LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 290 users in the forums

28 NFL Players arrested since the SB - What's wrong with the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets
These stats are the reason why I suggest the NFL extend it from:

17 weeks with a Bye week

-TO-

52 weeks with NO Bye week

It'll keep the NFL players busy from committing crimes and the Niners have a chance to go 52-0 for the first time ever!!

EDIT: Haha...forgot about post season games. Ah, who cares...just skip the playoffs and whichever team has the most victories...wins.
[ Edited by mcbaes72 on Jun 28, 2013 at 8:27 AM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I don't think there is anything wrong w/the NFL. Sure, it could be better but Goodell has definitely been focused on player misconduct.

IMO, it's what's wrong w/society in general. There isn't a simple solution.

It starts w/ the family and then the school systems. Any glorification of criminals and bad behavior adds fuel to the fire.

Not to mention the media covers the negative cases like these so hard that it "seems" like this is the norm for young kids/fans. Sadly, there are going to be a lot of kids who look up to and identify with guys like Dick "Mouth" Sherman and the rest of the pop-offs (PED's, getting into fights, threats, etc.). Then you add in the actual DUI's, drugs, domestic violence, fights at clubs, them being out until 4:am (where nothing good ever happens), assaults, murders, multiple arrests, etc. and ALL with little to no consequences by the NFL, fans start to identify with this behavior/choices and it becomes a "reported" culture like it appears to be today, sadly. Little effort is done by the media to focus on the charity work, great stories, class, character players/people that are involved by these model citizens (unless it's the Ravens Superbowl week). The NFL is creating their own culture and image and the message is, "If you make it to the NFL, you are above reproach."
28 out of 3000 of some of the most aggressive men in sports, is not that high.
Originally posted by kratzer14:
28 out of 3000 of some of the most aggressive men in sports, is not that high.

it's not even 28 people, some have been attested multiple times, like Titus Young
they have too much freedom to do what they want..... i'd probably get into trouble too... maybe a DUI or two.. nothing like murdering someone though lol
they believe they are above the law, i mean Ray Lewis got away with
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Another question is: Is the rate for crime in the NFL actually higher? Or is information simply more accesible nowadays/less hush-hush?

I'm curious to know if anyone keeps this type of data.

This^^^
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
1% of NFL players haven been arrested

national average is 0.6%

thats not that bad considering the history these dudes have or where they came from

DOUBLE the national arrest rate isn't bad for a group of individuals whose MINIMUM SALARY places them in the TOP 1% of ALL EARNERS?
Yeah, they have good reason to commit crimes at that rate. Not that bad.

What is the arrest rate for people 18-24 years old?

ya captain's math is all messed up lol

WOAH, woah, woah... that's not my math. That's modninerfan's math.
Here's some interesting charts: http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-arrests-charts-2013-6
Of course, the elephant in the room is that nearly every player arrested has been bla-sphemously written about in news articles.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here's some interesting charts: http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-arrests-charts-2013-6
Of course, the elephant in the room is that nearly every player arrested has been bla-sphemously written about in news articles.

Captain. I think he was referring to the DOUBLE the national arrest rate, which seems to be your comment.

The national arrest rate is 0.06%. 1% of NFL players haven been arrested.

1% is not double 0,6%. Double would be 1.2%
A couple of points to consider in my opinion, given the relatively (and actually) high incomes of NFL players.

1. I feel that only crimes of violence, or of potential harm to others (such as DUIs or firearm violations), or crimes involving substances prohibited by the league should be considered for this discussion. I don't feel other crimes committed by NFL players bring should warrant additional sanctions from the NFL or their employers.

2. The national arrest rate as a point of reference should be considered a straw man. I would suggest a fairer point of reference would be the national arrest rate for persons legally earning over $100K or $200K. I would also suggest that this is a much lower rate, especially for the limited crimes which I feel should be considered as actionable by the NFL. I think it is fair to say that persons with more than modest incomes have a greater ability to take measures to avoid the places and situations where violence or harm could result (hired drivers, etc.).

Originally posted by buck:

Captain. I think he was referring to the DOUBLE the national arrest rate, which seems to be your comment.

The national arrest rate is 0.06%. 1% of NFL players haven been arrested.

1% is not double 0,6%. Double would be 1.2%

You're right. Details do matter. But I wouldn't accuse myself of reproachable hyperbole for calling 10 twice what 6 is. It's pretty close.
If you ordered a double whisky coke and the bartender poured you 20% extra, you wouldn't say "Hey, that's not a double."
And the terrible analogy award goes to me.

Interestingly enough, the FBI's figures indicate that the national arrest rate has been about 4% (3.9 in 2011 and 4.2 in 2010).
Meanwhile the NFL arrest rate has averaged under 3% over the past decade.
The general percentage of males of NFL age (22-34) who are arrested each year is around 10%.
So NFL players DO get arrested FAR LESS than their non-NFL piers and LESS than the general public.

Yet I would speculate that NFL players get arrested more than the average for those in their income bracket.
I agree with the points Gore_21 and Coldfan made. The NFL today is FAR worse than it was in the 90s and 80s, and forget about the 70s and before. But it's not just because the players randomly became evil. There are society trends behind this, then one big NFL-specific problem at the core of it which I'll mention at the end.

