LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 405 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
He's gonna make the team, I'm calling it. Think he'll beat out Dial for the roster spot.

Lol, won't happen
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Serious question because I'm ignorant when it comes to the mechanics and timing of 90-man rosters, 53-man rosters. practice squad eligibility, blah blah blah:

Is there anything that can jeopardize our long-term hold on this guy? Any way teams can steal him? My thinking: Even if it takes him 2-3 years to "learn" football, he would still be a 24 year old freak of nature. We should do literally whatever is necessary to coach this kid up. Hell, send him to an SEC school for two years while maintaining his rights. Is he NCAA-eligible??

LOL! No way you can send him to college after he signed, this isn't the mlb where you have minors. If he wanted to play college ball he could've enrolled in a school and walked on. No way if he shows progress we risk letting him get away
Serious question because I'm ignorant when it comes to the mechanics and timing of 90-man rosters, 53-man rosters. practice squad eligibility, blah blah blah:

Is there anything that can jeopardize our long-term hold on this guy? Any way teams can steal him? My thinking: Even if it takes him 2-3 years to "learn" football, he would still be a 24 year old freak of nature. We should do literally whatever is necessary to coach this kid up. Hell, send him to an SEC school for two years while maintaining his rights. Is he NCAA-eligible??

You cant just stash players away. My guess is he will end up on the practice squad if he shows something. If he shows too much a team could steal him away if the Niners dont keep him on the 53 man roster.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

LOL! No way you can send him to college after he signed, this isn't the mlb where you have minors. If he wanted to play college ball he could've enrolled in a school and walked on. No way if he shows progress we risk letting him get away

Tongue in cheek about the NCAA thing
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

You cant just stash players away. My guess is he will end up on the practice squad if he shows something. If he shows too much a team could steal him away if the Niners dont keep him on the 53 man roster.

Okay so this is what I'm wondering. How does that "stealing" crap work??
Anyone know if he is related to former KC Chief Christian Okoye?
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
He's gonna make the team, I'm calling it. Think he'll beat out Dial for the roster spot.

Lol, won't happen

Longshot to make roster but he isnt beating Dial out.
Originally posted by Sourball:

They called Christian the "Nigerian Nightmare". They might want to call this guy, "The Nigerian is so scary I soiled my shorts".
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

If he knocks Iupati on his ass on the first play of practice, they should stop practice, take him off the field, tell him, "Nice job, but everybody does that." Then take him into the office and tell him that they would like to take a chance and sign him to an 8 year contract for 10 MILLION dollars. He'll think its great and sign.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:

They called Christian the "Nigerian Nightmare". They might want to call this guy, "The Nigerian is so scary I soiled my shorts".

The Oxford tosser

It'll be an interesting story in what looks to be a boring training camp. I'd like to think our roster is too talented for a guy who has never played a down of football to make the squad though
practice squad most likely but maybe he makes the jump next season
Whether he works out or not I bet Jimmy tomsula can't wait to get his hands on this dude. And if he does have NFL talent in him there's nobody better to pull it out than Jim IMO.
[ Edited by KegBert on Apr 27, 2013 at 7:35 PM ]
No relation.
The 49ers are thinking outside the box. Baalke plays the draft like the three dimensional chess board on StarTrek, other teams are playing checkers.
Share 49ersWebzone