LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 212 users in the forums

Is Seattle going to have cap casualties?

Shop 49ers game tickets
The hawks had a lot going for them this year. It was their year no doubt. They won too many close games, and opponents lost too many opportunities. Just look at the first game of the year when they were about to lose to carolina..until the RB fumbled on the 5. Next year won't be so generous. they are a great team but the niners are better overall.. and in relation to the future, they know it.
Originally posted by Shanghai69er:
This. Seattle looks to still be as unbeatable next year with all of their bargain-basement deals on All-Pro players. I just can't belieeeve how little they're paying for Wilson, Sherman, and Thomas III right now...sick...

That's what happens when you scout well, draft well in rounds 1-7 and develop players extremely well. They've done that better than any team in the NFL since Carroll arrived in Seattle.
Originally posted by tondiman:
The hawks had a lot going for them this year. It was their year no doubt. They won too many close games, and opponents lost too many opportunities. Just look at the first game of the year when they were about to lose to carolina..until the RB fumbled on the 5. Next year won't be so generous. they are a great team but the niners are better overall.. and in relation to the future, they know it.

The Hawks have a fresh Lombardi . . . they are better. And I think cap wise we're on similar tracks, but I think we're a year or two ahead of them in the cap building cycle . . . and that's not necessarily a good thing. We need to have an exceptional 2014 draft IMO in order to fill the void left by the atrocious 2012 draft and maintain future cap health with cheap labor.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Feb 3, 2014 at 9:52 PM ]
Pretty pathetic when we're hoping for them to lose players to free agency in order to beat them. What's next? Wishing for their charter plane to crash?
I just don't see how people are comparing our cap situation to Seattle's. We have two main guys we need to resign; Kap and Aldon, and give the events that have unfolded over the past year, I'm sure we will get cap friendly deals on both of those guys. Seattle on the other hand has Wilson, Thomas, and Sherman who will easily take up 40-50 million in cap space a year. Not to mention they have several other guys you were making scraps that will now want at least mid level deals seeing as how they have Super Bowls. We see it happen EVERY YEAR, look at all the guys from the Ravens that got overpaid; Ellerby, Kruger, etc. Some guys will walk and Seattle will end up overpaying for Sherman and Wilson, imo. I don't think in the long run neither will be worth the deals they will get unless you consider this one trophy worth it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by dj43:
We could have had him for Undrafted Rookie money. Another reason I question Harbaugh's judgement on receivers. He has killed the 49ers in the past three years. Even as a rookie he reeled off a big gain that cost us a win, IIRC.

Did he come out in 2011? If so, we didn't lose to SEA in 2011

I may be wrong on the year but he has been a weapon for them against us and others. I guess at 5'11" 190 pounds he was not big enough to be a good run blocker for us.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
This is all hinging on the notion that Sherman or Earl Thomas won't hold out. Whic they both would be fool (even more so with Sherman) playing another season for what they make now with no garuntee of another big deal if they get injured this year. Earl might wait until 2015 but Sherman will hold out for sure (if they don't pony up the money before hand of course).

Seattle will have enough cap room this year that they could extend one of them, perhaps both depending on what the new cap number is and how their agents will agree to how the payout is structured.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Pretty pathetic when we're hoping for them to lose players to free agency in order to beat them. What's next? Wishing for their charter plane to crash?

LOL,true.

Just gotta hope we can do what we NEED to do to make our team better and I don't care if their guys are signed till 2027.

Their annihilation of Denver has made people forget how tight their two playoff games were, at home to boot. Denver made Seattle look 10 times better than they actually are.

I bet in the rematch this year, Denver keeps it a lot closer. If not, they just suck.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SofaKing:
They will lose some guys, like all good teams. Can't give everyone a pay raise. Tate looks expendable. They will have Harvin-Baldwin-Kearse for next year. Sydney Rice and Zach Miller will likely have to take big pay cuts, or be released. Red Bryant also has a very high cap figure, might have to restructure. Other than that they look to be in good shape. Re-signing Michael Bennett is a must for them.

With all the wide receiver depth in this year's draft, I wouldn't be surprised to see Seattle grab one or two WRs, let them sit behind the three you mention and let Rice and Tate go and spread their cap money around.
Originally posted by Shanghai69er:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
The real problems they face will be in 2-3 years. You think their Superbowl winning QB might want a raise from his 3rd round pick money? Their pass rushers and LB's will get offers. Teams love to poach off of Superbowl winners. Guys in the secondary like Chancellor and Sherman will fetch huge paydays. Marshawn Lynch? The list goes on.

They were flying under the radar but now everybody knows how good their players are. It won't effect them this year but the following year on it will effect them greatly.

This. Seattle looks to still be as unbeatable next year with all of their bargain-basement deals on All-Pro players. I just can't belieeeve how little they're paying for Wilson, Sherman, and Thomas III right now...sick...
Relax. Seattle is tough. So are we. If we had won 1 more game this year we take our division and we are the #1 seed. Bye week, Home field advantage. We kick Denver's butt in the Superbowl. I prayed we would face Denver last year because I knew we would kill them. It's never going to be easy but if we hadn't lost Crabtree or if we had some quality back ups we would be Superbowl champs right now. It's always going to be a battle. In the 90's it was the Cowboys and Packers. In the 80's it was the Giants and Redskins and 85 Bears. It's never a walk in the park but we can beat anybody including Seattle. We did it last year and this year at home and we almost beat them in Seattle in spite of the officials trying to hand it to them in the playoffs.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:

Lol what? GMs of other teams do this all the time. Lol weirdest analogy I've read here in a while.
I may be wrong on the year but he has been a weapon for them against us and others. I guess at 5'11" 190 pounds he was not big enough to be a good run blocker for us.

You are exactly right but neither was AJJ. Look, we haven't exactly been the best at drafting and developing WR over here in SF
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
This is all hinging on the notion that Sherman or Earl Thomas won't hold out. Whic they both would be fool (even more so with Sherman) playing another season for what they make now with no garuntee of another big deal if they get injured this year. Earl might wait until 2015 but Sherman will hold out for sure (if they don't pony up the money before hand of course).

Seattle will have enough cap room this year that they could extend one of them, perhaps both depending on what the new cap number is and how their agents will agree to how the payout is structured.

One thing we know is that both players will want to stay in SEA. I am more focused on us to tell you the truth. We are in great shape!
They will have Kap casualties from here on out....

/thread
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
naw, they'll be fine. maybe a couple non essential players but they'll hold onto most of their playmakers.
Share 49ersWebzone