1 harbaugh qb in the playoffs

Shop 49ers game tickets
And then there was one.
Originally posted by hateradin:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by outside4949:
Harbaugh has to be the best evaluator of qb talent in the nation. At certain times in his career he has chosen luck smith and kap. The fact that these qbs have success after harbaugh says a lot. I wonder if we could parlay this skill into draft picks? What would other teams give for harbaughs qb advice? a second round pick maybe?

WAY over-stated IMO.

Andrew Luck was the top-rated high school QB in the nation. He chose Stanford for academics as well as for football. He wanted a top-notch education as well as football. IIRC, he earned two degrees in his time there. Stanford, at the urging of alumni, had demanded the university renew emphasis on football to attract the many very bright students who are also very good athletes rather than allowing them to go all over the nation to schools that do not have such an outstanding academic appeal. School admin responded and top scholar/athletes in turn have come to Stanford. Harbaugh, though admittedly having some reputation as a former player, was fortunate to be in charge when Luck came out of HS. I would argue that Luck, whose father was also an NFL QB, was pretty well polished when he arrived at Stanford. He played well in Harbaugh's power running scheme and continued under David Shaw. While he certainly learned more about playing the game, he played very well right from the start. It is worth noting that he also improved under Bruce Arians last year.

Alex Smith began to show markedly better QB play when Mike Johnson replaced Jimmy Raye. Harbaugh, to his credit, recognized that Smith was by far the best option available to the 49ers so he kept him, and Smith responded by taking the team to the NFCCG. Now, Smith, playing in Reid's WCO, a system much different than Harbaugh's power run-based game, just put up his best season capped by a spectacular playoff performance. Though a lot of East Coast writers like to give Harbaugh all the credit, a closer examination shows Harbaugh did not do all that much.

Now we come to Kaepernick and I, among others, believe that if Harbaugh was The Great Quarterback Whisperer Colin Kaepernick would be a much more polished game manager and all-around QB if Harbaugh was really that great. Kaepernick still appears to be getting by on superior athletic ability rather than learned skills and game management ability.

In the meantime, we can look at Josh Johnson, who many point to as some great Harbaugh prodigy, who can't even get a backup job in the NFL.

Sorry. I obviously disagree that Harbaugh is something great in talent evaluation. He may be good but he isn't great. Until I see Colin Kaepernick consistently performing at an elite level, I will not be a huge believer in Harbaugh as The Great Quarterback Whisperer. CK still needs a lot of work. He has been here three years now and his touch still lacks quality. He still has flaws in his footwork. I'll just stop there for now.

I agree with this. Kaep has progressed, but I would think it would be much faster if JH was truly a QB whisperer...

i think not having receivers for a majority of the year severely limited what he could do

Why do you feel the need to make excuses for him? I'm not dissing him, bro...

f**k off. excuses? we had one WR all year long, its a fact. the coaches have stated numerous times how limited the playbook is when you dont have receivers. its common sense
Harbaugh has to be the best evaluator of qb talent in the nation. At certain times in his career he has chosen luck smith and kap. The fact that these qbs have success after harbaugh says a lot. I wonder if we could parlay this skill into draft picks? What would other teams give for harbaughs qb advice? a second round pick maybe?

WAY over-stated IMO.

Andrew Luck was the top-rated high school QB in the nation. He chose Stanford for academics as well as for football. He wanted a top-notch education as well as football. IIRC, he earned two degrees in his time there. Stanford, at the urging of alumni, had demanded the university renew emphasis on football to attract the many very bright students who are also very good athletes rather than allowing them to go all over the nation to schools that do not have such an outstanding academic appeal. School admin responded and top scholar/athletes in turn have come to Stanford. Harbaugh, though admittedly having some reputation as a former player, was fortunate to be in charge when Luck came out of HS. I would argue that Luck, whose father was also an NFL QB, was pretty well polished when he arrived at Stanford. He played well in Harbaugh's power running scheme and continued under David Shaw. While he certainly learned more about playing the game, he played very well right from the start. It is worth noting that he also improved under Bruce Arians last year.

Alex Smith began to show markedly better QB play when Mike Johnson replaced Jimmy Raye. Harbaugh, to his credit, recognized that Smith was by far the best option available to the 49ers so he kept him, and Smith responded by taking the team to the NFCCG. Now, Smith, playing in Reid's WCO, a system much different than Harbaugh's power run-based game, just put up his best season capped by a spectacular playoff performance. Though a lot of East Coast writers like to give Harbaugh all the credit, a closer examination shows Harbaugh did not do all that much.

Now we come to Kaepernick and I, among others, believe that if Harbaugh was The Great Quarterback Whisperer Colin Kaepernick would be a much more polished game manager and all-around QB if Harbaugh was really that great. Kaepernick still appears to be getting by on superior athletic ability rather than learned skills and game management ability.