Social trends
* The size of the police apparatus has grown tremendously. More and more government money goes into policing, and there are more and more laws that make ordinary human activities illegal. So inevitably more and more people get arrested, often for things that in a more forgiving or rational culture do not deserve jail time. For example, you play a violent, physical game and your body is aching, you smoke a little weed... Or, you have money problems and get behind in child support payments...

* The population has increased tremendously, as has the amount of poverty and income disparity, since the 70s/80s. That naturally creates more crime, which means there are more people -- WAY more people -- growing up in or around criminal cultures. That whole "thug 4 life" bs.

There are probably other trends people can think of. Stuff like gangster rap though is a reflection, not a cause, of people's living conditions.

The NFL specific problem:
The NCAA is utterly and completely corrupt. Too many colleges in that system will give a "scholarship" to any two-bit illiterate felon, as long as they can run fast and tackle hard. These programs, especially in the SEC, will even cover up their crimes and pay them under the table. Why? Because their otherwise unknown and mediocre colleges get big money from the TV networks. The profit motive has corrupted and destroyed college sports and tainted much of college life, with a few notable exceptions like Stanford or UC Berkeley. But in some places, like Texas, it's even making a joke of their high schools -- it doesn't matter how many cheerleaders get raped, as long as you win the championship. Completely disgusting.

What can the NFL do about the NCAA corruption? Not much really, maybe set up an alternative minor league. I think it would take a Supreme Court decision or a strong president with actual principles to force through some kind of law saying that 'student-athlete' situation is a joke and that either the NCAA should start paying their teams on the NFL pay scale, or all their TV profits will be seized and distributed to all past and former players.

Until that happens, pieces of absolute human trash like serial killer Aaron Hernandez are going to be the norm. Not every player will be as murderous as him of course, but brain-dead criminalized gangsters like him will be (and are) common through the league.
[ Edited by Prospector on Jun 28, 2013 at 11:55 PM ]
Tons of people drive home over the limit.. Just not Enormous men in expensive cars at 3am with eight cars on the road and 6 of them are civilian driven...whew..
Originally posted by Prospector:
I agree with the points Gore_21 and Coldfan made. The NFL today is FAR worse than it was in the 90s and 80s, and forget about the 70s and before. But it's not just because the players randomly became evil. There are society trends behind this, then one big NFL-specific problem at the core of it which I'll mention at the end.

Social trends
* The size of the police apparatus has grown tremendously. More and more government money goes into policing, and there are more and more laws that make ordinary human activities illegal. So inevitably more and more people get arrested, often for things that in a more forgiving or rational culture do not deserve jail time. For example, you play a violent, physical game and your body is aching, you smoke a little weed... Or, you have money problems and get behind in child support payments...

* The population has increased tremendously, as has the amount of poverty and income disparity, since the 70s/80s. That naturally creates more crime, which means there are more people -- WAY more people -- growing up in or around criminal cultures. That whole "thug 4 life" bs.

There are probably other trends people can think of. Stuff like gangster rap though is a reflection, not a cause, of people's living conditions.

The NFL specific problem:
The NCAA is utterly and completely corrupt. Too many colleges in that system will give a "scholarship" to any two-bit illiterate felon, as long as they can run fast and tackle hard. These programs, especially in the SEC, will even cover up their crimes and pay them under the table. Why? Because their otherwise unknown and mediocre colleges get big money from the TV networks. The profit motive has corrupted and destroyed college sports and tainted much of college life, with a few notable exceptions like Stanford or UC Berkeley. But in some places, like Texas, it's even making a joke of their high schools -- it doesn't matter how many cheerleaders get raped, as long as you win the championship. Completely disgusting.

What can the NFL do about the NCAA corruption? Not much really, maybe set up an alternative minor league. I think it would take a Supreme Court decision or a strong president with actual principles to force through some kind of law saying that 'student-athlete' situation is a joke and that either the NCAA should start paying their teams on the NFL pay scale, or all their TV profits will be seized and distributed to all past and former players.

Until that happens, pieces of absolute human trash like serial killer Aaron Hernandez are going to be the norm. Not every player will be as murderous as him of course, but brain-dead criminalized gangsters like him will be (and are) common through the league.

Nice Rant indeed. I do disagree about this quality of people becoming the norm. Don't forget about the whitecollar criminals who need this type of generalizing too... I kid

Point blank the ones who do play "ball" like that and chase the carrots that recruiters wave in front of them they will always have their share. But not everyone isn't taking the bait.
I agree with the points Gore_21 and Coldfan made. The NFL today is FAR worse than it was in the 90s and 80s, and forget about the 70s and before.

I'm sure it's because of the salary. In the 70's a lot of the players had other jobs to support themselves. Now, you sign with an NFL team, it's like winning the lottery. A lot of these players come from nothing, only to become millionaires overnight. It's like being a kid, and having the keys to a candy store handed to you. Look at the cowboys of the 90's, one was arrested or got into some kind of trouble all of the time. You get this mentality that you are now unstoppable.
Share 49ersWebzone