LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 149 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
This guy will be supplanted by Kittle after OTA's are all said and done. I thought this guy would be a player once we drafted him. Injuries have plagued him quite a bit, but he has shown some flashed of being a good player here and there. The contact is the sole reason we couldn't move him, but hey, if he manages to stay healthy this year then we'll have two weapons at tight end. Not a bad thing here.
Flashy and needs to be solid.

Engagement and Intensity need step ups.
Big Mac has a drop problem, but with put the numbers in front of me, it seemed like most of his drops were Kap's bullets. He seemed to handle Gabbert's gently tossed pies just fine, Im curious to see what Hoyer serves up, and if Mac can hold on to them.
yes certain TE play better with certain QBs.
  • thl408
@ 3:28

Talking about the role of the TEs in this offense, he says that they (TEs) are the guys in command of the WR corp. That sounds interesting.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
I won't insult you the way you did me.
However, do you not understand that they couldn't drop his ass to another team because of his contract?
Also, "a team contacted us"...
Hmmmm, that sounds way better to Vance and the other players on the team then saying, "we shopped Vance and couldn't move him due to his inflated salary".

Btw... I've followed the team and have been in this forum longer then your ass

Kyle explained another team inquired about him first...piqued their interest...and then they contracted other teams (to drive up the trade if possible; see if they could get into a bidding war). Shoot, rumors are we did the same behind the scenes with Kaepernick. This happens all the time...unfortunately somebody leaked it.

My point is we really don't know who initiated trade talks. I think it would be foolish for Kyle to admit that he initiated talks, and it made more sense to say he got contacted first,
especially with a draft so loaded with TE talent.
Hey, I want all our players to work out and be great, but reality is, Vance can't stay on the field healthy and hasn't been very productive to be given the contract he was given.
And if he wasn't awarded the contract he just got, he could have possibly been released.
Speculation of course.
Go Niners!
the trade within a trade is like a wheel within a wheel.
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
the trade within a trade is like a wheel within a wheel.

Intradeception
"It wasn't like they don't want me here. There was never a lack of communication on any level."

After speaking with McDonald after the second day of the draft, Shanahan met with him in person in Santa Clara three days later. McDonald said he appreciated how Shanahan handled the situation.

"He's been in a draft room for 48 hours at that point," McDonald said. "I'm sure he was worn out and he's calling me on his way home. The first thing I told him was 'Man, there's not a lot of coaches that would do this.'"

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Best-man-McDonald-discusses-near-divorce-from-11169898.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop
Originally posted by Ryanoceros:
This guy will be supplanted by Kittle after OTA's are all said and done. I thought this guy would be a player once we drafted him. Injuries have plagued him quite a bit, but he has shown some flashed of being a good player here and there. The contact is the sole reason we couldn't move him, but hey, if he manages to stay healthy this year then we'll have two weapons at tight end. Not a bad thing here.

Hell naw. If Vance on his 5th year as a player gets beat out by a 5th round rookie that early then he has no business even being on the team with a contract like that.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
@ 3:28

Talking about the role of the TEs in this offense, he says that they (TEs) are the guys in command of the WR corp. That sounds interesting.

Are TE's the new running backs in a pass happy NFL league? In the Old days with the Raiders and the 49ers, running backs like Marve Hubbard and Delvin Williams were the main cogs on offens - it seems to me with all the rule changes - the fullback/TE/Wr guy is now the main workhorses in Kyles new offense. When the FB goes out on pass route (on a 3 wide formation), I don't see that any different than being in a 4 wide spread attack, in the sense that the fullback/TE is that 4th "WR." I just think that when the FB/TE lines up in the backfield or at the end of the line, the formation is much more difficult from a defensive standpoint to figure out whether it's a pass or a run play. Kittle has WR speed at 4.52/40 - he's going to be a very interesting player to watch in pre-season considering Vance hasn't developed as fast as I though he would.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Big Mac has a drop problem, but with put the numbers in front of me, it seemed like most of his drops were Kap's bullets. He seemed to handle Gabbert's gently tossed pies just fine, Im curious to see what Hoyer serves up, and if Mac can hold on to them.

Golitta, have to admit i wondered that sometimes, if vance had trouble with the bullet at 6 yards. Have nothing to prove it but did wonder about it. Neither QB was worth a rip, but vance seemed to have trouble with the "heaters",

Neither Qb was alll that accurate, but Kap's passes just got there sooner.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 25, 2017 at 6:39 AM ]

Seems like a team inquired about Vance in a trade, then SF called around to see if there was a market for the guy (trying to increase capital) we're a 2-14 team and draft capital is gold....people can construe it to that SF doesn't want him or he's gonna get cut, but just judge off the article that doesn't seem to be what happened.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I won't insult you the way you did me.
However, do you not understand that they couldn't drop his ass to another team because of his contract?
Also, "a team contacted us"...
Hmmmm, that sounds way better to Vance and the other players on the team then saying, "we shopped Vance and couldn't move him due to his inflated salary".

Btw... I've followed the team and have been in this forum longer then your ass

Kyle explained another team inquired about him first...piqued their interest...and then they contracted other teams (to drive up the trade if possible; see if they could get into a bidding war). Shoot, rumors are we did the same behind the scenes with Kaepernick. This happens all the time...unfortunately somebody leaked it.

My point is we really don't know who initiated trade talks. I think it would be foolish for Kyle to admit that he initiated talks, and it made more sense to say he got contacted first,
especially with a draft so loaded with TE talent.
Hey, I want all our players to work out and be great, but reality is, Vance can't stay on the field healthy and hasn't been very productive to be given the contract he was given.
And if he wasn't awarded the contract he just got, he could have possibly been released.
Speculation of course.
Go Niners!

One thing ShanaLynch has been since arriving here is honest and transparent. If Kyle said a team called to inquire about Vance, then I believe him. If he said it then opened their eyes to reach out to other teams to see what his "value" is, I believe him. And why not? It was a deep TE draft, we just signed Paulsen, so if someone is willing to pony up big, use that tool to add strength to other areas (extra draft pick/money). You are taking an exploratory look into a players value way too far here IMHO. About the only player ShanaLynch probably wouldn't even take a call on is Bowman...and ironically, even HE had a rumor tied to him. As a FO, they are ALWAYS exploring the value of their own players. Always. Don't read too much into that.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Seems like a team inquired about Vance in a trade, then SF called around to see if there was a market for the guy (trying to increase capital) we're a 2-14 team and draft capital is gold....people can construe it to that SF doesn't want him or he's gonna get cut, but just judge off the article that doesn't seem to be what happened.

Exactly. So silly...
Share 49ersWebzone