There are 270 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think that holding out by definition IS complaining.

We disagree, but I will admit that your point of view has its merits.

I agree with Phoenix, it is a form of complaining. The more things he misses the louder it will get.

Complaining tends to have a negative emotive value.

Maybe, his hold out could be consider a protest. Protest and complain might be synonyms but they are not identical.

25,000 complainers took to the street in opposition to the military junta's degree.
25,000 protesters took to the streets in opposition to the military junta's degree.

There really is something negative about complain, and I am not ready to define Boone's hold out as complaining.

• kem99
  • Veteran

I agree with Phoenix, it is a form of complaining. The more things he misses the louder it will get.

Maybe, his hold out could be consider a protest. Protest and complain might be synonyms but they are not identical.

25,000 complainers took to the street in opposition to the military junta's degree.
25,000 protesters took to the streets in opposition to the military junta's degree.

There really is something negative about complain, and I am not ready to define Boone's hold out as complaining.

Not sure the complain/protest differentiation helps your argument. By definition, protesters are complaining about something. If its a law being passed, protesters complain about the law being passed. If its about a law not being passed, protesters complain about the law not being passed. The negative connotation is really just a point of view. I'm sure the military junta would view the protesters taking to the streets just as negatively as it would the complainers taking to the streets. While not always the case, given our history and political structure, "protest" may have a more organized and/or greater purpose connotation than "complain", which seems to have more to do with day-to-day occurrences (e.g. complaining about the service you received at a restaurant). And, for what its worth, complain is a synonym for protest in Word's thesaurus.

That being said, one can give Boone the benefit of the doubt right up until he skips the upcoming mandatory mini-camp. As VD has made clear over the last week, the OTA's are technically voluntary so Boone is within his rights not to attend, though he has in the past. Skipping the mandatory mini-camp, however, means he is complaining/protesting about something, with his contract being the most likely, especially considering he hired new agents with a reputation of having their clients stage holdouts to try to get a new contract.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kem99:
The negative connotation is really just a point of view.

Yes. Exactly, well not quite exactly, but my point of view is that defining Boone's hold as complaining is excessively negative.

I understand that this is my nothing more than my point of view.

Without knowing the tone, tenor, and content of the discussion between Boone and the team, I find it hard to label Boone's hold out as complaining.

If or when Boone speaks publically, my point of view may change.

Just my point of view. Others have a different point of view.

Protest and complaint are basically the same thing. Complaining is a form of protest, protesting is a form of complaining. That is why they are synonyms. Any difference is just parsing of words.

pro·test
noun
noun: protest; plural noun: protests
ˈprōˌtest/
a statement or action expressing disapproval of or objection to something.

synonyms:objection, complaint, exception, disapproval, challenge, dissent, demurral, remonstration, fuss, outcry

However you choose to define it, Boone is complaining about his current deal and indications are that he will skip mandatory practices, at which point his protest/complaining negatively affects the rest of the team as now you're missing a starter while everyone else is showing up to get back up to speed. It's not a good thing and he's foolish for trying to play these power games on a team that just got stocked up heavily on the interior OL. I predict that things will go worse than expected for him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jun 13, 2014 at 7:00 PM ]

Protest and complaint are basically the same thing. Complaining is a form of protest, protesting is a form of complaining. That is why they are synonyms. Any difference is just parsing of words.

pro·test
noun
noun: protest; plural noun: protests
ˈprōˌtest/
a statement or action expressing disapproval of or objection to something.

synonyms:objection, complaint, exception, disapproval, challenge, dissent, demurral, remonstration, fuss, outcry More

So basically 49er fans are complaining about Boone's protest, which is a complaint of his contract to which he claims is fair protest, but the 49ers believe he's just complaining??

Or something like that....yeah, I'm confused.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Boone's agent is simply not playing his cards right. It's just not a good time to force the question. Essentially you're creating a situation forcing the team to choose an alternative route to an ultimatum. It also could potentially free up money to keep Iupati or Crabtree - two players who play a much larger impact. If the team discovers someone is better, he's screwed, not to mention - Snyder - is still on the team (even though he's terrible). I guess a holdout is usually a tactic utilized by players critical to the team's success. Boone, you're a OG dude on a running team, not a LT on a passing team. It's just the worst advice you can give your player. As others have said, wait until next year to ask for a new deal with the expected loss of two high priced vets. You've just made management's job easier if they feel like a cheaper option must be considered and your salary cap space goes to someone else. You've also just given the team a really long window to evaluate their options - lol. So even if a great option isn't playing on the team today, all other 32 teams are shaking out their rosters also and there's always a great player as we know who gets cut the deeper we get into the summer. This tactic has absolutely NO leverage at all. NONE. Bad business.

Brilliantly put! I agree completely.

BTW, a protest is a form of complaint. I think the original commenter on whether or not Boone complained probably meant, did he say anything to the FO before now? I do not know the answer to that question.
Boone's agent is simply not playing his cards right. It's just not a good time to force the question. Essentially you're creating a situation forcing the team to choose an alternative route to an ultimatum. It also could potentially free up money to keep Iupati or Crabtree - two players who play a much larger impact. If the team discovers someone is better, he's screwed, not to mention - Snyder - is still on the team (even though he's terrible). I guess a holdout is usually a tactic utilized by players critical to the team's success. Boone, you're a OG dude on a running team, not a LT on a passing team. It's just the worst advice you can give your player. As others have said, wait until next year to ask for a new deal with the expected loss of two high priced vets. You've just made management's job easier if they feel like a cheaper option must be considered and your salary cap space goes to someone else. You've also just given the team a really long window to evaluate their options - lol. So even if a great option isn't playing on the team today, all other 32 teams are shaking out their rosters also and there's always a great player as we know who gets cut the deeper we get into the summer. This tactic has absolutely NO leverage at all. NONE. Bad business.