In the meantime, we can look at Josh Johnson, who many point to as some great Harbaugh prodigy, who can't even get a backup job in the NFL.

Sorry. I obviously disagree that Harbaugh is something great in talent evaluation. He may be good but he isn't great. Until I see Colin Kaepernick consistently performing at an elite level, I will not be a huge believer in Harbaugh as The Great Quarterback Whisperer. CK still needs a lot of work. He has been here three years now and his touch still lacks quality. He still has flaws in his footwork. I'll just stop there for now.

I agree with this. Kaep has progressed, but I would think it would be much faster if JH was truly a QB whisperer...

i think not having receivers for a majority of the year severely limited what he could do

f**k off. excuses? we had one WR all year long, its a fact. the coaches have stated numerous times how limited the playbook is when you dont have receivers. its common sense

"Kaep has progressed." Literally the first thing I said aside from I agree. I don't know where all this hostility comes from... I said nothing ill of either of them, only that if JH was the QB whisperer everyone makes him out to be, Kaep would have progressed faster.

What is the deal with this board?

WAY over-stated IMO.

"Kaep has progressed." Literally the first thing I said aside from I agree. I don't know where all this hostility comes from... I said nothing ill of either of them, only that if JH was the QB whisperer everyone makes him out to be, Kaep would have progressed faster.

if you dont like it get the f**k out and stop trolling
first page has no face

WAY over-stated IMO.

Excuse me? I don't understand how I'm trolling... Because I agreed with someone and you got butthurt?
[ Edited by hateradin on Jan 12, 2014 at 12:20 AM ]

WAY over-stated IMO.

Excuse me? I don't understand how I'm trolling... Because I agreed with someone and you got butthurt?
your the one who got all touchy when i brought up one fact about him not having receivers most of the year. i didnt think that was such a big deal and you got all butthurt about it. then i got annoyed with you and i really dont care what you have to say now
[ Edited by hateradin on Jan 12, 2014 at 1:08 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
It wasn't all that hard to see a HS QB that was widely reported to be a unique talent coming out. Same for Andrew Luck. His father, a well connected former NFL player, carefully orchestrated his son's career and chose Stanford in large part for the academics, not just football.

As I said above, and I'll leave it here; Harbaugh is good, not great.

Bull crap. I guess you didn't see what Harbaugh did for Rich Gannon and the Raiders. QB is the hardest position to coach. Only *elite* coaches can coach that position decently. In addition to Kaep, Luck, Josh Johnson, how about adding Alex, and Gannon. Joe Montana took three years to get to the Super Bowl, Kaep did it in his 2nd year. Explain to me how that isn't a friggen miracle only QB whisperers can make?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
PS to DJ43, it's clear you are a strongly opinionionated dude who cant separate opinion from fact. I'm with HondaKiller, I also really don't care what you ave to say. Adios.

Originally posted by Giedi:
It wasn't all that hard to see a HS QB that was widely reported to be a unique talent coming out. Same for Andrew Luck. His father, a well connected former NFL player, carefully orchestrated his son's career and chose Stanford in large part for the academics, not just football.

As I said above, and I'll leave it here; Harbaugh is good, not great.

Bull crap. I guess you didn't see what Harbaugh did for Rich Gannon and the Raiders. QB is the hardest position to coach. Only *elite* coaches can coach that position decently. In addition to Kaep, Luck, Josh Johnson, how about adding Alex, and Gannon. Joe Montana took three years to get to the Super Bowl, Kaep did it in his 2nd year. Explain to me how that isn't a friggen miracle only QB whisperers can make?

Ummm, maybe because Kaep took over a team that had just been to the NFCCG? I mean, this team had been picked to win their division before JH got here... Nobody's saying he's a bad coach (I wonder why everyone assumes the extremes, even when the OP said he thinks JH is a good coach, just like they need to defend Kaep when nothing had was said about him), only that maybe he's not a "QB whisperer."

Maybe I should explain this differently: nobody is saying Kaep is bad, or not the QB of the future, nobody is saying JH is a bad coach and needs to be replaced... All we're saying is it's easier to over rate people you like. Which is why every year, every team is going to win the SB, according to their fans.
[ Edited by hateradin on Jan 12, 2014 at 2:35 PM ]
A QB guru should be able to turn mediocre talent into something at least useable. So they signed Colt McCoy but did everything possible to not have to use him.

So how good is Harbaugh?

I say, "Good, not great."

Considering he's a whopping 1-1 on the year this is a terrible point. You have no idea if he's usable or not.
Change thread title.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Change thread title.

and then there was one
fixed
Share 49ersWebzone