LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 346 users in the forums

Anquan Boldin

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
We lost. By any score, it's too much. The formula for the team didn't work last season. Why would it succeed next season?
''

We need field stretchers but we have also done a relatively poor job getting our WR and TEs ready to contribute at an elite level in the NFL. Sure we drafted and developed Crabtree and Vernon but even they haven't reached their potential after multiple seasons. I think a guy like Boldin that knows how this is done can rub off on the ones we have and the ones we are sure to draft. I think he benefits us both on and off the field. And after what happened to DEN in NYC, I think we should be grateful for our effort vs SEA in SEA!. We came up a bit short and everyone played their part including one Anthony Davis who gave up the end on two turnovers!
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by crake49:
I don't think Boldin is the problem or any kind of negative with respect to the Seahawks. If the Niners had just one serious speed guy on the outside that Seattle corners and safeties had to worry about going over the top, they couldn't play that formation with just Earl Thomas playing deep and Chancellor shading up close. One elite speed guy on the outside to compliment the deep threat of V. Davis on the inside forces the Seahawks out of that defensive formation and actually opens things up a little more for Boldin and Crabtree. They need to force Seattle out of that formation. They can't do it without adding more speed on the outside.

I dont think this is true. Saints, Broncos and other teams hags have played have top speed receivers. That didn't help them, nor did it force seattle to play different kind of coverage. Seattle has shown it has no fear going one-high safety against any offense in the league, and its truly scary. In the current state, the only way to stay close in a game with them is to run the ball patiently. In fact, it is the only pattern in the seattles 2013 games. Nearly any game that was close, the opposing team was able to run the ball.
if you want, I'll attach the same high-safety look against saints and broncos.
The Saints and the Broncos do not have the Niners' defense or their OL. The Colts' TY Hilton had five catches for 140 yards and two key touchdown receptions, including a career long 73 yard touchdown against Seattle. It was his best game, in fact. Lack of offensive speed is the one weakness of the Niners' offense.
Hoping for improvement rather than making it happen is a trap I hope the Niners' FO won't fall into.

You know they won't! Look at our draft and free agency record the last three years! We have drafted studs and signed some very interesting and most of the time key veterans and we've switched QBs in the midst of a great season. We have way too much draft ammo and free agency scenarios to be complacent. That is not HarBaalke MO! We will make some waves this offseason and I see us drafting a lot of quality players on the perimeter both sides of the ball: WRs CBs and S. We know we are close and we know who we have to beat. I think we make that happen!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
We lost. By any score, it's too much. The formula for the team didn't work last season. Why would it succeed next season?
''

We need field stretchers but we have also done a relatively poor job getting our WR and TEs ready to contribute at an elite level in the NFL. Sure we drafted and developed Crabtree and Vernon but even they haven't reached their potential after multiple seasons. I think a guy like Boldin that knows how this is done can rub off on the ones we have and the ones we are sure to draft. I think he benefits us both on and off the field. And after what happened to DEN in NYC, I think we should be grateful for our effort vs SEA in SEA!. We came up a bit short and everyone played their part including one Anthony Davis who gave up the end on two turnovers!

Well, "grateful" works in the real world, but the NFL isn't the real world. A guy like Boldin shouldn't be starting when the Niners already have Crabtree. Boldin would be a great #3, although his continuing on the team will delay Patton's progress.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Feb 16, 2014 at 4:25 PM ]
The Saints and the Broncos do not have the Niners' defense or their OL. The Colts' TY Hilton had five catches for 140 yards and two key touchdown receptions, including a career long 73 yard touchdown against Seattle. It was his best game, in fact. Lack of offensive speed is the one weakness of the Niners' offense.

This is something I would like to see us address. We've tried to in 2012 with AJJ and LMJ. That failed miserably
Well, "grateful" works in the real world, but the NFL isn't the real world. A guy like Boldin shouldn't be starting when you the Niners already have Crabtree. Boldin would be a great #3, although his continuing on the team will delay Patton's progress.

I kind of think we are trying to resign Boldin for the reasons I have stated before as well as he can be a little bit of insurance if Crabtree bolts next summer. I think Crab wants a lot of money and will we be able to afford him? I hope so but in case we can't we still will have Boldin, Patton and whichever rookies we draft. Crab was drafted to be like Boldin in some regards and he will probably come at a lower cost than Crabtree. Of course what do I know, I am just a fan
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by regulator530:
Boldin is a must sing going into the 2014 season for a couple of reasons.

1. If the Niners want to win it all Boldin is a great leader to the team a classy veteran who can mentor Kap going forward
2. He is physical and with the Hawks CB we need a guy like him to get of the line in press coverage
3. Niners suffer on third down and red zone plays he makes a great third down option
4. Great route runner great hands and great attitude make him an essential part to Kaps growth

We had him this past season for three games against Seattle and could do next to nothing with him. I like Boldin, but we need to change our approach to force Seattle to adjust what they do defensively against us. If they had to keep two safeties deep for example to account for a speedy receiver on the outside, with Crabtree opposite, and Boldin in the slot, we can create some mismatches in the passing game and also create more space for our backs to run. Defenders would be fearful of crowding the line of scrimmage because they could potentially be giving up a big place.

What are you talking about, Boldin had close to 100 yards vs Seattle at home, that's where they were letting players play. Instead in Seattle, where they just let their CB's play.