Brilliantly put! I agree completely.

BTW, a protest is a form of complaint. I think the original commenter on whether or not Boone complained probably meant, did he say anything to the FO before now? I do not know the answer to that question.

This. Boone's agent is not giving him sound advice. After the 49ers just added Martin, Martin and Thomas, considering they have Looney, Kilgore and Seymour, along with the aforementioned but hopefully gone soon Snyder, Boone really doesn't have as much leverage as he seems to assume he might by skipping mandatory team events/practices. I could see the 49ers reluctant to change out 2/3 of their interior OL if needed but it isn't beyond the realm of possibility certainly. With Looney, Kilgore, Seymour and even Marcus Martin who spent most of his time at USC playing guard all hungry for playing time/roster spot, I could see one of them making a major push for that right guard spot if Boone doesn't come to his senses.

Based on his current position, his protest/complaint/b***hing/moaning/crying, whatever you want to call it, stands to hurt him more than it hurts the 49ers so I hope he snaps out of it soon and gets back out on the field then works on a possible contract extension or raise early in the next offseason.

The 49ers took a chance on this guy when he was an alcoholic with a police record that had completely fallen out of the draft, they paid him more money than his performance had suggested at the time and really invested a ton of time and coaching into him.

I can understand the desire for better pay and realistically he should be better compensated as his pay is mediocre for a starting NFL guard, especially a quality starting NFL guard but the way he is going about things is not the right way to do it and its not the way likely to yield the most benefits for him, it is however the way that he can best encourage the 49ers to erase him from their long-term plans.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jun 13, 2014 at 7:08 PM ]
I'm 99.9% sure Boone will be there for Day 1 of training camp for a few reasons:

1) He's only been confirmed to skip the upcoming mini-camp, which is mandatory, but only 3 days long. So he's not missing much time by skipping it.

2) He will not regain his starting job upon returning if he skips TC. Martin, Looney, Kilgore, Snyder...one of them will steal his job. That's how Harbs rolls.

3) If he thinks he's underpaid now, just watch what happens if he takes his agents advice and starts skipping games. His stock will plummet. He's a good, but not elite player. Teams won't look past those shenanigans from a player like Boone.

4) Boone is a great guy, and team player. I'm sure it would kill him to skip out on his teammates. He's hungry to win a SB too, and be a part of it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

then what do you think it signifies? I know it is nice to give players the benefit of the doubt but even i can connect those dots as he is complaining and protesting by not reporting to camp. it is sort of like when an x of mine was pissed at me so she wore panties to bed as a signal I was not going to have sex. that was her way of protesting. she never said it but wearing the panties to bed pretty much confirmed it.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I'm 99.9% sure Boone will be there for Day 1 of training camp for a few reasons:

1) He's only been confirmed to skip the upcoming mini-camp, which is mandatory, but only 3 days long. So he's not missing much time by skipping it.

2) He will not regain his starting job upon returning if he skips TC. Martin, Looney, Kilgore, Snyder...one of them will steal his job. That's how Harbs rolls.

3) If he thinks he's underpaid now, just watch what happens if he takes his agents advice and starts skipping games. His stock will plummet. He's a good, but not elite player. Teams won't look past those shenanigans from a player like Boone.

4) Boone is a great guy, and team player. I'm sure it would kill him to skip out on his teammates. He's hungry to win a SB too, and be a part of it.

These are all great reasons why I expect him to be back for TC. Financially it doesn't make sense for him, football wise it doesn't make sense for him, by not showing up for TC he'd be guaranteeing the end of his 49ers career. At some point he has to realize that he's hurting himself more than anyone else.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
So basically 49er fans are complaining about Boone's protest, which is a complaint of his contract to which he claims is fair protest, but the 49ers believe he's just complaining??

only buck and his verbiage can confuse people like this
These are all great reasons why I expect him to be back for TC. Financially it doesn't make sense for him, football wise it doesn't make sense for him, by not showing up for TC he'd be guaranteeing the end of his 49ers career. At some point he has to realize that he's hurting himself more than anyone else.

Agree. There is no benefit to him holding out. He has no leverage. I'm sure he'll realize this as training camp gets closer.
Originally posted by cciowa:

only buck and his verbiage can confuse people like this

lol yup
Originally posted by 49ERnation:
Simple fix here. Move Kilgore over to boone's spot (where he has experience) then put Marcus Martin at center. Boone will want to come back when he knows his starting status is on the line because then he will only be worth his small contract right now. If he comes back, move Kilgore back over to center until Marcus Martin is ready to take the reigns. Boom. Hire me.

Yup, if I'm Harbaugh and he doesn't show to the mandatory OTAs, when I'm asked about it by a reporter, I say man, I love Alex Boone but ____ player is looking really good, we're deep with young guards & I consider RG an position of open competition for the starting job. Then tell Boone and his agent exactly that, to comeback, win the starting spot & impress with his play and maybe he'll get an extension/raise in the next year.
Share 49ersWebzone