LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 127 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
His name doesnt sound cool enough yet
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Yes considering his measurables we should make clones and just coach him up at all positions. Because long arms, benchpress, and 40x predict hall of fame careers. If or safety doesn't work out our gets hurt sure we could just plug him in...

We get it, you're upset about the player and are convinced he's going to be a "turrible" TE.........do you have anything else besides negativity to contribute to this thread????
Initially I was sceptical of this pick, but that was mainly because I didn't know much about him. The more I read and think about it the more I think it was a good pick!

It seems he is a more accomplished blocker than Walker was when he came into the league. If he can be a similar player by his 2nd year (even first?) then we will have someone who gives us a lot of options on a cheap contract.

Just looking at his measurables he looks like has the potential to become a complete, maybe dominant, TE
I hope he is a MEAN, nasty guy that likes to cause pain and score points.

BTW, Need4Speed - Are you a Seahawk plant?
Originally posted by bdub2588:
That's not incredibly uncommon at his weight level, but considering how long his arms are its pretty good. Its his movement skills at that size. And, ultimately, his lower body surge might predominately be where power lies.

You guys are crazy. I realize he's 270 lbs but dang 31 reps is still uncommon for a TE. Rob Gronkowski is an absolute monster and IMO looks bigger than McDonald and he put up 23 or 24 reps at the combine if I remember correctly. 31 reps is up there with lineman and is incredibly uncommon considering how long his arms are and the fact that he's a TIGHT END

Guess I have to edit and say its an uncommon trait for any team NOT named the 49ers! Our TE's are beasts!
[ Edited by NinerG94 on May 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
We get it, you're upset about the player and are convinced he's going to be a "turrible" TE.........do you have anything else besides negativity to contribute to this thread????

Lol I think he is an "alright" prospect. I think we reached but I don't hate him. If he is going to be good I think it will be in a couple years not this year. I think it's funny how unrealistic the expectations are for a guy who has proven little. The assumptions are almost completely based on his "practice in shorts." One of the common things being stated is "man he will be a red zone threat." I thought he had 4 touchdowns last year. I was wrong he had 2 he was tied for 4th on his team in TD receptions with the third string TE. If he wasn't considered a redzone target on the RICE owls why are we thinking he will be one for us? This to me is a common sense question not assuming he will be "turrible". My reaction is one in response to the wonderland analysis of our fellow faithful.

Positives+++ He will lock onto defenders with long arms and 4 years of stalk blocking. Put him on a play blocking down field with Crab and Bolden is absolutely scary. He will destroy some defenders blocking in space. He understands how to use his body to block out on sit down routes. Big hitters in the secondary will not punish him, He is just too big too fast he will be a great fourth quarter while ahead target when we are looking to punish the defense with running and hard hitting. Falls forward every play gaining extra yardage and carrying defenders. Understand complex zone schemes and is a smart player. Will find soft spots in zone coverage. Seems to be in the right place at the right time consistently. Never see him making mental mistakes.

Negatives--- Does not get separation against man coverage. Does not use leverage blocking and is used to tracking smaller players while blocking verses In-line blocking.(good news is D.Walker was rarely used as an in-line blocker on the strong side of a play.) Hands are not good and despite his size has a problems holding onto the ball. Most of his yards and production came in spread and frequently ran bubble screens. We will not be giving him 4 bubble screens a game. Doesn't shake defenders doesn't break many tackles despite impressive yac.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
You wanna site your "analysis"? I've read a few bits on him too and am pretty confident I can regurgitate exactly what you said, but you don't have the slightest bit of context unless you were a fan of Rice and watched them play frequently. Again, I'm going to have to side with Harbaugh (who built TE University at Stanford) and Baalke on this one.

What makes you think they consider him a starter as our 2nd TE? My analysis is my own, I have seen 4 games vance played, I wasn't taking notes or anything silly. It's just what I remember from the games. I had to watch some highlights to recall them as I do normally. Honestly I wasn't very impressed but to be honest all the games I watched the team "Rice" struggled.
[ Edited by Need4Speed on May 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM ]
Because Vernon is still on the roster.

They moved up in the second round to grab him. They clearly targeted him and he has Harbaugh all giddy. Truth be told, I have no idea how he's going to do this year, but he certainly has potential and this staff has excelled with raw potential.

