LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 151 users in the forums

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
It is kind of funny that all 3 receivers that worked out with Kap are barely hanging on to a job but then you gotta remember who those 3 were. Ricardo Lockette, Chad Hall, and AJ f**king Jenkins :-(

i still like chad hall lol a cheaper edelman
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Apr 8, 2014 at 3:01 PM ]
Cant wait to see what J. Haurdeball does this year with Patton
It is kind of funny that all 3 receivers that worked out with Kap are barely hanging on to a job but then you gotta remember who those 3 were. Ricardo Lockette, Chad Hall, and AJ f**king Jenkins :-(

And Jenkins only did it half-assed, showed up late and left early.

I like Patton's eagerness. He's the kind of player that may not be incredibly gifted but makes up for it in determination, a la Rice.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Lol, versatile too (I could have sworn we played him on defense this past preseason).

Anyways, I can't wait to see what Patton can do with a year in the system under his belt. That catch in the Falcons game was a thing of beauty. Game was on the line and he came through for us. Played the ball perfectly, played the db perfectly, and even played the sideline perfectly.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Lol, versatile too (I could have sworn we played him on defense this past preseason).

Anyways, I can't wait to see what Patton can do with a year in the system under his belt. That catch in the Falcons game was a thing of beauty. Game was on the line and he came through for us. Played the ball perfectly, played the db perfectly, and even played the sideline perfectly.

You mean the cardinals game, but yeah this is a big year for patton
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like Patton, but I see him as strictly a #3. He could improve, though.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

I think if he can stay healthy he will be a very solid #2.

Originally posted by DeUh:

Almost all of his highlights came from the slot. I know we ask our WR's to learn every position (X, Y & Z) the first year but I feel he could be potent in the slot on a regular basis. I loved the reverse and quick WR screen. Get him the ball quickly and let him work.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 9, 2014 at 7:56 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Almost all of his highlights came from the slot. I know we ask our WR's to learn every position (X, Y & Z) the first year but I feel he could be potent in the slot on a regular basis. I loved the reverse and quick WR screen. Get him the ball quickly and let him work.

Having him strictly as a slot guy is fine with me. It would be nice to see him become our #2 guy, but I think that might be wishful thinking.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Having him strictly as a slot guy is fine with me. It would be nice to see him become our #2 guy, but I think that might be wishful thinking.

You know, we really need the beef out there esp. in this offense. Little, skinny guys like Manningham, Williams and Jenkins just got abused out there. Patton inside, free and clean off the LOS would be magic IMHO. He also runs a 4.4 so you could line him up outside if you want to take some deep shots. But the big bodies are big for us not only b/c of all the press we face but b/c we need them to block on the edges in both the run and passing game. This is why I think we'll draft Moncrief or Benjamin to be groomed behind Crabtree and Boldin. And the "speed guy" everyone talks about? He's going to have to be a 4.2 guy with dynamic return abilities. Period. He'll be a "package WR" used once in a while on the outside, from the slot, on fly sweeps, reverses, etc. but primarily the return guy.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 9, 2014 at 8:22 AM ]

Patton did line up outside some last season and he got abused. Constantly getting tossed especially against Seattle. Having him try to block against that defense was suicide.

I'm not saying he's he's not going to be a good player, and personally think he's going to surprise a lot of people next season. Non 49ers fans at least. I just think he's entirely way too small to paly outside.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Patton did line up outside some last season and he got abused. Constantly getting tossed especially against Seattle. Having him try to block against that defense was suicide.

I'm not saying he's he's not going to be a good player, and personally think he's going to surprise a lot of people next season. Non 49ers fans at least. I just think he's entirely way too small to paly outside.

Truth.

Truth.

Agreed too... He essentially replaces Manningham and Willliams, but not Crabs or Boldiin long term.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Truth.

Agreed too... He essentially replaces Manningham and Willliams, but not Crabs or Boldiin long term.

This is where I start to question personnel moves by our coaching staff. Aren't THEY supposed to know the strengths and weakness of our players? In our offense specifically, why would you put guys like Manningham, Jenkins, Kyle Williams and Patton out at the X & Z spots primarily? Crabtree on a corner fade? How about Boldin more from the slot esp. in the RZ? We all know about the lack of targets for the 3rd receiver (Miller) down...less than 1 pass a game average (if any at all). This coaching staff IMHO has a long ways to go in terms of utilizing proper personnel against certain defenses; and developing proper offensive talent. I hope this off season they are genuine in their efforts to get everyone involved in the passing game more and continue to evolve here.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 9, 2014 at 11:08 AM ]
I think Patton would be a fine slot receiver, but I don't think that's his ceiling. I do believe he has starter potential and comes in the mold of a guy like Robert Woods, one of last year's top rookies. I think Patton actually has quicker foot speed than Woods, but might be a tad (and it's by very little) slower, although both are 4.4 players.
Share 49ersWebzone