There are 143 users in the forums

Craig Dahl

Shop 49ers game tickets
I think this signing pushes S up the list on our draft priorities.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Yes, he's terribly slow: Dahl 40 time: 4.53; Goldson 40 time: 4.61

Yea people just open their mouth without having any substance. He also had more tackles than Goldson. People just need to chill out. Safeties aren't flying off the market. Dahl and Skuta are clearly depth and ST. Wait till the end of FA to start panicing. Seriously it's ridiculous. THE FRONT OFFICE IS SMARTER THAN YOU so please.just give it a rest.

"Dahl is a true free safety who played "in the box" a league-low 11 percent of the time."
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/15/2013-free-agency-live-blog-day-4/
So he had more tackles than Goldson but as only was "in the box" 11 percent of the time. That seems to me that he game up a lot in coverage and had to make the tackle?
Originally posted by eonblue:
Yes, he's terribly slow: Dahl 40 time: 4.53; Goldson 40 time: 4.61

Yea people just open their mouth without having any substance. He also had more tackles than Goldson. People just need to chill out. Safeties aren't flying off the market. Dahl and Skuta are clearly depth and ST. Wait till the end of FA to start panicing. Seriously it's ridiculous. THE FRONT OFFICE IS SMARTER THAN YOU so please.just give it a rest.

They hate him because he's white and undrafted. Racists. But there is evidence he could be OK:
Goldson averaged 72 total tackles the last 3 years.
Dahl averaged 75 total tackles the last 3 years
Probably signed for cheap
Started all 16 games, played ~97% of snaps ‘quarterbacking' the Rams defense who had a great defense
Athletic: 4.53 40 time / 35" vertical / track star
Big: 6'2" 220 lbs
Agile: ran the fastest 60 yard shuttle run at the combine (6.69)
Excellent special teamer
Excellent intangibles and attitude: "I'm always open for competition," Dahl said he's OK if they sign Woodson, Reed or others.
Smart = can run the defense / called the plays / / was high school QB /
Tough: played all of 2006 with broken bones on both hands
Familiar with the Rams and the NFC West
Experienced veteran
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1226150
[ Edited by maxsmart on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Or Darcel McBath, but I doubt it since hes one of Donatells favorites.

I screwed up earlier. Dahl has played SS and special teams throughout his career, and McBath was non-tendered. It does seem Dahl may be here to replace McBath.

FS: Woodson/High Draft Pick... Spillman
SS: Whitner... Dahl... Robinson/Draft Pick

I think this, along with the Skuta signing, is the front office acknowledging the need to upgrade our coverage units.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

How does it push it, if anything it lowers it. But no doubt we will still draft a Safety high, its just a matter of who's there. I'm on the Eric Reid and Phillip Thomas bandwagon. Also would love to get Robert Lester in the later rounds. You see, have no fear if Reed or Woodson aren't hear!!!

McBath is a free agent.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

I screwed up earlier. Dahl has played SS and special teams throughout his career, and McBath was non-tendered. It does seem Dahl may be here to replace McBath.

FS: Woodson/High Draft Pick... Spillman
SS: Whitner... Dahl... Robinson/Draft Pick

I think this, along with the Skuta signing, is the front office acknowledging the need to upgrade our coverage units.

Oh sorry bout that, I thought McBath was still signed.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
They hate him because he's white and undrafted. Racists. But there is evidence he could be OK:
Goldson averaged 72 total tackles the last 3 years.
Dahl averaged 75 total tackles the last 3 years
Probably signed for cheap
Started all 16 games, played ~97% of snaps 'quarterbacking' the Rams defense who had a great defense
Athletic: 4.53 40 time / 35" vertical / track star
Big: 6'2" 220 lbs
Agile: ran the fastest 60 yard shuttle run at the combine (6.69)
Excellent special teamer
Excellent intangibles and attitude: "I'm always open for competition," Dahl said he won't flinch if the 49ers continue to pursue Woodson, Reed or others.
Smart = can run the defense / called the plays / / was high school QB /
Tough: played all of 2006 with broken bones on both hands
Familiar with the Rams and the NFC West
Experienced veteran
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1226150

Wut!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

How does it push it, if anything it lowers it. But no doubt we will still draft a Safety high, its just a matter of who's there. I'm on the Eric Reid and Phillip Thomas bandwagon. Also would love to get Robert Lester in the later rounds. You see, have no fear if Reed or Woodson aren't hear!!!

What I meant is there is still a glaring hole at a starting S, where if we signed Reed or Woodson, then we'd have our starter. I'm with you on the Eric Reid and Phillip Thomas bandwagons though!
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:
Web zone specialties: jumping to conclusions, over-reacting, playing the drama queen, channeling Chicken Little and thinking you're smarter than Trent Baalke.

Don't forget the: in Baalke I trust, blatant homerism, our coaches will fix him. If we can't share our opinion on the web zone where else should we?
I guess it would be a lot better on the zone if all the conversations went:
"So were the best team aren't we?"
"Ya we rule!"
And repeat

Hey drama queen: nobody's saying you can't share your opinion. Knock yourself out! Please demonstrate your vast superiority over Trent Baalke in football smarts! It's always fun to watch. And, while you're at it, let's hear again all the many reason why you're sure the Niners are going down, down, down. It takes a lot of guts to predict failure since 31 out of 32 teams do it every single year.

lol I never said we suck all of a sudden. Just don't like this one signing in particular. It's not like Baalke hasn't got somethings wrong. I just really don't mind being wrong about it later if Dahl works out. I suppose later if it does work out you can allways tell me "I told you so, remember when I said In Baalke I trust. see I nailed it"
Oh I allmost forgot.
IN BAALKE I TRUST.

That pic was not necessary
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Mar 16, 2013 at 4:07 PM ]

I believe Godwin's Law has been activated in this thread.
I think there are several reasons Harbaalke signed him...one, the vacancy at FS. Two, Whitner's in the last year of his contract. Three, Dahl's versatile...played both SS and FS in his 4 seasons w/Rams. Four, he's a ST'er. Five, he could be a placeholder at FS 'til whomever Baalke drafts is ready, then he'll go to SS to take Whitner's place. Whatever their reasons, I wouldn't diss the signing 'til he plays in our defense. What a guy does on another team doesn't necessarily indicate what he can do in Fangio's defense. Arguably another reason he's a Niner is he's not a gambler...Goldson was and it cost him and the team. Yes, he made plays, too, but methinks Harbaugh wanted somebody who doesn't take so many chances.
Originally posted by KID9R:
"Dahl is a true free safety who played "in the box" a league-low 11 percent of the time."
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/15/2013-free-agency-live-blog-day-4/
So he had more tackles than Goldson but was only "in the box" 11 percent of the time. That seems to me that he gave up a lot in coverage and had to make the tackle?

No, it means he's lining up outside the box (ala Goldson) and his DL sucks so he's forced to make tackles as the last line of defense.
wont be starting, say hello to the emergency FS/SS
Other than the fact that Dahl ran a faster 40-time that Goldson, 4.55 to 4.65, I don't know what else to say. I was not expecting the niners to sign Dahl. He came out of no where. They will add another safety in the draft and I wouldn;t be suprised if they still do sign Woodson or Reed.
Share 49ersWebzone