There are 192 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I unfortunately have to paint a bleaker picture... it's not just the play-calling, it's the personnel moves and player development. I'm trying to paint a better picture, but the young offensive players that have joined the team since JH arrived haven't really developed that much. Davis, Crabtree, even AS, Gore, etc. all are pretty much where they are when they joined the team. The OL is marginally better at pass-blocking, they could always run-block. Kendall, LaMichael, AJ, Kyle, none of those guys are playing better today than they did when they joined the team. Furthermore, the game design and I'm assuming practices don't get these guys involved enough for them to even develop into better players. IMHO after this season, top to bottom, the offensive coaching needs to be re-evaluated.

Example: We have a 1st round WR who's a "bust" after 2 years and 2nd round pick RB who's a healthy scratch for 2 1/2 seasons in a row now.

I hope you mean on offense, on defense that has clearly not been the case. I've been saying that as excellent as the defensive coaches are, as outstanding as guys like Tomsula, Donatell, Levitt, Fangio and Jackson are, I don't see that sort of outstanding coaching on the offensive side.

John Morton? Can't say I'm much impressed seeing the way the WR's have looked over the past 2 1/2 seasons. He had the Harbaugh connection, having worked with him at Oakland and San Diego State.

Reggie Davis? This is his first coaching job in the NFL and even then he didn't have a long background of coaching in college.

Ronald Curry? He was on the Raiders when Harbaugh and Morton were there, that's all I really know.

Tom Rathman? He's a 49ers legacy, has been a coach here for a long time and I'm guessing does a solid job considering how long he's been here, plus we've seen improvements in Dixon and the RB's generally have been a strength on this offense, so i think he pretty much gets a pass.

Solari/Drevno? Not sure how I feel about them, the OL looks the same as always, they do very well in terms of run-blocking but still largely struggle as pass blockers. Not sure how well they've done but the OL has had some pretty good performances at times, I guess it could be worse.

Geep Chryst? Was a college linebacker. Terrible OC at San Diego for 2 seasons, his longest coaching job was as a TE's coach with Carolina.

Greg Roman? Dude was coaching high-school football 5 years ago. Most of his experience was coaching tight ends and the OL, he was the running game coordinator at Stanford.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Ken Zampese of the Bengals or Chad O'Shea of the Patriots, make it happen Baalke.

Dear god please have that NEVER happen!
Originally posted by Jcool:

You don't even know who they are, you just saw Bengals and Patriots and trying to be contrary just for the heck of it.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

You don't even know who they are, you just saw Bengals and Patriots and trying to be contrary just for the heck of it.

I know who they are I remember Nolan tried to hire Zampese but was blocked by Marvin Lewis. As far as a Patriot coach name me one that has been good outside of New England. But hey if you want to make uneducated guesses on what i do and do not know be my guest.
[ Edited by Jcool on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:28 PM ]
I know who they are I remember Nolan tried to hire Zampese but was blocked by Marvin Lewis. As far as a Patriot coach name me one that has been good outside of New England. But hey if you want to make uneducated guesses on what i do and do not know be my guest.

The guy who is currently the 49ers special teams coach? Jim Schwartz came up under Belichick, is going on to his 4th season as coach of the Lions. Bill O'Brien became the head coach at Penn, Pat Hill is the head coach at Fresno State, 5 or 6 of his assistants have been NFL head coaches. Dean Pees is the defensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens, he got his NFL start with the Patriots. John Mitchell got his start with Belichick, has been on the Steelers staff for almost 7 years now. Jeff Davidson was an OC for Carolina from 2007-2010.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:52 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

The guy who is currently the 49ers special teams coach? Jim Schwartz came up under Belichick, is going on to his 4th season as coach of the Lions. Bill O'Brien became the head coach at Penn, Pat Hill is the head coach at Fresno State, 5 or 6 of his assistants have been NFL head coaches.

Jim Schwartz? He was a scout for a few season with Cleveland, his first actual coaching job was with the Ravens. Pat Hill is not the head coach at Fresno State. He was fired two years ago after going 4-9 (they were 9-4 last year and so far 9-0 this year). He is an OL coach with Atlanta now. Bill O'Brien is still unproven since he had all this us against them emotion last year and this year with less talent has fallen back.

