There are 216 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Look at yall.

Dude had 10 catches for 112 yards against the #1 Defense... in a playoff game.

Yet yall are going out of your way to downplay his production? Hahahaha bu..bu...but why?

B/c they are butthurt we got rid of a potentially good Balkee player

Maybe or it's just in their nature.

Seems that's how it is now a days...choose a side.

Some brought up Kittle in this thread... I'm just because I don't hate on Vance doesn't mean I don't like Kittle more. If I had the choice between them two... I'd take Kittle. As a back up... I might take Celek over Vance because of availability and dependability.

But if I were starting a franchise with no TE.. I'd take Vance over Celek...and a number of other TEs.... based off Vance's potential and natural ablity.

As far as Baalke... same thing.... either sucks or he doesn't for them all the sudden.... no middle ground. Hate hate hate...lol. Times we live in.

And I don't even care for Baalke after forcing that 2015 Oline on our offense. Devey, Martin, and Pears.
I'd understand this if this were 2013 or 2014. But in 2018, we shouldn't be talking about Vance's potential. He is who he is. If he could produce those big plays on a regular basis, he'd be All Pro. But he's been in the league 5 years now. Unless he is the Rich Gannon of tight ends, it isn't happening.

I hear ya... but like I said in the previous page... if the Steelers are going to trust him and give him so many passes in their most important game of the season.... while not giving the rock in those situations to AllPros like Brown or Bell....as well as playmakers like Juju and Bryant.

He must be doing something right in practice. He came through for them in a playoff game.
Sure you're not talking about Antonio Brown?

Vance went out of bounds on two occasions. He did his part.

Yall go ahead and hate and give attention to someone who is supposedly garbage.

Nope, he caught two passes in a row. The first went for 12 yards and 22 seconds went off the clock. He stayed inbounds.

The next play was to him for 16 yards and it took 7 seconds off the clock, he went out of bounds.

Look at the play summary for that drive.
Look at yall.

Dude had 10 catches for 112 yards against the #1 Defense... in a playoff game.

Yet yall are going out of your way to downplay his production? Hahahaha bu..bu...but why?

B/c they are butthurt we got rid of a potentially good Balkee player

Maybe or it's just in their nature.

Seems that's how it is now a days...choose a side.

Some brought up Kittle in this thread... I'm just because I don't hate on Vance doesn't mean I don't like Kittle more. If I had the choice between them two... I'd take Kittle. As a back up... I might take Celek over Vance because of availability and dependability.

But if I were starting a franchise with no TE.. I'd take Vance over Celek...and a number of other TEs.... based off Vance's potential and natural ablity.

As far as Baalke... same thing.... either sucks or he doesn't for them all the sudden.... no middle ground. Hate hate hate...lol. Times we live in.

And I don't even care for Baalke after forcing that 2015 Oline on our offense. Devey, Martin, and Pears.

Yeah that line was really rough. And who was the LG? Boone?
Afrikan is that dude in your fantasy league who puts in 10 waiver wire requests each week for those players who have one big week and then get 2 targets week in and week out, and disappear into obscurity for the rest of the season. Fools gold.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. McDonald had some nice plays this past weekend in garbage time, but he's still McDonald. He still sucks, just like he has the last 4 years. And he will continue to suck. Just another s**tty Baalke pick. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Anyone defending the McDonald pick must have forgotten that Kelce was still available.
Originally posted by Scottie15:
Afrikan is that dude in your fantasy league who puts in 10 waiver wire requests each week for those players who have one big week and then get 2 targets week in and week out, and disappear into obscurity for the rest of the season. Fools gold.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. McDonald had some nice plays this past weekend in garbage time, but he's still McDonald. He still sucks, just like he has the last 4 years. And he will continue to suck. Just another s**tty Baalke pick. Nothing more, nothing less.

I was seated at the 30 yard line at the Stick when he dropped what could have been a game clinching pass against the Panthers in 2013. That would have been the only good play that happened right in front of me the entire game and he blew it.

#NeverForget

That trucking of Richard Sherman on SNF was nice, but not enough.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Jan 16, 2018 at 10:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Furlow:
Anyone defending the McDonald pick must have forgotten that Kelce was still available.

yeah well how many teams each passed on Kelce multiple times. It's just a poor argument.

yeah well how many teams each passed on Kelce multiple times. It's just a poor argument.

It's actually not a poor argument at all. Only three teams other than us passed on Kelce and drafted a tight end before him. So 28 NFL teams passing on him for other positions is completely irrelevant.

The three other teams that passed on him aside from us were the Cowboys, Eagles and Bengals.

The Eagles and Bengals both drafted a TE in the first round. They got Tyler Eiffert and Zack Ertz...both which have made Pro Bowls. I like Kelce better than both of them, but at least they were solid picks. The Cowboys whiffed on their tight end pick, and he was out of football before this season. But even still, Gavin Escobar has the same amount of touchdowns as Vance does even with not playing since 2016.

Sorry XF....it is absolutely a valid argument to make. We drafted a bust and a top 3 tight end in all of football (conservatively), was drafted right afterwards. The criticism is absolutely valid.
Kittle>Vance, the end.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Only one team picked a TE right before Kelce. The Niners.

the next TE to go was Pro Bowl TE Kelce, and the one after was Pro Bowl TE Jordan Reed

and the one after that was Dion Sims in 4th rd, who has more catches (89 )than Vance (78)

after that was the last pick in the 4th rd Levine Toilolo (only 4 career catches (74)less than Vance (78)

after that the next TE was Luke Wilson in 5th round (who has more catches 87, than Vance)

Nick Kasa went next in 6th rd and has only 1 career catch

the next TE was also 6th round, Mychal Rivera (146 career receptions)

the next TE was a 6th rd supplemental pick , Ryan Griffin (112 receptions)

the next TE was in 7th rd , Michael Williams , ( 3 career reception)

every other TE in 7th rd was also not very productive
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
the next TE to go was Pro Bowl TE Kelce, and the one after was Pro Bowl TE Jordan Reed

and the one after that was Dion Sims in 4th rd, who has more catches (89 )than Vance (78)

after that was the last pick in the 4th rd Levine Toilolo (only 4 career catches (74)less than Vance (78)

after that the next TE was Luke Wilson in 5th round (who has more catches 87, than Vance)

Nick Kasa went next in 6th rd and has only 1 career catch

the next TE was also 6th round, Mychal Rivera (146 career receptions)

the next TE was a 6th rd supplemental pick , Ryan Griffin (112 receptions)

the next TE was in 7th rd , Michael Williams , ( 3 career reception)

every other TE in 7th rd was also not very productive

This is the worst part to me. The guy who was a #2 tight end in college who was BEHIND Vance on said college team's depth chart, was drafted in the 5th round and has outplayed Vance in every measurable way/statistic.

Yet somehow, its me who is being a hater and overly critical of Vance.
One of the most physically gifted TEs in the league IMO. Bigger, faster, stronger, etc.. than most, but seemed to be missing something.

He's got his issues with drops for sure, but maybe in the right offense he could be a bigger part of the offense.
Originally posted by HomerJ:
One of the most physically gifted TEs in the league IMO. Bigger, faster, stronger, etc.. than most, but seemed to be missing something.

He's got his issues with drops for sure, but maybe in the right offense he could be a bigger part of the offense.

It's been 5 years. ...
I liked Vance but not at all for that contract. Pretty awesome that we were able to get rid of it. 7 mil a year extra helps a lot.
Share 49ersWebzone