There are 226 users in the forums

Marcus Martin C - 3rd Round

Shop 49ers game tickets
one of the worst offensive lineman we have had in the past decade. unbelievably bad and he compromises the entire offensive line because of it. maybe a scheme change will work for him or (more likely) maybe he just doesn't have the talent to play in the NFL
Nite to niners: never draft a usc ol ever again.
Par for the course for this GM.

Here is his Formula

*Draft 3rd round Talent in the 1st round
*Draft 5th round Talent in the 2nd round
*Draft 7th Round Talent in the 3rd round (Sans Bowman)
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Dare I say ANother Trent Baalke WHiff Whiff Whiff.....Gabe Jackson much stronger went 12 picks LATER OG having a nice 2 years run so far for the Raiders.

He was seen as the best center in the draft by almost everyone. So spending a third round pick for the best center was a great choice. Not baalkes fault he can't do s**t in the NFL. Almost every draft guru and I bet scout was impressed by his tape at USC. It's just mind boggling that he is so weak in the NFL. But again, a late third round pick isn't always a bust if he doesn't turn out. Many many 3rd round picks are not starters they are depth. So Martin deserves to be a backup until he proves otherwise.

Yeah he was looked as a huge steal. I'm surprised with how bad his anchor is tho.

Big time shocker how poor this guy has played. Just mentally lost, slow at the POA, mechanics suck, etc.

Just mind-boggling.

How a player can be so highly regarded flop this badly?
isn't he still a young chap ?
Dominating at USC means very little. I would expect Niners fans to know this by now. The best linemen come out of the SEC (and big 10) usually because the DL's are easily the closest to NFL quality out there year in and year out. You need to have the numbers to back up the domination. Martin didn't work out that well. Neither did any of the other USC stars we drafted. The only guys from that school that work out are guys who also have serious NFL level physical skills.

The kid sucks. He will never amount to anything.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Jan 10, 2016 at 3:01 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Dominating at USC means very little. I would expect Niners fans to know this by now. The best linemen come out of the SEC (and big 10) usually because the DL's are easily the closest to NFL quality out there year in and year out. You need to have the numbers to back up the domination. Martin didn't work out that well. Neither did any of the other USC stars we drafted. The only guys from that school that work out are guys who also have serious NFL level physical skills.

The kid sucks. He will never amount to anything.

The Kalil brothers disagree
[ Edited by pd24 on Jan 10, 2016 at 3:05 PM ]
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Par for the course for this GM.

Here is his Formula

*Draft 3rd round Talent in the 1st round
*Draft 5th round Talent in the 2nd round
*Draft 7th Round Talent in the 3rd round (Sans Bowman)

I thought it was 4th round talent in the 1st? Like AD, Iupati, Smith, Reid, Ward, AA...all those 3/4 round talents right? Or just is it only Jenkins you are basing this on?
Serious NFL level workouts. Both guys had great work outs. Our guys did not. Smith @ Dallas too. But again, great work out numbers.

Originally posted by pd24:

The Kalil brothers disagree
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Jan 10, 2016 at 3:13 PM ]
This guy seems to be in way better shape than last season.

Hopefully his hard work proves eventful in season

Kid is young I think he will thrive in the ZBS

• thl408
Originally posted by Harbaalke:

He ain't gonna thrive in anything unless he can anchor himself and not get pushed back. This goes for pass and run blocking. I can't tell what he's doing wrong, but he doesn't even flash. Might be a case of confirmation bias on my part, but I don't see him do anything well. All I have to hang my hopes on is that he's young and his body is still maturing.
Originally posted by thl408:

He ain't gonna thrive in anything unless he can anchor himself and not get pushed back. This goes for pass and run blocking. I can't tell what he's doing wrong, but he doesn't even flash. Might be a case of confirmation bias on my part, but I don't see him do anything well. All I have to hang my hopes on is that he's young and his body is still maturing.

Exactly. No scheme change is gonna suddenly make this guy pancake proof. He looks like a boy among men out there, constantly getting pushed around with little to no resistance on his end.
Originally posted by thl408:

Yeah the only reason I'm holding hope that he might develop is because of his age. So young, was he 19 when he entered the league?

just curious, what gives you that impression?
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

just curious, what gives you that impression?

He looked kind of fat last season even his teammates clowned on him for having a gut and such
Follow him on instagram and he seems to have lost that fat and gained muscle, he's lifting 600+ lbs with a hex bar so I'm hoping he's going to have a stronger anchor since from what I understand a hex bar is used to strengthen your lower body
Share 49ersWebzone