The guy who is currently the 49ers special teams coach? Jim Schwartz came up under Belichick, is going on to his 4th season as coach of the Lions. Bill O'Brien became the head coach at Penn, Pat Hill is the head coach at Fresno State, 5 or 6 of his assistants have been NFL head coaches. Dean Pees is the defensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens, he got his NFL start with the Patriots. John Mitchell got his start with Belichick, has been on the Steelers staff for almost 7 years now. Jeff Davidson was an OC for Carolina from 2007-2010.

Pat Hill was the head coach. He was replaced two seasons ago, and was hired by Atlanta as the offensive line coach. Not sure if he is still there or not, but i assume he still is.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:57 PM ]

Greg Roman? Dude was coaching high-school football 5 years ago. Most of his experience was coaching tight ends and the OL, he was the running game coordinator at Stanford.

Dear God...Please tell me you are joking about that part
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Dean Peese was let go in NE so can he really even count? NE didn't even want him around. Jeff Davidson was never a good OC. He had the 31st ranked offense with Cleveland in 2006 and the year that staff got fired in Carolina he had the 32th ranked offense. John Mitchell was with Cleveland, remember i said NE assistant not Browns assistants.
[ Edited by Jcool on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:06 PM ]
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Dear God...Please tell me you are joking about that part

No I'm not. I mean he's had quite a bit of coaching experience in the NFL and college but mostly as a TE or OL coach.

Dean Peese was let go in NE so can he really even count? NE didn't even want him around. Jeff Davidson was never a good OC. He had the 31st ranked offense with Cleveland in 2006 and the year that staff got fired in Carolina he had the 32th ranked offense. John Mitchell was with Cleveland, remember i said NE assistant not Browns assistants.

Look buddy, now you're just moving the goalpost's.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Agreed. I am of the belief that if a player plays well in the right situation, that he can play well again if put back in the right position.

I've seen Kap play incredible football. I have no doubt that he can again. People thought Kurt Warner was done after his stint with the Rams. Arizona put him back in the right situation and he lit defenses up.

This is why I always try to look at the big picture. Yes, Kap has been bad but let's not completely ignore that in the three losses he has had very little time to make reads let alone throw cleanly.

Cam Newton was standing in the pocket untouched several times yesterday and he still struggled. If Kap had the time Cam did I think he would have had a huge game.

People like to place blame on the QB and I was here defending Alex Smith for the same reasons. I don't find it surprising that now there have been two QBs that have struggled to consistently pass well in this offense.

The common denominator is the OL and the scheme.
You hit the nail on the head. I have said for the past couple of years we have one of the worst pass blocking lines in the NFL. They never fail to let me down. As far as the scheme, I have high seen schools with more advanced passing designs. Where are the hot reads, slant passes, dump-off to the running backs, the outlet pass to receivers, flooding zones with receivers, flare passes. Sending out two wide receivers with 4 back coverage is not a good scheme. I scream at the incompetency of the past 49'er WR coaches and front office in developing any talent at the WR position. I thought the late, great Jerry Sullivan was a douchebag until I have seen Johnny Morton's body of work under JH. Pitiful. Then you see the Saints receiving corp and Brees making everyone look like a superstar. There are no accidents. The Saints have Sean Payton running the offense and we have Roman, no contest. When is the last time the NIner's came close to 30 first downs in a game and the Saints rack up 45 against the Cowboys. Any similarity between the Niner offense and the NO offense is purely accidental.
How about Tom Herman, OC for Ohio state? He is likely looking for a HC spot somewhere, but he was raised in Simi Valley, CA and maybe, just maybe, he wants to coach in the NFL?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Herman_(American_football)

Its a long shot, but im not opposed to looking at the college ranks for an OC either, provided he has the credentials.

I wonder if he was doing the same thing in 2011 and 12 with Alex killing the play and calling runs?
Share 49ersWebzone