The home advantage for the Seahawks is not going to change. Boldin has proven to be indispensable against lesser defenses. Against the Seahawks in Seattle, we need at least one WR starter with speed (yes, and all the other attributes required of a starter).

Whatever you say, there's a reason the team is in negotiations with him for a multi-year contract, gee I wonder who's right in this event?

Name your starter with speed who is gonna come in right away and take Boldin or Crabtrees spot?? Yes the team does need to add speed, and I have no doubt that they will, but that receiver with speed at best will be the 3rd or the 4th receiver. And will may likely take over for Boldin or Crabtree (if re-signed), he just has to fight off Quiton Patton for the job too. This offense isn't the greatest show on turf (thank god), a speedy receiver isn't asked to be on the field all the time.
I don't believe the Niners' believe as I'm thinking. They're happy with the power running game, with the WRs and TEs blockers first. It's a formula that's proven to get the team into the playoffs, even into the SB, but not winning.

The starter with speed could be Watkins, Beckhem, Moncrief. I don't know and don't care which. But I would urge the FO to prepare that plan and seek out the person they feel will start with Crab by at least mid-season. For instance, if they feel that Watkins is the guy, then develop the trade that gets a pick high enough. Yes, the trade may include a starter like Iupati or Ray McDonald and high picks.
I don't believe the Niners' believe as I'm thinking. They're happy with the power running game, with the WRs and TEs blockers first. It's a formula that's proven to get the team into the playoffs, even into the SB, but not winning.

The starter with speed could be Watkins, Beckhem, Moncrief. I don't know and don't care which. But I would urge the FO to prepare that plan and seek out the person they feel will start with Crab by at least mid-season. For instance, if they feel that Watkins is the guy, then develop the trade that gets a pick high enough. Yes, the trade may include a starter like Iupati or Ray McDonald and high picks.

That is almost SEA like with the move they made for Harvin. We will go for the prize both we have proven way too conservative for such a move!! SEA has the chip though
Boldin is a key piece to our success for next year to win more games then Seattle. If we had Crabtree and Boldin for every game last year we wouldn't have lost to Carolina or Indy in the regular season. Heck we might have only lost 1 or 2 games all year!! Worry less about Seattle and more about us and we'll be fine. And that's what the Niners are doing.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by regulator530:
Boldin is a must sing going into the 2014 season for a couple of reasons.

1. If the Niners want to win it all Boldin is a great leader to the team a classy veteran who can mentor Kap going forward
2. He is physical and with the Hawks CB we need a guy like him to get of the line in press coverage
3. Niners suffer on third down and red zone plays he makes a great third down option
4. Great route runner great hands and great attitude make him an essential part to Kaps growth

We had him this past season for three games against Seattle and could do next to nothing with him. I like Boldin, but we need to change our approach to force Seattle to adjust what they do defensively against us. If they had to keep two safeties deep for example to account for a speedy receiver on the outside, with Crabtree opposite, and Boldin in the slot, we can create some mismatches in the passing game and also create more space for our backs to run. Defenders would be fearful of crowding the line of scrimmage because they could potentially be giving up a big place.

What are you talking about, Boldin had close to 100 yards vs Seattle at home, that's where they were letting players play. Instead in Seattle, where they just let their CB's play.

The home advantage for the Seahawks is not going to change. Boldin has proven to be indispensable against lesser defenses. Against the Seahawks in Seattle, we need at least one WR starter with speed (yes, and all the other attributes required of a starter).

I agree that speed for the niners is badly needed, however, you need leadership like Boldin, he's the closest to Jerry Rice this team has had in a long time. If the Superbowl showed anything, there's only one beat to the Seahawks, you have to run the ball, and control the line of scrimmage, the niners have lost that fight over and over again. The Saints had all kinds of speed, meant nothing. You have to be physical, fast, tough, and smart to beat the Seahawks. In addition to that, the redzone offense totally sucks.

Originally posted by goldlame2013:
I agree that speed for the niners is badly needed, however, you need leadership like Boldin, he's the closest to Jerry Rice this team has had in a long time. If the Superbowl showed anything, there's only one beat to the Seahawks, you have to run the ball, and control the line of scrimmage, the niners have lost that fight over and over again. The Saints had all kinds of speed, meant nothing. You have to be physical, fast, tough, and smart to beat the Seahawks. In addition to that, the redzone offense totally sucks.

Other than Sproles who is used sparingly, who do the Saints have that is incredibly fast? Graham? Colston? Moore? Stills?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Other than Sproles who is used sparingly, who do the Saints have that is incredibly fast? Graham? Colston? Moore? Stills?

Stills is fast going downfield, ran a 4.38 40 but had 20+ WRs perform the 20 yard shuttle better than him, top 10 in broad jump, so his explosiveness is pretty solid.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Stills is fast going downfield, ran a 4.38 40 but had 20+ WRs perform the 20 yard shuttle better than him, top 10 in broad jump, so his explosiveness is pretty solid.

Okay so just one guy whos got speed in the dome. I wouldn't say NO is necessarily a lightening quick offense. Brees throws a ton so it creates the illusion of speedy WRs.
With the deal being inked, what are y'all thinking? 2 yr 12M?
Originally posted by jbeale49:
With the deal being inked, what are y'all thinking? 2 yr 12M?

My guess 3, and it will be front loaded so we can walk away.
Share 49ersWebzone