LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 429 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JDTical:
This is how it should work. Jimmie never wanted to play nickel, instead of sulking about it he made his feelings known to the coach. Coach said, I hear you, but I need you at nickel. Never heard a peep from Jimmie the rest of the way about it and he did a great job. Now it's the offseason, he's a free agent, and he is letting everyone know he doesn't want to play nickel.

Credit to Jimmie and to Shanahan for handling this like men.

Nice post
Originally posted by All22:
I get that he doesn't want to play nickel but he should take that money. Matthieu (30yrs old) got 3/33 from the Saints and Justin Reid (25 yrs old) got 3/30 from the Chiefs. I don't get how that's any different from #1 nickel money, which is $10m-$11m APY.

that makes sense. get it done paraage!
I get that he doesn't want to play nickel but he should take that money. Matthieu (30yrs old) got 3/33 from the Saints and Justin Reid (25 yrs old) got 3/30 from the Chiefs. I don't get how that's any different from #1 nickel money, which is $10m-$11m APY.

Curious what CGJ gets
Looks like another revenge game is on the menu.... Jimmy G, Glinchey, now Jimmy Ward
Like as nickle!
i wonder if the 49ers can still afford him as the highest paid nickelback
  • dj43
Originally posted by picklejuice:
i wonder if the 49ers can still afford him as the highest paid nickelback

He needs to go back to FS. A recent article pointed out the 49ers were often victimized by deep passes this season, unlike in 2021. He's a leader on the defense and should be brought back...unless he just wants to leave, which I doubt.

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/15/49ers-free-agents-jimmie-ward-free-safety/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2U5JWYlhioJYZo7BI7VYM0-36juZ_rF48m1IJHy0-8RyOgQMn-sOYS7z8
  • 91til
  • Veteran
I want us to bring him back (as FS) on a two year deal if he'll take like 8-10M per, but still obviously draft a safety in the 3rd or 4th
[ Edited by 91til on Feb 17, 2023 at 8:21 AM ]
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Unless we sign a younger FA safety I guess
  • dj43
Originally posted by 91til:
I want us to bring him back (as FS) on a two year deal if he'll take like 8-10M per, but still obviously draft a safety in the 3rd or 4th

Spotrac estimates his market value at $7.6M, for two years. Doable.

Originally posted by dj43:

If that's it, yeah you do it. I'd sign him 2-3 years, with that 3rd year having an easy out. Then draft and groom the replacement. This is assuming Gipson is retiring.
  • thl408

Offer 1 year $5. It is wise to approach 32 year old defensive backs on a year to year basis.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Curious what CGJ gets

Right. this is who they need to be signing
Originally posted by thl408:

Offer 1 year $5. It is wise to approach 32 year old defensive backs on a year to year basis.

I agree here and he has injury concerns. Id like to draft a very fast FS as we need speed back there. Jimmy is awesome, but at his age my guess is someone else may pay him.
Share 49ersWebzone