LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 277 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Very impressed with what I've seen this season. If he could add a few more rush moves, I'm not sure how you'd stop him. I use to think he was a outside DE, but with his strength we might have to make him a DT in the nickel.
This dude has pure strength, the way he pushes OLinemens around is ridiculous. He went against Collins who many projected as a 1st round talent and just purely put him on skates and pushed him back 5-7 yards every time. He just needs to finish, but I'm impressed with his development. Hopefully we can stash him one more time on the PS, but I know other teams noticing his improvement from year one to now.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by fister30:
Originally posted by cciowa:
How do you not keep this guy around? Honestly, I'd rather have okoye with a steep learning curve than tank or dial. Just like you can't teach speed, you also can't teach that kind of strength.

keep him instead of tank. ok this guy has officially attained nate davis stature in the web zone

Still waiting on tank or dial to show up. As bad as purcell was the last rwo years, at least purcell is having a decent preaseason. Dial finally got pressure on the QB yesterday.

Rushing the passer is not Dial's game. He is an above average run defender. You will barely ever see him in the nickel this year. That's what I love about this years dline....the versatility in their games. Our ability to mix and match this year based on their strengths will be a valued asset in keeping the dline rotation fresh throughout the game.

This is partially why I favor a very raw okoye over a vet like dial and tank. We know dial and tank won't put pressure on the QB in passing situations. They hardly ever do. Our pass rush comes from the OLBs and or a blitz. Okoye can collapse a pocket. Seattle is probably the only run on all three downs type of team we will face. The rams are moving to a more pass friendly offense and the cards will be passing more as long as palmer is healthy. JMO we need a guy who can collapse the pocket from the inside.

Dockett didn't show much last game. Hopefully he can regain some of his old self.

J Smith was slowing down the last couple of years but there is a huge drop off from Ray Mac and J Smith to Dial, Tank, TJE, and Dorsey in passing downs or when teams decide to throw on 1st or 2nd and short.
[ Edited by fister30 on Aug 24, 2015 at 10:48 PM ]
How do you not keep this guy around? Honestly, I'd rather have okoye with a steep learning curve than tank or dial. Just like you can't teach speed, you also can't teach that kind of strength.

keep him instead of tank. ok this guy has officially attained nate davis stature in the web zone

Still waiting on tank or dial to show up. As bad as purcell was the last rwo years, at least purcell is having a decent preaseason. Dial finally got pressure on the QB yesterday.

Rushing the passer is not Dial's game. He is an above average run defender. You will barely ever see him in the nickel this year. That's what I love about this years dline....the versatility in their games. Our ability to mix and match this year based on their strengths will be a valued asset in keeping the dline rotation fresh throughout the game.

This is partially why I favor a very raw okoye over a vet like dial and tank. We know dial and tank won't put pressure on the QB in passing situations. They hardly ever do. Our pass rush comes from the OLBs and or a blitz. Okoye can collapse a pocket. Seattle is probably the only run on all three downs type of team we will face. The rams are moving to a more pass friendly offense and the cards will be passing more as long as palmer is healthy. JMO we need a guy who can collapse the pocket from the inside.

Dockett didn't show much last game. Hopefully he can regain some of his old self.

J Smith was slowing down the last couple of years but there is a huge drop off from Ray Mac and J Smith to Dial, Tank, TJE, and Dorsey in passing downs.

Did you really call dial and tank vets
Originally posted by teylo31:

J Smith was slowing down the last couple of years but there is a huge drop off from Ray Mac and J Smith to Dial, Tank, TJE, and Dorsey in passing downs.

How many years does it take? Who cares is they were hurt, benched or a combination thereof? They both been in the league for 3 years.
[ Edited by fister30 on Aug 24, 2015 at 10:52 PM ]
Originally posted by teylo31:

How many years does it take? Who cares is they were hurt, benched or a combination thereof?

They probably still have their combine jockstraps. I agree with you though that i hope okoye can do well but to say you want him over cutting tank or dial is a bit much

Okoye stuffing the run

The british bulldog bullrushing to the QB
In the strength department Okoye reminds me of Michael Carter.
Originally posted by Team49ers:

Okoye stuffing the run

Collapsing the pocket, hits on the QB, playing off blocks to make tackles on the RB, etc. This is EXACTLY what you want from your DE's. We're not asking for anything more from AA, Dial, Dorsey, etc. Anything after that is just golden. But their primary job is to stuff the run, occupy OL for stunts (Dial/Harold) and move the OL to force the QB into uncomfortable positions that lead to TO's...like AA did with the Pick-6 to Purcell and near INT to McCray/Johnson.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 25, 2015 at 9:00 AM ]

Our Creator created a beautiful man.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalniner:
Our Creator created a beautiful man.
someone has to keep the practice squad alive every year
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
In the strength department Okoye reminds me of Michael Carter.

Carter still has the high school record in the shot put, set 36 years ago. No one has been closer than 4 feet of his 81 foot record. The most dominant record in all of track and field. Carter had unmatched power.
Only 23 years old,im sure this beast of a man will be an NFL player one day and make his dream come true

Stronger than the Hulk
There has got to be a way to get this man on the roster...even if inactive a lot. What a waste to see this guy go to some other team after 2+ years of US developing him for some other roster.

Question: I know he's loyal to us but if moved to the PS and a team nabs him for their 53, can he refuse or does he have to go?
Share 49ersWebzone