There are 251 users in the forums

Former 49er found homeless on streets of L.A.

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • VDSF
  • Veteran

After finishing nine seasons with the NFL some might expect Terry Tautolo to be living the high life.

Few might expect the 58-year-old to instead be living beneath a Los Angeles freeway, homeless, while feared to be suffering a lasting affect by the professional sport: Brain damage.

Today the former linebacker for the Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers, Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins appears frail though as his former 49ers roommate George Visger says, still 'very proud.'

'You look at him and, the teeth missing, the eyes sunken in, but you ask him, and, "Oh, I don't have any issues," Mr Visger told CBS Sacramento.

Mr Visger, who played alongside Mr Tautolo until his own career was ended early due to a series of concussions, successfully sued the NFL for workers compensation after a gruelling battle.

He has had nine brain surgeries since, pointing to a hidden tube running through the side of his head to a pump in one instance, and says he could require more.

'None of us want to ask for help, but there's some things that he's earned,' Mr Visger said of his old friend whom he's since encouraged to be tested for similar injuries.

Mr Tautolo however has acknowledged that a similar blow to his own head, making him what he called 'a paper head,' is what ended his career.

He says he never reported the injury to the NFL, though it was enough to make him quit, fearing he could end up paralyzed if hit just one more time.

Link...
[ Edited by VDSF on Nov 16, 2012 at 8:28 AM ]
I remember him , damn ...thats messed up man
Ugh, that sucks. What happened to all the money he made? Family, relatives, even friends...no one would help him?
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Ugh, that sucks. What happened to all the money he made? Family, relatives, even friends...no one would help him?

Meds & Drugs to help with the pain?
damn, hope he gets the help he needs
With all the money swilling round in the NFL and the ludicrous money paid to today's stars, this is very sad.
Originally posted by English:
With all the money swilling round in the NFL and the ludicrous money paid to today's stars, this is very sad.
This!!
i was expecting Jose Cortez...
Originally posted by Marsh:
Originally posted by RnDm11:

Looked at that real quick, and thought he was working at a laundromat.
I thought NFL retirees received retirement benefits? I've heard these benefits are related by years in the league. 9 years is above average. I would think he'd be gettig a decent stipend... at least enough to not be homeless.

Anybody know more about this?

Originally posted by VDSF:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

Meds & Drugs to help with the pain?

Maybe he's got an account full of cash somewhere that he has forgotten about... loss of memory due to brain injury.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame

wtf? is that a Probowl jersey??
Looks like a euro nfl uni
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

wtf? is that a Probowl jersey??
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Isn't it true that 75% of Pro athletes file Bankruptcy after their career is over? Too many limo rides to the laundry mat with their possey!

As glorious as their lives may seem, they really do make a lot of sacrifices and pay the price once their careers are over!

The NFL is the most physically demanding sport out there and they are one of the wealthiest sports. They MUST take care of the players that helped make them rich!
Very, very sad.

With all the $$$ the NFL has and all the educated people running it - you'd think [hope] they'd be smart enough to do something about this.

Like take 1% of all players salaries yearly and put into a slush fund so they can help each other.
Share 49ersWebzone