I wish I could find a complete replay of the rice vs louisiana tech I was impressed by General Patton he had a huge game and Vance had a real up and down game. If I remember right he had a touch down and fumble. But either way I don't disagree that he has a chance for huge upside. I honestly thought the same of Kentwaan Balmer. But There is alot of work needed and he has the right mentality for it. I will wait and see.
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
You wanna site your "analysis"? I've read a few bits on him too and am pretty confident I can regurgitate exactly what you said, but you don't have the slightest bit of context unless you were a fan of Rice and watched them play frequently. Again, I'm going to have to side with Harbaugh (who built TE University at Stanford) and Baalke on this one.

What makes you think they consider him a starter as our 2nd TE?

Because Vernon is still on the roster.

They moved up in the second round to grab him. They clearly targeted him and he has Harbaugh all giddy. Truth be told, I have no idea how he's going to do this year, but he certainly has potential and this staff has excelled with raw potential.

This. I would've thought drafting a TE in the 2nd rounder is a clear indication that see him as the number 2 TE.
This is going to be fun to see how he does in the offense. Remember VD, Mr. Hands of Stone? That dude worked his butt off and I have no doubt, VD is going to take him under his own wing and ensure he catches everything, blocks correctly and even learns a thing or two about art. LOL. That said, McDonald has a ton to learn about OUR offense and his role will be VERY complicated at first...he needs to learn how to line up out of the Q, with the OL, out at WR, routes, wham blocks, goal line, etc. But he's going to learn quickly behind VD and with this coaching staff who tend to coach in increments; slow installations.

If I could "Predict" how every selection would do I'd be on the 49er staff. I vcan't do it and neither can anyone else.

Based on where we picked him and movig up to get him - it's pretty logical that he'd be our 2nd TE.

That said, if I could predict anything I would have won all my bets and have high-priced call girls visiting me twice a day.

That's my fantasy football.

He also made Andrew Luck
Just some food for thought on Vance since he's being compared to Gronk.....

""Yahoo Sports' Michael Silver reported McDonald was the tight end the 49ers wanted all along, over Ertz, and could give San Francisco even more offensive options. Silver wrote it's a move "that could allow San Francisco to feature a Patriots-style, two-tight-end passing circus" in conjunction with Davis.""

Vance
6'4" - 267 lbs
34.375 - Arm Length
10.125 - Hand Size
4.69 - Forty
33.5 - Vert
9'11" - Broad
4.53 - Short Shuttle
7.08 - 3 Cone
31 - Reps at 225

Gronk
6'6" - 258 lbs
34.25 - Arm Length
10.75 - Hand Size
4.68 - Forty
33.5 - Vert
9'11" - Broad
4.47 - Short Shuttle
7.18 - 3 Cone
23 - Reps at 225

hmmmmmmmmmmm.....eerily similar.

Sources

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/vance-mcdonald?id=2540215
http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/2010/03/27/rosenhaus-gronkowski-a-first-rounder-after-impressive-workout/

Now we could only DREAM he's half as good as Gronk, but the raw material is there and the coaching staff is in place. Also, with Crabs, Boldin, Vern and our shifty RB's, Vance should get plenty of 1 on 1's with the weakest link on the opposing teams. Im excited to see if he can make it happen.

Walker caught 19-198-3TD in 2011 and 21-344-3TD in 2012. I think Vance has a great shot of besting those numbers. Now if Vance can provide some of the blocking Walker did, we have ourselves and upgrade in 2013 and MASSIVE potential moving forward!
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This. I would've thought drafting a TE in the 2nd rounder is a clear indication that see him as the number 2 TE.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
If I could "Predict" how every selection would do I'd be on the 49er staff. I vcan't do it and neither can anyone else.

Based on where we picked him and movig up to get him - it's pretty logical that he'd be our 2nd TE.

That said, if I could predict anything I would have won all my bets and have high-priced call girls visiting me twice a day.

That's my fantasy football.

Hmmm I kinda felt the same way last year with AJ Jenkins... But you know what happened there. Long story short he has potential let's see if he can play, I have my doubts it translates well to the pro-game but I'll be happy to be wrong.
[ Edited by Need4Speed on May 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM ]
Is Vance an upgrade over Walker? A second rounder that is very raw, probably not, but give this kid a year or two to better develop his skills and we could have a monster on our hands. I see people talking about his questionable hands, are you kidding me? How many footballs did Walker drop or fumble over the years? Delanie was a key part of the offense last year because of the teams lack of passing weapons outside of Crabtree and Vernon. This team does not need Vance to be as big of a part of the offense as Delanie was because Boldin and Hopefully Manningham, Jenkins and Patton emerge as threats.
Share 49ersWebzone