LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 381 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
I am glad we got Vance McD, but we really missed the boat on Mike Hawk and Buster Hymen.

Don't forget Hugh G. Rekshun as well
Originally posted by Joecool:
Im just happy we have a possible redzone mismatch at the TE position solely base on size.

Yes his 4 touchdowns his senior year shows how he dominates the 5 9 cb's he faces in a mid major conference Oh wait 4 touchdowns aint that much. Hmmm maybe we just wanting him to be better than he has been. I know one thing he is good at, he is good at dropping passes and stalk blocking. Stop reading combine numbers and watching highlights to evaluate if a guy can play. Watch one game and you won't be so koolaid about a guy that was a 4th option on a bad team.
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Im just happy we have a possible redzone mismatch at the TE position solely base on size.

Yes his 4 touchdowns his senior year shows how he dominates the 5 9 cb's he faces in a mid major conference Oh wait 4 touchdowns aint that much. Hmmm maybe we just wanting him to be better than he has been. I know one thing he is good at, he is good at dropping passes and stalk blocking. Stop reading combine numbers and watching highlights to evaluate if a guy can play. Watch one game and you won't be so koolaid about a guy that was a 4th option on a bad team.

You do notice rice isn't exactly a power house in football and the talent around him was lacking, like most of baalke's pick its about the potential and our staff unlocking it
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

McDonald is all about potential, clearly there's something there as both him AND his backup got drafted while many top schools ended up with their TE as an UDFA. The guy is extremely versatile, he lined up pretty much everywhere for Rice, yes, he needs to improve as a blocker, but that goes for virtually every single TE in the draft. At 6'4" and 270, this guy is an absolute beast in the open-field, for a team that values YAC, McDonald is a guy who brings that in spades, he's well developed as a route runner and considering the 49ers just went from Delanie Walker, who by far led the NFL in drops percentage, I fail to see how McDonald could be worse than that.

Ultimately he's a nice big body, he's a nice red-zone threat and if the 49ers scouts wanted him above guys like Kelce....then they obviously see that he can be a damn good player in the NFL with the right coaching. Typical Baalke player, huge upside, needs to be coached up, intelligent and versatile.

2 years from now, nobody will be complaining this pick IMO, he's going to become a tremendous red-zone weapon for the 49ers and will develop to be a very good blocker as well.

Lol glad you know more than our GM.
I think he can make a decent #2 tight end.

He will have to compete with Celek.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
People will stop with the Eifert nonsense once Reid turns out to be an absolute stud at safety.

I hope so. I also hope he turns out to be better than Cyprien since we coulda had both.

Watched every snap he played against Texas, Baylor, and Houston... all ranked at the time he played them, still drinking the cool aid. Maybe you should go watch Delanie's first couple years on the niners, players develop. DW was just a fast big WR moved to tight end with bad hands, fumbleitis, and crappy blocking before this coaching staff got ahold of him, now he is a #1 TE. Also this kid blew up the senior bowl against other top players, had some drops but was solid overall.
[ Edited by 5280High on Apr 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:

Watched every snap he played against Texas, Baylor, and Houston... all ranked at the time he played them, still drinking the cool aid. Maybe you should go watch Delanie's first couple years on the niners, players develop. DW was just a fast big WR moved to tight end with bad hands, fumbleitis, and crappy blocking before this coaching staff got ahold of him, now he is a #1 TE. Also this kid blew up the senior bowl against other top players, had some drops but was solid overall.

Vernon davis was a borderline bust his first couple years and had major stone hands...now look at him. This kid deserves a couple years to develop.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
LOVE his fries!

I prefer his buns
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Apr 30, 2013 at 3:05 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
LOVE his fries!

I prefer his buns

I sense the nickname "Big Mac" coming into this conversation...
Originally posted by 5280High:
LOVE his fries!

I prefer his buns

I sense the nickname "Big Mac" coming into this conversation...

How about McTouchdown
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This may not seem like a big deal, but if this guy can come in and be our long snapper, it will be huge. There are going to be some solid players that we will be cutting this year, so every spot on that 53 man roster is important.
Good point. I agree.
Vernon davis was a borderline bust his first couple years and had major stone hands...now look at him. This kid deserves a couple years to develop.

I would argue that his hands can still be suspect sometimes. The natural "sticky hand" is not a learned trait IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone