrick Willis deliver an impassioned speech on the field before the game. Willis, like most of the starters, did not play in the game, but he made an impact with his words.

"The speech Patrick Willis gave before the game kind of registered with me," McCray said.

Willis told his teammates that some players would be playing their final game with the 49ers and others might be playing their final game, period.

"So I took that as opportunity to go out and give everything I had," McCray said.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-turn-young-players-special-teams

Smart kid. He pays attention to what Patrick Willis says.

McCray said he was inspired by listening to team captain Patrick Willis deliver an impassioned speech on the field before the game. Willis, like most of the starters, did not play in the game, but he made an impact with his words.

"The speech Patrick Willis gave before the game kind of registered with me," McCray said.

Willis told his teammates that some players would be playing their final game with the 49ers and others might be playing their final game, period.

"So I took that as opportunity to go out and give everything I had," McCray said.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-turn-young-players-special-teams

Smart kid. He pays attention to what Patrick Willis says.

This is a pretty tough pill to swallow. Granted athletes make a lot of lot of money, but I couldn't imagine dealing with that reality (final game of my career). Hopefully McCray lives up to the big shoes he has to fill on special teams and makes an impact as a key backup.
Share 49ersWebzone