LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 267 users in the forums

49ers release Jonathan Martin

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
All I'm saying is he's going up against some pretty tough guys on our D-line who have been in the system and I'd expect they would get the better of him. It doesn't bode well for him playing in the NFC West but we'll see how he looks after more practices and definitely by the first preseason game.

Well from what scouting reports I read that are still available, he's supposedly a better run blocker than a pass blocker, and pass blocking is where he's had his clock cleaned. I think he's young enough to develop more upper body strength in the pass blocking area, and if run blocking is his strength - I think he can make the team as a extra lineman for the run and as a 2nd or third string left tackle. he has 2nd round athleticism and that should count for something.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
I keep hearing he's getting beat pretty bad out there dont tell me we have Kwame Harris 2.0 on our hands if he is thrown into action during the season i fear for Kap's safety

He isn't exactly going up against slouches.

Sea, Arz, and StL say Hi.

All I'm saying is he's going up against some pretty tough guys on our D-line who have been in the system and I'd expect they would get the better of him. It doesn't bode well for him playing in the NFC West but we'll see how he looks after more practices and definitely by the first preseason game.

Well maybe he is just a back up then. We gave almost nothing for him so maybe he just gets cut and goes back to Miami.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Everybody beats this guy in practice. But that is really no surprise if you watch him play he is clearly not NFL material. He is physically and mentally soft. I hope we cut him and use the roster spot on somebody better.

Kind of leaning with this. Our DL and it's depth is pretty ridicolous so I'll wait to see how he does in the preseason before packing his bags. If he still can't hold his own against second and third stringers, cut him loose. Would be a waste of a roster spot to keep him around. There's only so much you can do with a player as soft as he is.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Aug 1, 2014 at 9:47 AM ]
Sounds like our dline has been " bullying" him pretty bad
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Everybody beats this guy in practice. But that is really no surprise if you watch him play he is clearly not NFL material. He is physically and mentally soft. I hope we cut him and use the roster spot on somebody better.

Kind of leaning with this. Our DL and it's depth is pretty ridicolous so I'll wait to see how he does in the preseason before packing his bags. If he still can't hold his own against second and third stringers, cut him loose. Would be a waste of a roster spot to keep him around. There's only so much you can do with a player as soft as he is.

Time to man up or look for work else where.
we all made the assumption that snyder was an obvious cut, but martin seems to be getting beat by everyone.
Originally posted by ninergold:
we all made the assumption that snyder was an obvious cut, but martin seems to be getting beat by everyone.

This guy just isnt gonna cut it from 2days reports:

During one-on-one pass-rush drills, left defensive end Tony Jerod-Eddie put right tackle Jonathan Martin on his backside.Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/03/6602158/training-camp-day-9-defense-serves.html#storylink=cpy

During one-on-one pass-rush drills, left defensive end Tony Jerod-Eddie put right tackle Jonathan Martin on his backside.Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/03/6602158/training-camp-day-9-defense-serves.html#storylink=cpy

I wonder if the Dolphins D-line whipped him this bad during training camp.

Why else do you think everyone in that locker treated him like a b***h? Mentally and physically weak/soft.

Cut Martin now. He has gotten beaten like a drum by the dlinemen, dobbs and Jerod Ellie are UDFA's, imagine if they cut cowboy loose on Martin he would be screaming like a school girl.

Originally posted by 9erred:
Cut Martin now. He has gotten beaten like a drum by the dlinemen, dobbs and Jerod Ellie are UDFA's, imagine if they cut cowboy loose on Martin he would be screaming like a school girl.

he will be cut at some point before the season, who cares when
Some around here thought he could start for us...lol

This fool and Snyder need to be off the roster.
Nno dude can flat out play, yes he lacks strength but he is adept at reverting else. Consistsant play snap is what he lacks
  • jrg
  • Veteran
dude is getting owned in camp
So does anybody feel comfortable with this guy or Snyder starting if Staley goes down? This is the kind of s**t that gets QB's killed!
Share 49ersWebzone